PDA

View Full Version : Input / ideas wanted on light boolit 22 mold...

CATTLEMAN
01-10-2013, 01:55 PM
I am considering trying CBs in 5.7x28 but I am unsure of which boolit would be best. My understanding is that some of the factory ammo uses the Hornady 40 gr v-max or something similar.

I would prefer a mold already in existence due to the cost of custom molds, but a custom design is not off the table.

I plan to make mild / lower velocity loads and for now don't care if they will cycle the action, but I would prefer a GC design to give me more of a velocity range to experiment with.

Do you have any suggestions that would stay around 40 grains and a profile that might chamber / feed?

Bullshop
01-10-2013, 02:11 PM
The NOE copy of the Lyman 225107 at 38gn is a realy good choice if you can find one as well as an original Lyman.
An other option is to modify a readily available mold by shortening it to lighter weight.
I have done three this way to make a lighter plain base.
A real cheap way to go would be to buy a Lee Bator mold from Midsouth and modify it this way. I have one shortened by the gas check shank length that now drop a PB at about 40gn. If you wanted still lighter because of the parrellel side design of the Bator boolit it could be shortened by an additional drive band and lube groove for about a 30gn boolit.
I would like to try the lightest version as well as the 40gn version I have already done. I am considering ordering a new mold just for this.

cbrick
01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
The lightest I can think of at the moment is the Lyman 225438 44 Gr RNGC. Mine casts WW +2% tin right at 44 gr and at .225" diameter.

Take a look at the pic, if new examples of this mold are as mine is it could be milled to loose a few grains and still get the check on. Erik at Hollow PointBullet Molds is very good at doing this.

Rick

Bullshop
01-10-2013, 09:37 PM
cbrick
That pic of the Lyman 225438 is a most excellent casting. Everything looks perfect from the clean sharp edges on the drive bands to showing the tool marks in the cavity on the nose of the boolit. If you cast 22s that well all other calibers should be no problem at all. Bravo!! Excellent work!!!

cbrick
01-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Thanks, that boolit is straight clip-on weights +2% tin cast at 700 degrees.

Rick

CATTLEMAN
01-12-2013, 01:21 AM
I really appreciate the ideas!

I would like to find one of the NOE molds -- any idea where to look for one? Will NOE make one up for me or do they only produce molds for group buys? I have bought off their web site and really like their molds.

I am not a machinist but I am VERY interested in a shortened BATOR mold -- Where could I get one machined down and what is a fair price for that type of modification?

cbrick
01-12-2013, 07:39 AM
Where could I get one machined down and what is a fair price for that type of modification?

Hollow Point Bullet Mold Service - Erik Olhen (http://www.hollowpointmold.com/)

Erik is a master at such modifications.

Rick

CATTLEMAN
01-13-2013, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the link! I noticed where you mentioned it in a previous post, sorry I missed it the first time. Mid south is back ordered on the bators until may so this project may take a while.

CATTLEMAN
04-13-2013, 04:57 AM
Just an update -- I signed up for the 225107 GB

Thanks for the great idea bullshop!