PDA

View Full Version : Changing Gun Dealers

Stephen Cohen
01-10-2013, 02:21 AM
Saturday at the Range, We had a new guy turn up with a new .270 win, (Tikka I believe). He was being shown how to use it by one of the sales team from the store he purchased it, now nothing unusual about that, except he was being shown how to bash the bolt down on tight factory rounds. Now after some 10 rounds of this bashing and bang training. one of the members just had to go over and ask what calibre he was shooting, when told with some pride that it was a 270 win, he bent down and picked up one of the shells, which resembled a rimless 444 marlin. Yes the moron was firing 308 Winchester in 270 Winchester rifle. the day before I had just been to that very same store and purchased over $300.00 of ammo components, You bet I checked what I had purchased.

starmac
01-10-2013, 02:40 AM
Unbelievable........ It would be bad enough if a new owner was that stupid, but the store employee helping him at the range, takes the cake.

sthwestvictoria
01-10-2013, 03:14 AM
But think of the velocity he was getting!

Reminds me of Arthur Langsford with his 22LR to .17 extruder rifles:
http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/GUNS/GUNS0111/?page=18

Does give a vote of confidence in the strength of the Tikka action. Less confidence in the intelligence of two adults who are handling firearms!

Stephen Cohen
01-10-2013, 03:35 AM
I guess one only has to like guns to be employed at this store.

captaint
01-10-2013, 08:57 AM
My old gunsmith friend showed me a Sako rifle once that was chambered in .270 Win and a guy fired a .308 in it. The rifle was in pieces. Your guy was very lucky. Mike

rbertalotto
01-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Shows that those Tikkas are real strong! Yikes!

Boerrancher
01-10-2013, 10:15 AM
I worked on a Mod 70 Winchester once that the guy couldn't get the bolt open on. It was a 270, and he had been coyote hunting. The last shot he fired out of it, left the empty case stuck in the chamber and the bolt wouldn't open. Once I got the bolt open and the case drove out it was nearly straight. I thought I left part of it in the chamber, but couldn't see it. The fella that owned the shop I was working at picked up the case, and pointed out the barely visible 308 Win on the head stamp. The head was really swollen on this case, enough so that the primer pocket was enlarged to the point when I opened the bolt the primer fell out.

I have seen all kinds of dumb stuff people have done with guns, but have never seen a store employee help a customer shoot the wrong ammo out of a firearm.

Best wishes,

Joe

farmallcrew
01-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Wow. Glad im not a customer to that store. I think management needs to clean house. But glad the gun didn't blow up.

Bad Water Bill
01-10-2013, 12:14 PM
One day I was cleaning up brass at the range and picked up FIVE 270 Win shells. The neck and shoulder were expanded and the body looked like it was pregnant.

I have no idea who the shooter was or what type or caliber the gun was.

km101
01-10-2013, 01:23 PM
I saw some cases a the range that the rangemaster said had just been fired. An idiot had fired .270 Winchester ammo in a .270 Weatherby rifle. Talk about "fire formed" cases!! When the rangemaster was shown one of the cases by the shooter, (who was wondering why he couldnt hit the paper!) he immediately instructed him to leave the range! The shooter said that the ammo was bought with the rifle the previous day, and he didnt understand what the fuss was about. :)

Cactus Farmer
01-10-2013, 01:24 PM
I had a "new" cheap Remington come in my shop. The bolt wouldn't open and the "clip" (his word) was gone.243 Win WILL NOT shoot 7.62X39 and survive. The fellow claimed his son killed the deer he shot at with it! The shot was none the worse for wear but I shutter to think what his arm could have looked like if it was under the action when the "clip" was forceably ejected out the bottom. OUCH would not cover that!

jcwit
01-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Remember these folks "fools" are also voters! Scary isn't it!

pdawg_shooter
01-10-2013, 02:17 PM
I witnessed a wally world clerk try to sell some 7mm Mauser to a guy to use in his 7mm Remington mag. Told him they would work for "mid-range" rounds. Said just like 38spl in a .357 mag.

41 mag fan
01-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Sometimes you just cant fix stupid

akajun
01-10-2013, 05:21 PM
couple things, as a kid, I watched my uncle fire a 270 in a 7mm mag sako, major gas leakage, powder burns on the face, but otherwise unhurt. Gunstock was cracked, which sako replaced for free after checking out the rifle. However the gun never shot well after that. Was a careless mistake caused by not removing all ammunition form the bench from the previous rifle fired.

