PDA

View Full Version : 1885 highwall book

kokomokid
01-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Can anyone tell me which Winchester single shot book by Campbell would have the most information on spring and sear modification or if any? THANKS LB

Gunlaker
01-10-2013, 09:49 PM
I don't recall seeing anything like that in either volume of his. They are really about the history of the rifles and people involved as well as documenting the rifle variants.

Chris.

RCE1
01-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Are you wanting to mod an original or a modern copy?

kokomokid
01-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Thanks Gunlaker, not what I wanted to hear but what I needed.
RCE1 it is an original flat spring and I think I will try a lighter spring on the sear as I don't want to stone or file on any of the original parts. Current trigger is close to 3# and I may not get it any better without going to a set trigger.

RCE1
01-11-2013, 04:02 PM
You might consider buying a modern-made replacement spring. I know they are available. It isn't a bad idea to have a spare set of springs and parts frequently broken already fitted and ready for service. When I was shooting an original 1885 in competition, I had what they called a shooters kit with all the springs that might break, as well as a spare firing pin. The original spring in my rifle did break and I installed a new one. They are typically lightened by judicious thinning with stone of fine paper till the desired weight is achieved, although it also impacts the strength of the hammer at the same time. Eventually, I gravitated to set triggers in all my target guns.

BCRider
01-11-2013, 10:18 PM
You might want to buy two or three replacement springs for this project. If you go a little too far on the first you've got backups. And if you don't go too far you've got spares.

If your trigger is at 3 lbs already and there's room with the spring power to thin it a fair amount you're likely looking at lowering it to closer to 2 lbs.

And don't forget about lightening up the trigger return spring. Often you can drop the trigger weight by another half lb right there if it's not already quite light.