PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Set Screw. Does anyone have an extra?

JesterGrin_1
01-10-2013, 03:35 AM
I just purchased a used Lyman 358477 DC and it casts a beautiful boolit. But someone put a screw in it with a flat head that will not reach far enough to set the plate screw? Anyone have an extra they could throw my way?

Other than that I cast a few and got a visit from the Tinsel Ferry but all is fine since I was wearing cotton and thus knew I was getting too tired to play with melted lead. So here I be lol.

I'll Make Mine
01-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Take the flat head screw that's there to the nearest Lowe's or other hardware store and get a setscrew with matching thread. Shouldn't cost as much as a dollar unless they force you to buy a bag of ten...

kywoodwrkr
01-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Jester,
PM sent with an alternative idea or thought and offer.
Thanks.

alrighty
01-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Screw size is a 10-32.The only extra's I have are allen head , if interested send me a p.m. with shipping details.I will get a few headed your way.

cbrick
01-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Probably be under a quarter at a real hardware store, Lowes will make you buy a bag of ten or more Chinese screws. Either way it will be much faster than waiting to get one in the mail.

Rick

JesterGrin_1
01-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Thanks Guys I think I will try my local hardware store first. I did not know it was a standard thread. :)

44man
01-10-2013, 06:25 PM
It amazes me that guys are lost about screws. I have cans and drawers with about anything, screws, bolts, nuts, washers, taps, dies, a million metal screws, whatever.
Yes, you can buy local for what you need. A working man should go in the garage and get a bolt.
Some have no room though to collect everything.

JesterGrin_1
01-10-2013, 06:34 PM
I looked lol. But I have nothing that small or fine. Now if I had to pull out a 1/4" to a 3/4" I am set for the most part. :)

I'll Make Mine
01-10-2013, 11:45 PM
A working man should go in the garage and get a bolt.

Some of us "working men" have had wives or movers delete our accumulation of useful parts (usually while muttering "trash" under their breath, or talking about how it's not worth paying to move this junk). Some of us never accumulated much of a stash to begin with, or have a stash in all the wrong sizes because we usually work on stuff that's too big (cars, for instance) or too small (camera shutters, anyone?).

44man
01-11-2013, 11:45 AM
I looked lol. But I have nothing that small or fine. Now if I had to pull out a 1/4" to a 3/4" I am set for the most part. :)
I had to read twice, sorry my friend. The screw does not go deep enough to lock the plate screw. Get a hunk of copper wire and stick in the hole. That will also protect the plate screw threads from damage.