PDA

View Full Version : Independence kansas Police Dept.

camaro1st
01-09-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm from a smaller rural community and live 15 +/- from here. The store is a acquaintance of the family. He is probably 105# in a rain storm and rocks in his pockets. Its a small store with not a lot in it some old coins and antiques. Worth a fair amount i'm guessing. in hand to hand he probably wouldn't fair to good most days. but i wanted to share with you all a little bit of justice from my area>
On 1/9/13 at approx.1031 a.m. Officers of the Independence Police Dept. were dispatched to 1819 N. Penn Ave. (Uncle Ken's Coin Shop) in reference to a shooting at that location. Upon arrival, Officers learned that a black male subject had entered the shop and robbed the store owner at gunpoint. A struggle ensued and the owner had shot the suspect. The suspect fled the business on foot. Officers located and apprehended the suspect in the alley of the 1700 block North Penn Ave. The black male subject had been shot several times, and was transported to Mercy Hospital in Independence. The subject was later transferred to St. Francis Hospital in Wichita by helicopter. The store owner was also injured during the struggle and was transported to Mercy Hospital in Independence for treatment. The store owner suffered a gunshot wound to the left arm.

the latest i have heard is that the store owner needed surgery on his arm.

1911sw45
01-09-2013, 11:11 PM
I hope the store owner heals just fine. Glad he got the best of the robber.

DLCTEX
01-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Way to go Uncle Ken!

camaro1st
01-11-2013, 08:21 PM
last i heard he is doing fine, but will take some time to heal.

bruce drake
01-11-2013, 08:29 PM
If the police were doing the right thing that ambulance call for the perp would have been delayed...

cbrick
01-11-2013, 09:06 PM
If the police were doing the right thing that ambulance call for the perp would have been delayed...

The incident happened on the 9th at 10:30 AM, that ambulance should have arrived . . . tonight some time would probably be good if the ambulance driver wasn't out for coffee or something. If so tomorrow would be fine.

If that had happened in LA the perp would have filed the law suit against the store owner by now.

Rick

HighHook
01-11-2013, 09:29 PM
More about LA. The store owner would have been charged for a felony of discharging a firearm In city limits and all firearms taken away.

Anyway, I am glad the store owner taught the guy a lesson.

DLCTEX
01-12-2013, 02:26 AM
When I lived in Oklahoma a perp in prison sued a Mom and Pop store owner for using excessive force for shooting him in the knee during a robbery and the jury awarded him $500,000. Maybe that was punishment for not killing the perp.

migtek02
01-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Iirc the course for CHL teaches to shoot until the threat stops, it also teaches you should not shoot to injure but to save yourself or you loved ones. I wonder how many legal gun owners were killed because they shoot the perp in the leg and he shoots the good guy in the head?

starmac
01-12-2013, 09:37 PM
If one has to pull the trigger, it is usually better to have just one side of the story, much less paperwork. lol

wv109323
01-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Most of the "Castle Doctrine" laws have a provision that the perpetrator (or his family) can not sue the person that shot/killed him if the shooting was justified under the Castle Doctrine law. Most of the Castle Doctrine laws have a provision that if the shooting is justified the shooter can not be arrested.
The original ruling in the Trayvon Martin case was that the shooting was justified and George Zimmerman was allowed to walk until it became political.