PDA

View Full Version : Question on preping RCBS Cast Iron Mold

SgtDog0311
01-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Howdy, got my first RCBS mold (RCBS 35-200) and first one for me that is not aluminum. Is there any difference in how you initially clean or prep this mold than you would an aluminum mold? Appreciate any and all suggestions.

chsparkman
01-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Not in my experience. Just clean off the oil and go to it. RCBS makes great molds.

Le Loup Solitaire
01-10-2013, 01:03 AM
There are various ways to clean iron molds. RCBS molds come new with an oil preservative which like all other hydrocarbons have to be thoroughly removed or you'll get wrinkled bullets. I store my molds with oil so I go through the process all the time. I dip the blocks in acetone (nasty stuff...don't breathe it and use in adequately ventilated area) and work the bands and tight spots plus top and bottom of sprue plate with a cue-tip. Dry thoroughly with a hair dryer and then pre-heat as a prep to casting. No probs. LLS

seagiant
01-10-2013, 01:08 AM
Not in my experience. Just clean off the oil and go to it. RCBS makes great molds.

Hi,
+1

RCE1
01-10-2013, 01:36 AM
I used automotive parts cleaner and a toothbrush. Acetone or denatured alcohol degrease well, too. I have a friend who boils new meehanite blocks in dish washing detergent. Then heat on a hot plate, check the sprue plate tension and start casting.

Willbird
01-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Acetone actually is not a super good cleaning solvent. I used to think so from mis education in the machine shop......typical thinking is if it smells powerful it must work good. Laq thinner is a far better solvent for cleaning things.

Bill

dg31872
01-10-2013, 09:32 AM
I started with RCBS moulds and I perfer them to aluminum. I oil them with WD-40 before storage and clean before each use. I just fill the sink in our bathroom with hot water, add a healthy squirt of Dawn dish washing detergent, and scrub with a old toothbrush. (Resist the temptation to use your wife's toothbrush!) Rinse good with cold water. Dry them with paper towels, blow the residual moisture off with high pressure air, and preheat. Works great.

SgtDog0311
01-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Thanks Fellahs, Appreciate the feedback!

cbrick
01-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Many years ago I read in Handloader an article on cleaning solvents and in short what it said was that the only common available thing that actually does remove oil & grease THAT DOES NOT LEAVE ANY RESIDUE is denatured alcohol.

I've used it exclusively ever since on all mold types, aluminum, brass and iron. It is quick & very effective with just a tooth brush, dries rapidy & ready to pre-heat.

The RCBS 35 200 is an outstanding bullet design, I thought so much of it I got the NOE clone of it in a 5 cav.

Rick

Willbird
01-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Many years ago I read in Handloader an article on cleaning solvents and in short what it said was that the only common available thing that actually does remove oil & grease THAT DOES NOT LEAVE ANY RESIDUE is denatured alcohol.

I've used it exclusively ever since on all mold types, aluminum, brass and iron. It is quick & very effective with just a tooth brush, dries rapidy & ready to pre-heat.

The RCBS 35 200 is an outstanding bullet design, I thought so much of it I got the NOE clone of it in a 5 cav.

Rick

One place I worked we had it around in 5 gallon pails...they let me have the empties (nice 5 gallon metal cans), sometimes they had a little left in them. It works really really well to clean stuff before applying loctite.

High school chem we used acetone, teacher said it left no residue in test tubes. I think I read it is better at removing a FEW organic oils or such, but less so at other things.

Bill

SgtDog0311
01-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Thanks again Rick and Bill... denatured alchohol it is. Can't wait to try this one out! Will be my first cast in yhe 35Rem. Now to dove tail some time in between moving from one house to the next. Dang what was I thinking when I kept all this stuff for the last twenty years!!!