PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Tumbler - You guys were right!

altheating
01-09-2013, 08:51 PM
You guy who have been using the rotary tumblers and stainless pins are absolutely correct on how well they work. I picked up a used Lortone Model R Rotary Tumbler from flea Bay last week. I ran the first batch through it today. They were filthy range pickups. Dumped in approximately 750 223's, stainless pins, some dish soap and Lemi Shine. Had to make a delivery so they were in approximately 3 hours. Opened it up at 5pm this afternoon. OMG! They are shiny bright and clean and no dust to breath in while separating brass from the media. Wow, I see no need to use the two Lyman dust bowls again!

max range
01-13-2013, 01:58 AM
I thought the same thing. I traded off my old, trusty Midway vibratory machine. Two months later, I wished I had it back. Not because I didnt like the spotlessly clean brass. (as clean on the inside as it was on the outside, and a shiny clean primer pocket) The pin tumbled brass tarnishes because it is perfectly clean. The vibrating tumblers are typically used with New Finish which protects the brass (somewhat) from tarnishing. So now I use both.

jmorris
01-13-2013, 10:34 AM
I keep the old ones to post load tumble to knock the lube off. Can"t do that wet with stainless...

W.R.Buchanan
01-13-2013, 01:47 PM
You really need both. You use the rotary with pins for clean up of really filthy brass and the vibro's for tumbling brass between loadings of your front line brass once it has been shot.

It is pointless and a lot more work to tumble your brass with pins everytime you shoot it. Also using the vibro to polish cases with Nu Finish will apply a coating of wax that will keep the cases from tarnishing. If you don't do something like that, your newly cleaned cases from the SS pins will look bad in a few days.

Don't ever off your reloading tools, new uses will come up from time to time for just about everything you have.:mrgreen:

Randy

Andrew Mason
01-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Also using the vibro to polish cases with Nu Finish will apply a coating of wax that will keep the cases from tarnishing. If you don't do something like that, your newly cleaned cases from the SS pins will look bad in a few days.

when do you add the Nu finish wax coating?
in the wet tumble or after the brass is removed and dried?

VHoward
01-13-2013, 05:54 PM
I don't know what everybody else is doing to have their brass tarnish after it has been tumble with stainless steel pins in a "few" days. Mine doesn't tarnish quickly. I've had some brass laying around for more than 6 months that is still shiny.

No_1
01-13-2013, 06:44 PM
I wet clean the brass with pins, dry it then run it in the dry tumbler with NU-finish. This keeps it shiny for a long time. Please keep in mind that I don't always wet clean my brass after it is shot but I always dry tumble it.

when do you add the Nu finish wax coating?
in the wet tumble or after the brass is removed and dried?

7of7
01-15-2013, 12:25 AM
I don't know what everybody else is doing to have their brass tarnish after it has been tumble with stainless steel pins in a "few" days. Mine doesn't tarnish quickly. I've had some brass laying around for more than 6 months that is still shiny.

Some of mine has been sitting around for about 9 months.. hasn't tarnished... (I do store my brass in bags of 100 pieces though..)
I have thought of using some Zipwax, instead of the soap... Might have to give it a try one of these days.. not sure how it will work with citric acid in the mix..

chrisw
01-15-2013, 01:42 AM
I keep the old ones to post load tumble to knock the lube off. Can"t do that wet with stainless...

that's my only problem.... I love my thumbler but can't figure how to clean the lube...

zuke
01-15-2013, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by jmorris
I keep the old ones to post load tumble to knock the lube off. Can"t do that wet with stainless...that's my only problem.... I love my thumbler but can't figure how to clean the lube...

that's my only problem.... I love my thumbler but can't figure how to clean the lube...

I use water soluable LEE lube and a 10 minute tumble. No problem's.

jmorris
01-15-2013, 11:18 AM
I use water soluable LEE lube and a 10 minute tumble. No problem's

Are you saying to wet tumble loaded rounds?

Frozone
01-15-2013, 03:00 PM
I Decap (Lee universal), wet rotary tumble, Resize (lube if needed), wash - if lubed (best way to remove the RCBS lube), oven dry - if washed(it's faster), dry vibe tumble /w Nufinish.
Cases are then stored in those ~$1 clear plastic "shoe boxes" from wally world until I'm ready to load em.

