PDA

View Full Version : Joining the club

BACKTOSHOOTING
01-10-2013, 01:39 AM
Been wanting one since I was a kid so I pulled the trigger today [Well not litteraly yet] on a new Rossi 92 in 357, Should be here in a few days and then the stupid 10 day wait :groner:

Molds and cases are here and Dies are on the way so I'll be asking a lot of question on how to make it run right so to start with being brand new what are the first things I should i do as far as cleaning and checking the action.

Thanks, This should be fun, Steve

marlin39a
01-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Flush out the action, and lube, and should be good to go. I found the red wood a real turn off. I degreased, and began a tru-oil treatment. The wood got lighter and looks great. I am loading the Lee 358-158-RF over 5 gr of HP-38 in 357 cases. Hits hard, is accurate, and loads fine. I am going to try the Lee 358-125-RF in 38 spl soon. You should find your 92 alot of fun. Plenty of users in this forum.

Pb2au
01-10-2013, 09:11 AM
+1 on the flush of the receiver. Mine was being a real pain in the posterior until I pulled the butt stock and ran half a can of gun scrubber through it and then re-lubed it.
Double check the action with some dummy rounds for function. The only other kink I found was a failure to extract cases. The culprit was the actual extractor. It had a burr on the hook, and the front of the hook was pretty rough. Both of those issues was not allowing it to engage the rim of the case fully. I removed the extractor from the bolt and smoothed the front and back of the hook with an Arkansas stone. After that, life was bueno.

Ragnarok
01-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Welcome fellow lever-gunner..

I got a stainless .44 mag M92 a couple summers back...and it's a smooth action. It did benefit from some lube and working the action..but was nice and smooth when new.

looseprojectile
01-11-2013, 01:29 PM
I really like my Rossi lever guns.
A good read on the .357 and it's effectiveness is this article with nuclear loads.
Paco Kelly got a later start than I did with this cartridge but he caught up eventually.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/357_magnum_and_the_literature.htm

Life is good

BACKTOSHOOTING
01-12-2013, 01:40 PM
I really like my Rossi lever guns.
A good read on the .357 and it's effectiveness is this article with nuclear loads.
Paco Kelly got a later start than I did with this cartridge but he caught up eventually.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/357_magnum_and_the_literature.htm

Life is good

Good read, Could you give me some starting loads and primer choices for 38 & 357 for the Rossi 92 for target shooting with a RCBS 38-158 cm & lee TL358-158SWC with what powder you would recomend, Bullsey, Unique, 231, WSF [I have all of these]
All I do is target shooting. Thanks Steve

TXGunNut
01-12-2013, 02:04 PM
You already have the right powders. Go pour a nice pile of boolits and load up a few so you can head for the range after you get her degreased & lubed. May want to load up some dummy loads in .357 to check for cycling.