PDA

View Full Version : Howitzer light loads

Jim
07-08-2007, 08:37 AM
I chose to post this here for two reasons.
1- Usually, the projectile used is cast.
2- This is a very frequented room.

I've seen questions on this subject posted many times on this forum and I can understand why someone would want to be able to do this: 'CAUSE THEY WANNA! E.G., I have a Gibbs Summit bolt action .45-70 and the recoil is quite substantial with a full house load under a 500 gr. boolit. Waaay too much for my Fiance'! Soooo, I worked up a load for her! I did the same thing for her with my Colt New Service revolver.

Let me say from the git go that I'm NOT a ballistician. I'm a handloader. I don't have a college education in ballistics and/or physics, but I DO have 30 years of experience, including some near miss mistakes, in load development. All I have to offer is what I know works for me.

If ya' wanna work up a light load for a Howtzer, first understand that the lighter the boolit, the less powder that is required to get it out of the barrel. That translates to less recoil, which is usually the reason behind the whole idea. So, start with the lightest weight boolit you can get your hands on. The round ball is the lightest "for caliber" shape you can get unless there is a collar button mold available in the caliber of choice.

The best powder type I've found for this kinda' load is a very high speed pistol type. Bullseye is right up there at the top. Unique is very popular and I use tons of it for light loads. Ya' want the powder to ignite REAL FAST so the muzzle velocity is developed quick. With a slower powder, you'll loose gas through the cylinder/barrel gap if you're shootin' a revolver.

I've found that I have MUCH better results using a compressable filler over the charge. High speed powders WILL ignite in any position, but I've had a few squibs and stuck boolits at relatively load charges without the filler. You don't need anything special for this as the object of the game is basically to just poop the boolit out of the barrel with enough velocity to hit a target with reasonable accuracy. I use cotton balls. Looks kinda' weird when ya' light it off, though. All of a sudden, there's a small cloud of shredded cotton hanging in the air 10 feet or so out in front of the barrel. I know one thing, though. It works. So does tissue paper. I've seen one guy use a small piece of saran wrap.

Finding the right charge can be kinda' scary when you're fist starting off in this. First time I stuck a boolit, I like to came unglued. I held the barrel firmly in my hand, NOT A VISE, dropped a dowel down over the stuck boolit and LIGHTLY tapped it back down the barrel with a light mallet. Popped right out. Well, that was easy! I stuck the boolit because I started with a load about 10 percent down from normal and worked down. Just before I got to the point where the boolit stuck, I could actually SEE the boolit come out of the barrel and arc toward the target. I shot a boolit up in the air one time and it came out so slow, a friend that was with me actually tracked it AND CAUGHT IT on the fall! We laughed like school children!

I got a little off track there. Light load development is NOT complicated. A basic understanding of what happens when you light off a powder charge under a boolit and how to adjust is about all that is needed. Ya' ain't gotta be a rocket scientist to figger this out.

Well, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Oh, one more thing: If somebody asks for help in something out of the ordinary, PLEASE, DON'T ask him WHY he wants to do so and so. that REALLY pushes newbies away. If ya' can't be supportive and help, just keep quiet.

Bass Ackward
07-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Oh, one more thing: If somebody asks for help in something out of the ordinary, PLEASE, DON'T ask him WHY he wants to do so and so. that REALLY pushes newbies away. If ya' can't be supportive and help, just keep quiet.

Jim,

Good confidence piece. Nice attitude towards other too. Here comes the but ............ :grin:

I would say that there is nothing wrong with asking why if there may be other things to consider or suggestions that can be made.

Buddy wanted an ultra low cast load for a 357 using a 125 grain bullet. I didn't ask why. After several holes in his basement wall, it became apparent that round balls may have been a more appropriate recommendation.

He says, NOW you tell me!" Ooops!

Jim
07-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Bass,
In this respect, I stand corrected. Unfortunately, most of the time the question of why someone would want to do so and so is rhetorical and somewhat chastising. It's impossible to inflect tone of voice in text, but the condescending sarcasm is loud and clear. THAT is what I was refering to.

I do thank you for your response. It is mature and objective.

Wayne Smith
07-08-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure I'd want to clean the barrel after the Saran wrap. Doesn't that stuff melt?

Jim
07-09-2007, 05:53 AM
Wayne,
I asked the guy about that and he assured me there was no danger of that at all. I'm like you, though. I had some reservations about that.

arkypete
07-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Jim
Back when I was dating my second wife she wanted to shoot the 45-70 bolt gun.
Back in the 70s 45-70 brass was not plentiful so I kept all the brass that I decided was 'worn' from shooting full house loads. Didn't know exactly what I was going to do with it, until I decided on plinker loads.
I found an old 45 Colt 255 grain mold that threw grossly oversized bullet .459, there about. I discovered 13 grains of Unique, regular rifle primer, a 2 inch square of Kleenex, T.P. packed down on the powder, seated the 255 grain bullet.
Almost zero recoil, low report, I could and my girl friend could shoot all day with them.
Jim

black44hawk
07-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Those that like to make reduced loads might like to use TrailBoss. it is a super fast burning powder with low recoil. I load it quite hot in my 45-70 and it kicks like a 44 special. Of course, Unique is very versatile in this endeavor also.

Jim
07-10-2007, 06:24 AM
Blackhawk,
Thanks for the head's up on the trail boss. I'd heard of it, but didn't know it is a fast powder. I'm gonna hafta check that out.