Oh and try "Washing Soda" instead of lemishine, works just as well, comes in a Big box and is 1/3 the cost.
All either are is a water softener.

march41
01-15-2013, 03:33 PM
I use a thumbler tumbler mod B , with ceramic media and soap from dave maurer in MI. It works great,I think buffalo arms sells it.Daves phone is 517-669-9801, he is great to deal with.

Frozone
01-15-2013, 03:58 PM
.............. not sure how it will work with citric acid in the mix..

WARNING, WARNING, WILL ROBINSON.......

Citric acid (all the citrus cleaners) is Very hard on the rubber liner of the Thumbler's Tumbler!!!!
It will break it down and cause it to 'stretch', it becomes much more susceptible to holes in it too.

chrisw
01-15-2013, 04:20 PM
humm, I guess I need to see if my lube is water soluable.

any suggestions on removing lube from loaded rounds? I've got some I forgot and loaded up a while ago. I've been meaning to ask for a couple months!

chrisw
01-15-2013, 04:25 PM

any suggestions on removing lube from loaded rounds? I've got some I forgot and loaded up a while ago. I've been meaning to ask for a couple months!

Whiterabbit
01-15-2013, 05:51 PM
I just put them in the vibratory tumbler

zuke
01-17-2013, 07:06 AM
Are you saying to wet tumble loaded rounds?

No. I size,tumble to clean then load the ammo.

hunter64
01-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Some of mine has been sitting around for about 9 months.. hasn't tarnished... (I do store my brass in bags of 100 pieces though..)
I have thought of using some Zipwax, instead of the soap... Might have to give it a try one of these days.. not sure how it will work with citric acid in the mix..

I have some brass that was cleaned last spring so just about a year and they look the same as when I first did them. I wonder if it is a humidity thing. I live in a dry climate and my brass is stored in individual shoe sized plastic bins with no lids.

chrisw
01-17-2013, 09:55 AM
I think some dishwashing soap tarnished and some doesn't. I've read this several times before and was told to spend the extra dollar for the dawn/joy I THINK and not the palm-something BUT I might be off with the brands, I don't know much about dish-soap!

45-70bpcr
01-17-2013, 10:12 AM
I use a thumbler tumbler mod B , with ceramic media and soap from dave maurer in MI. It works great,I think buffalo arms sells it.Daves phone is 517-669-9801, he is great to deal with.

Ditto. I have been using the same ceramics for years. They never wear out. I think they clean really well but by some of the pictures I have seen the SS pins may be even better. Also my ceramics will bridge in the primer pockets so I tumble before sizing and de-capping. 2 problems with that is the primer pockets don't get cleaned and don't get the chance to clean the case lube off.

Whiterabbit
01-17-2013, 12:18 PM
I dont think id wet tumble lube off anyways. I'd be inclined to put them in the vibratory tumbler to clean the lube off and tumble the loaded rounds.

Remyvtr15
01-17-2013, 11:42 PM
what about glass media?

marten
01-18-2013, 01:39 PM
WARNING, WARNING, WILL ROBINSON.......

Citric acid (all the citrus cleaners) is Very hard on the rubber liner of the Thumbler's Tumbler!!!!
It will break it down and cause it to 'stretch', it becomes much more susceptible to holes in it too.

Not seen that particular problem use citric acid all the time without breakdown and stretching of the boot, in fact lemi-shine is citric acid.

chrisw
01-20-2013, 12:05 AM
FYI- I use the frankfort armory non arisol spray lube and love it- I called and they said grumbled with soapy water not just works but is best for removing their lube. (before you load the rounds of course)

'74 sharps
01-20-2013, 08:45 AM
Wet tumbling will not leave a factory type tarnish preventative, and the cases may, depending on factors such as products used, storage temperature and humidity, have a propensity to lose their "freshly cleaned shine". A small price to pay for the advantages of vibration free cleaning, and clean primer pockets with no dust in the air.

Tumbling black powder cases to get back to the factory level is a little difficult, so accepting an antique patina sort of fits the type of firearm and powder they are used with.

Tamitch
01-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Has anyone used a tumbler from harbor freight with the SS media and the cleaning soap that goes with it? They are allot cheaper than some of the others i've seen on the internet.

march41
01-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Just spend the bucks and get thumblers mod B,it will last longer then you will,use cermic or ss pins.you will love it.

edler7
01-25-2013, 04:47 PM
what about glass media?

If you are talking about glass beads like the media used in bead blasters.....no. Tried it- it's too abrasive. Left the cases with a finely scratched surface that was more like a satin finish paint- not gloss like factory rounds.

