PDA

View Full Version : lee pro auto disk powder measure single stage spring

corey012778
01-10-2013, 01:16 AM
while setting my lee pro auto disk for a single stage press, I noticed the spring is so tight i can't work the lever to get it to move the disk.

lee must of used a really strong spring.

anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I am working it now to try to loosen the spring up.

chrisw
01-10-2013, 01:27 AM
once its mounted your brass pushes up from inside to move it.

they include parts and poorly written instructions if you plan on not putting it on a press.

of course it doesn't include a generic die to mount it on. It does fit on some powder through dies

chrisw
01-10-2013, 01:39 AM
if you don't have the right dies this generic one is what I use for .30 or less

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/792057/lee-auto-disk-rifle-powder-charging-die-22-to-30-calibers

they also have a spacer that raises the measurer higher- gets it out of the way of the auto primer thingy. The double disk kit is essential for most rifle loads.

EdZ KG6UTS
01-10-2013, 01:27 PM

anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I am working it now to try to loosen the spring up.

It is a strong spring! Cleaning the auto-disc while working on a used Pro1000 I unhooked the spring with needlenose pliers then used the same for replacement. The auto -disc was off the press.

EdZ KG6UTS

corey012778
01-10-2013, 04:53 PM
lee does leave out some important information about how to use it with the single stage and turret press' they cover progressive press' pretty well.

chrisw
01-10-2013, 05:48 PM
I think with progresses you remove the spring and just use the lever- sorry, I never thought you where using a progressive!

I just use it with my turret press.

trixter
01-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Corey, if you are not using the Pro Auto Disk powder measure on a progressive press, you need to take the lever off and then use it without it. The lever is for a progressive, with a chain return. On a Turret, or a single stage press, and in combination with a 'powder thru' die, the action of the press ( running the shell up into that die) actuates the the back and forth motion of the disk. Read and observe the directions and diagrams carefully and if you need more info PM me, I'll walk you through it. Once you see it; it probably will click for you.

corey012778
01-10-2013, 07:22 PM
got it on and got it set up.

thanks for the help

chrisw
01-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Be careful...

1bluehorse
01-10-2013, 08:35 PM
while setting my lee pro auto disk for a single stage press, I noticed the spring is so tight i can't work the lever to get it to move the disk.

i've used some springs from NAPA, the springs Lee uses are about 3 times stronger than necessary, press (turret) works much easier also..

corey012778
01-10-2013, 10:25 PM
I will replace the spring later.

will be careful chris.

Moonie
01-11-2013, 10:50 PM
If you are using a lighter spring please keep a close eye and make sure the disk moves back, intermittent uncharged cases suck...

corey012778
01-12-2013, 12:20 AM
I was able to find a small lot of small pistol primers (found 1200 in a local shop, going to regret only buying 100) and did a test run on 40s&w. the factory spring is not a problem in run. did have to make some type of que system to tell me when the hopper was in the on and off position. small piece of white cardboard and tape is all I did.

geargnasher
01-12-2013, 12:40 AM
All of my Pro Autodisk measures (round hoppers) have a window and an "on" and "off" embossed and painted white visible through the window when it's twisted fully one direction of the other.

Gear

chrisw
01-12-2013, 12:49 AM
I find it so easy since the brass lifts the stem to open the powder. It only takes a couple additional ounces of pressure on the press's handle to move the disk forward.

Its nice that all you have to do is one push of the press handle and physics does all the work! Its so much easier not having to use the latch and "ball bearing rope". In fact any looser spring won''t return the whole system to the starting point. Plus with the shell pressing up it completly seals the multible gaps in between the shell and other various tubes in the die, riser, and powder drop tube.

I use the adjustable power bar in my autodisk for every load less than 1.4cc. It throws +/- .1 and is a hundred more times adjustable than the disks. I wish they made a larger one for all my rifle loads.