PDA

View Full Version : "G.F.L. 38 SPL WAD CUT" brass

hendere
01-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Hi folks. I wasn't sure where to post this, hope it's ok here. I picked up about 50 rounds of 38 special brass off the range floor yesterday that is headstamped "G.F.L. 38 SPL WAD CUT". I've seen other brands of wadcutter brass with a case cannelure where the back of a boolit would sit, but this stuff doesn't have one and I can't find any differences in it and anything else I have. I know that I can use it for any boolits, but is there any reason I should reserve it just for wadcutters? Does anyone know if there is any difference in this brass other than the headstamp?

lylejb
01-10-2013, 01:51 AM
I'm not sure of the G.F.L headstamp, but wadcutter brass has much less internal taper. I.e. it's nearly straight inside for the length of the wadcutter boolit, then thickens toward the case web. This is so it doesn't crush / swedge the wadcutter boolit to a smaller diameter.

Regular brass thickens sooner, and might swedge down the base of a wadcutter if fully seated (or bulge the brass)

If you don't shoot wadcutter boolits, it should work for any standard load. I don't recommend it for +p loads.

People who do shoot wadcutters value this brass, as it's somewhat uncommon. Out of the zillions of 38 rounds produced, very little of it is wadcutter.

A web search shows G.f.l. is Fiocchi

runfiverun
01-10-2013, 03:07 AM
it is fiocchi.
the brass is pretty good i haven't done any long term tests on it but it doesn't give me any problems loading it,and i haven't noticed it going to junk super fast.

Wal'
01-10-2013, 03:22 AM
Correct its Fiocchi..........have been using it for years in my 9mm, the local police down here use it with there reloads for training.

Have picked up thousands from our range, wish they still used .38's

km101
01-10-2013, 12:58 PM
I've shot Fiocchi for years, in .38 spl and in .44 mag. with no problems. I have not seen the "wadcutter" headstamp, but then I have not bought any wadcutter ammo in years either. It should do nicely for any standard book load. I would NOT use it or any double cannelure brass for +P loads because of the thinner case wall.

Just my $0.02!

hendere
01-10-2013, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure of the G.F.L headstamp, but wadcutter brass has much less internal taper. I.e. it's nearly straight inside for the length of the wadcutter boolit, then thickens toward the case web. This is so it doesn't crush / swedge the wadcutter boolit to a smaller diameter.

Regular brass thickens sooner, and might swedge down the base of a wadcutter if fully seated (or bulge the brass)

Thanks, this is exactly the info I was looking for. I'm familiar with Fiocchi, and have used several varieties of it for many years, excellent stuff. This will be a good excuse to pick up a wadcutter mold.

palmettosunshine
01-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Be warned though, wadcutters are addictive!

hendere
01-11-2013, 11:54 PM
I do need more addictions..... :D