PDA

View Full Version : Jamison International Brass

klw
07-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Rick Jamison, I think, use to be a writer for Wolfe Publishing. Is this fellow the Jamison of Jamison brass?

Bret4207
07-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Rick is still the reloading editor for Shooting Times, and finally got rid of that god-awful perm he had a few years back. Sheez guy! A PERM?!?!?!? People notice stuff like that.

Anyway, I don't think the Jamison is spelled the same. Don't have a copy of ST anywhere to look.

klw
07-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Rick is still the reloading editor for Shooting Times, and finally got rid of that god-awful perm he had a few years back. Sheez guy! A PERM?!?!?!? People notice stuff like that.

Anyway, I don't think the Jamison is spelled the same. Don't have a copy of ST anywhere to look.

With Shooting Times?! Now that is interesting. That, at least use to be, owned by the Peoria Journal Star my hometown newspaper.

35remington
07-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Can't answer if it is the same Jamison, but if it's having to do with .404 brass or something like that it might be. He launched his own short magnum type cases before Winchester did, I understand. Recall that from reading past issues of ST. Jamison is the correct spelling.

That is why he is no longer associated with Shooting Times magazine. He filed a lawsuit against Winchester for compensation for helping develop the WSM line. Apparently they settled, but ST could not have a writer on its staff that had an adversarial relationship with the industry so he is no longer in the gun writer business.

A shame, because I looked forward to the technical information in his articles.

Mr. Waters, good to see you here. How is life in Arizona? Any upcoming articles in Handloader?

Leverluver
07-08-2007, 03:13 PM
No, it is absolutely NOT the same person.

klw
07-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Mr. Waters, good to see you here. How is life in Arizona? Any upcoming articles in Handloader?

Mr. Walters!? Oh Lord. I've met him once, decades ago. He was elderly then. No idea how old he is now or even if he is still alive. I'm Kenneth Walters. I don't think I'll ever get past this confusion. Didn't help, of course, that we both wrote for the same magazines at about the same time.

About ten years ago Handloader Magazine stopped accepting free lance articles. Only staff work. So I haven't submitted anything to them in well over a decade. Just wouldn't be any point.

Handloader's Digest has bought and paid for three, I think, but it must be eight years now and they still haven't printed them. Maybe I'll live long enough to see those articles, maybe not. One was on bullet casting rates. Another on the Evans lever action rifle. And a third on the Starr Civil War carbine.

Flagstaff Arizona is a very nice place to live, at least if you ignore fire season. The drought here started the year we retired here, 97. Ten years without much rain is a problem when you live in the middle of the nation's largest pine forest. The drought, apparently, could go on for another 20 years.

35remington
07-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Most sorry for the mixup!

I have a few relatives in AZ, and the only thing I couldn't get past was how hot cars got in direct sunlight. Using a handkerchief to protect your hand when grabbing the door handle was a new one on me.

klw
07-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Most sorry for the mixup!

I have a few relatives in AZ, and the only thing I couldn't get past was how hot cars got in direct sunlight. Using a handkerchief to protect your hand when grabbing the door handle was a new one on me.

That's Phoenix. 120+ isn't all that uncommon. Flagstaff is much high and colder. A really hot day here, and we are having them now, is in the mid 90's. Fortunately temperatures like that usually only last a couple week out of a year.

C A Plater
07-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Yeah, but it's a dry heat ;)

The Double D
07-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Rick Jamison, I think, use to be a writer for Wolfe Publishing. Is this fellow the Jamison of Jamison brass?

No Mark Jamison is not Rick Jamison

Bret4207
07-09-2007, 05:59 AM
Ken WATERS jsut turned 90.

klw
07-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Just got off the phone with Buzz Huntington. Asked about Jamison brass. Specifically about 43 Beaumont and 43 Egyptian, both of which are listed on the Midway site. According to Buzz they do not expect to see anything from Jamison until the end of the year at the earliest. Apparently he has six production lines all going full speed 24 hours a day to fill a 90 MILLION round order.

Also asked RCBS about these two cartridges. They said, essentially, that the two rounds are different. But they also noted that back when they would make dies from fired cases they got a lot of orders for these two and there was a GREAT deal of variation in the fired cases for both cartridges.

georgeld
07-18-2007, 12:53 AM
Back in the first half of the 70's I drove a truck from Pueblo, over Wolf Creek Pass out Cortez, across 160 to 89 and south to I 40 at Flag.

Many times there was more snow at Flagstaff than there was on one of the highest passes in CO. Lovely drive long as it's done during daylight.

Haven't been thru there since Dec 75 but, I'll just betcha the Navajo's are still running livestock onto the hwy at dusk and back in the pastures at dawn.

I remember many a sheep, cow, or horse on the roadway at night.

Is anyone on here still making that drive?

klw
07-18-2007, 01:08 AM
The Flagstaff drought started in 97. It could go on for anywhere from 10 to 30 more years. We don't have winter anymore but in the summer we do have fire season. I'd rather have winter.