Lead Waster
01-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Hey, do you add lemi-shine or citric acid to your water/soap mix? Citric acid is supposed to "passivate" brass, meaning that it creates an oxidized layer on the brass and it will resist further tarnishing. Also, you have to make sure that the brass is nice and dry after you tumble it, that's as simple as tossing it on an old towel in the sun.

After I wet tumble my brass, it comes out really clean but ... NOT SHINY! Maybe I leave it in the solution too long. Doing a vibratory session with nu-finish will shine them up, if that's important.

I mostly use the wet tumble for mud caked, tarnished outdoor range brass.

Anyway, if you aren't using lemi-shine or citric acid in the solution, give it a try and see if the wet tumbled stuff doesn't tarnish.

Kydaddy
01-28-2013, 10:29 PM
I add it to the corncob polishing I do to remove the lube after resizing

Kydaddy
01-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Lemishine is the trick to get it really shiny. I use it in the tumbling process and after rinsing I let the brass sit for 10 minutes in clean water with lemishine as well

Kydaddy
01-28-2013, 10:32 PM
+1 on dawn

Kydaddy
01-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Some brass p0rn fresh from the tumbler

Kydaddy
01-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Sorry. Having trouble adding a picture itch my iPad. Anyone cast some light on what I'm doing wrong?

phil3333
01-28-2013, 11:19 PM
I bought a large rock tumbler of ebay it will do about 700, 308 cases at a time, it work great for me much faster on the cleaning of the brass, the tumbler is cheaply made and will probably tear up by the time i finish this run of brass when it does i am going to make a dual drum tumbler that i can do 2500-3000, 308 cases at a time

VHoward
01-28-2013, 11:36 PM
http://biggdawgtumblers.com/5601.html
Go here if you want a redy made solution for large capacity brass tumbling. I bought a large drum from him but had the items needed to build my own frame .

hemiallen
01-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Do the tumblers need flat surfaces to roll the brass, or will a round, smooth inside "bucket" work ok? It would be easy to take something like a large coffee can, tip it so the liquid stays in, and just set up a motor to roll it slowly?

Allen

Kydaddy
01-28-2013, 11:51 PM
If it round and smooth, will need strips inside to get the brass to tumble instead of sitting at he bottom

Do the tumblers need flat surfaces to roll the brass, or will a round, smooth inside "bucket" work ok? It would be easy to take something like a large coffee can, tip it so the liquid stays in, and just set up a motor to roll it slowly?

Allen

phil3333
01-29-2013, 09:01 AM
http://biggdawgtumblers.com/5601.html
Go here if you want a redy made solution for large capacity brass tumbling. I bought a large drum from him but had the items needed to build my own frame .
dang it i wish i had known about this before i bought mine,the one i bought on ebay is stamped sheet metal with cheap press in bearings and i paid $330, oh well such is life

W.R.Buchanan
01-29-2013, 02:04 PM
You can also take a rag with alchohol on it to wipe lube off cases or loaded rounds.

Randy

gunoil
01-29-2013, 02:40 PM
i dont have tarnish! after dry on a towel, then in plastic bin.

vid of speed washer:
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/B326B3D4-1240-4616-B9CC-70CFF8494DEB-239-000004CEC9D363D8.mp4

Sig938,45xds,NAA22magum

David2011
01-31-2013, 03:13 AM

Chris,

Been meaning to answer for a couple of weeks. :) I've had great results using store brand charcoal lighter fluid on a towel. Just put a little on the towel and roll the cases around on it. Case lube and stray boolit lube come off easily. Of course, it's very flammable so a warning is required for those without common sense.

David

rcav8r
02-01-2013, 07:42 PM
I size and deprime my cases first, then wet tumble them. Then I don't have to worry about removing lube.

If I have some grungy range pickups, I could throw then as-is in either the tumbler or vibratory cleaner, depending on my mood and time, then do the lube, deprime and resize. Then in the vibratory tumbler to remove lube. Primer pockets aren't usually that crappy that they couldn't survive at least one more shooting before needing to clean the pockets.

rondog
02-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Has anyone here ever tried a very small cement mixer to wet tumble large amounts of brass with the SS pins? Northern Tool had a very small one for about the same price as a Thumler's B, but was 2 cu. ft. I should have bought one, but didn't, now it's discontinued. Other small ones on the market are 3 times the price.