Another friend bought a brand new Model 70 in 270 years ago, said so on the box, however when he got home and started cleaning it, the barrel was stamped 25-06. Thinking the store had mixed it up, he checked the serial number on the box, matched. Learned to always check whats on the barrel.

Lastly, with the popularity and modularity of ar-15s/ finding 223's, 6.8's, or other ar calibers fired in ar's not for the caliber there in has become common for me when brass diving at the local ranges. Most common is finding 223 fired in a 762x39 or other chamber. I dont know if this is because a violation of the first rule above, or just thinking "its an ar, its 223.

Freischütz
01-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Years ago I had a friend who fired a 308 in a 270. The rifle had a FN Mauser action. The left locking lug broke off the bolt but the right lug held. He said there was some stock damage but I only saw the bolt and its free standing locking lug.

giz189
01-10-2013, 05:58 PM
My wifes' brother in law fired a .264 win mag thru his 338 mag rifle. Didn't hit target but didn't hurt rifle or shooter.

pressonregardless
01-10-2013, 06:09 PM

and they breed...

cbrick
01-10-2013, 06:55 PM

and they breed...

There is a reason for the Darwin Awards!

There is a good chance the action is toast. I was spotting in the shoot-offs for an experienced handloader competition shooter at a championship match several years ago, he was shooting a 6 BR XP and brought his 7 BR ammo to the line. Fired two shots before he realized what happened. He took the action in and had it magna-fluxed, good thing cause the action was riddled with tiny cracks even though to the eye it looked fine. Yep, this particular handloader competition shooter is an engineer. :mrgreen:

I hope the buyer didn't go ahead and buy that rifle, the store needs to eat it for hiring such a fool. I also hope for the safety of the customers the fool no longer works there.

Rick

Blacksmith
01-10-2013, 07:41 PM
I have in my cartridge collection a 3" .410 shotshell that has a distinct ring around it about 1/2" from the crimp and the head is split. No doubt a magnum shell in a standard chamber. I picked it up at the range and now use it as a teaching tool to illustrate the importance of proper ammunition. I am always looking for examples to show new shooters because visual aids get the point across.

DLCTEX
01-10-2013, 08:22 PM
I bought a 7.65 Argentina Mauser once that the owner didn't know what caliber is was. I consulted an "expert" gunsmith who sold me some 7.62 X 55. One shot convinced me that it was wrong ammo. I took the ammo back with the fired case and he came up with the correct ammo. I'm glad the bullet was smaller rather than the other way. A friend shot a 25 Rem. round in a 243. He got his eyes full of powder, but the 98K action held. His eyes recovered.

BruceB
01-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Years ago I had a friend who fired a 308 in a 270. The rifle had a FN Mauser action. The left locking lug broke off the bolt but the right lug held. He said there was some stock damage but I only saw the bolt and its free standing locking lug.

This is a bit surprising. My wife's FN Mauser (Browning) in 7mm Remington Magnum fired a full-power round which left the bullet stuck about 4" from the chamber, and THEN ignited the entire charge. The rifle was ruined, but the bolt lugs held perfectly while setting-back into the receiver ring a good 1/8". I'd have thought that swaging-down a .308" bullet would be less stressful than containing the full 7mm Magnum charge. The 7mm bullet was still there in the barrel afterwards....did the .308 bullet clear the muzzle in this case?

Stephen Cohen
01-11-2013, 12:30 AM
This is a bit surprising. My wife's FN Mauser (Browning) in 7mm Remington Magnum fired a full-power round which left the bullet stuck about 4" from the chamber, and THEN ignited the entire charge. The rifle was ruined, but the bolt lugs held perfectly while setting-back into the receiver ring a good 1/8". I'd have thought that swaging-down a .308" bullet would be less stressful than containing the full 7mm Magnum charge. The 7mm bullet was still there in the barrel afterwards....did the .308 bullet clear the muzzle in this case?

I never inspected the rifle, but I suspect all projectiles cleared as action did not come apart. after the problem was pointed our they left rather quickly. I intend to never shoot next to anyone unless I check what they are shooting and in what.