PDA

View Full Version : Removing Bevel Base from Lee 452-200-SWC

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
01-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Has anyone successfully removed the bevel base from the Lee version of the HG68 with relatively simple tools, e.g. a dremel, drill, etc. I'm sure it can be done quite well and easily by a machinist with all the proper tools (tools that I do not have).

I do not like the bevel base largely because it is a pain to put bevel based boolits the my LAM2.

Good, Bad, or otherwise, if you have tried it, please share your experience.

MT Gianni
01-09-2013, 08:56 PM
I have removed gc shanks with a level drill press and a good amchinest vise. Set things up so that they are square and level. I have heard of people removing a bb with an exacto knife but cannot comment on it. A sizer die fixes a lot of mistakes.

DLCTEX
01-10-2013, 08:51 PM
I use an exacto knife and a magnifier. Keep the blade level (or parallel) with the drive band. The aluminum cuts rather easily.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
01-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Thank you

375RUGER
01-11-2013, 09:22 AM
us a SHARP knife and make small cuts. Use a magnifying glass if you've got one, if not get one. No harm in stopping to soon and doing some test cast to make sure you didn't go farther than you intened.
I had a buggered up bevel on a new 358-158-RF so I turned it into a PB instead of sending it back.

Pepe Ray
01-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Using any thin blade requires a LOT of patience, manual dexterity and self control, but it can be done.
A better method is to scrape NOT cut.
Fashion a scraper from a medium sized 3 cornered file. A secure handle is paramount. It's your only contact with the tool.
Shorten the tool proper to about one inch with lots of handle.
Grind off CAREFULLY, the file teeth, leaving a strong 3 cornered scraper.
You'll have much better control of your progress.
BTDT
Pepe Ray

DLCTEX
01-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Sounds like good advice Pepe Ray.

Buckshot
01-12-2013, 02:18 AM
Using any thin blade requires a LOT of patience, manual dexterity and self control, but it can be done.
A better method is to scrape NOT cut.
Fashion a scraper from a medium sized 3 cornered file. A secure handle is paramount. It's your only contact with the tool.
Shorten the tool proper to about one inch with lots of handle.
Grind off CAREFULLY, the file teeth, leaving a strong 3 cornered scraper.
You'll have much better control of your progress.
BTDT
Pepe Ray

............Pepe Ray has it right. Just like getting the last tiny bit out on an inletting job ..........you scrape. Another good tool to use is a screw driver. As he mentioned for the file, cut it back to about an inch in length. Grind a flat, grind in a bit of relief on the backside (stone it if you'd like) and you have a good hand filling handle that's easy to control.

...........Buckshot