PDA

View Full Version : Are Ballisti-cast molds the same quality as H&G?

Hardcast
07-07-2007, 10:02 PM
I thought this had been discussed here once, but a search did not find it. Anyone have both H&G and Ballisti-cast versions?

shooter93
07-07-2007, 10:54 PM
I'll trow my 2 cents in here...about what it is worth too...I have H&G...LBT....NEI...Ballist-Cast etc....I think they all cast as well and probably better than H&G. They are as near perfect as you'll get for diameter and weight.and fall right out of the molds. I just got a new LBT and as soon as you open it all 4 bulltes roll out. H&G's are good molds but for the most part now adays it nostaliga and collector value. I stll buy one every now and then if it's different but I mostly buy the others for general casting. Infact I have a number of H&G's I no longer use so I may just sell them off.

mstarling
07-07-2007, 11:07 PM
I have always had a fondness for the H&G mould. Bought several of them many years ago. They are very fine molds that perform beautifully. They have lasted many years and cast thousands and thousands of projectiles.

I recently acquired two Ballisti-cast molds for large bore rifle projectiles ... and I found them to be essentially identical in terms of construction to my old H&G molds. They also performed as well.

The older I get, the more certain I am that spending money on cheaply made stuff is money wasted. I have had to replace too much of it, while the good stuff is still going strong.

dromia
07-08-2007, 02:15 AM
Am I right in assuming that Ballisticast don't do rifle moulds?

Lloyd Smale
07-08-2007, 06:05 AM
ballistic cast are the finest molds made today. Just wish Rob Applegate would make molds again though as his were really something!

Nazgul
07-08-2007, 07:56 AM
I have several ballisti-cast molds and they are excellent quality. You can't get better quality service than the people there either. They make rifle molds of all types, look at their website.

Bought an Applegate mold not long before he quit. It is almost too nice to use.

Hardcast
07-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks for all the replies. A friend of mine has an old H&G 4-cavity #130, the button semi- wadcutter design for the 45 ACP. He loaned it to me when I was a rookie caster back in the 70's. I still remember that mold as being one of the best, if not THE best I have ever used. Now a 6 cavity Ballisti-cast with handles and shipping will run about $300.00. I have to weigh that against the Lee 6 cavity group buy molds at around $60.00. Plus to get the boolit I want from Lee, I will have to honcho the group buy and hope that Lee gets it right. And this is all assuming that 45 2.1 is willing do do the drawing from the sample boolit I have. Some days I have my doubts that it's worth all that trouble just to save a couple hundred dollars. Plus, it would take at least 7-8 months (if nothing goes wrong) to get the group buy molds, and I read that Ballist-cast can make them in a few weeks.
I retrospect, I sure which I had bought some molds from H&G when they were still in business. I had no idea they were going to close the doors.

mstarling
07-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Hardcast,

Just thought I'd drop you a thought ... I have several 4 cavity H&G molds and one 6 cavity H&G mold. 6 cavity moulds are not only expensive, they are heavy! Can be quite tiring to use. You'll need to build some platform to support the mold pretty much the entire time you use it, if you want to make long production runs with it.

A 4 cavity mould is much less taxing on the wrists and arms and will make as many bullets as one person can shoot. Unless you're casting for more than one person you should seriously consider a 4 banger.

frank505
07-09-2007, 04:47 PM
How about a ten cavity mold that drops all ten bullets when the mold is opened. I want to see that duplicated this day. I love my H&G molds for casting and nostalgia. For the same reason I love my Hollywood turret press, well maybe not for casting.

Beau Gee
07-09-2007, 05:34 PM
For my money, H&G is the best available. I, too, may be struck in nostagia, but nothing I've tried works as well or as consistantly.

I use almost exclusively H &G gang molds (6,8,10), And, as noted above, this can be wearying. My fix was to put my burner and lead pot inside a 25 gal barrel.

The top of the lead pot is set to within 1-2 inches of the barrel rim. Therefore, the rim acts as a platform for the mold. Works great, with me on my stool next to the setup, all I have to do is swivel back and forth between the lead pot and my bullet box.

Hardcast
07-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Hardcast,

Just thought I'd drop you a thought ... I have several 4 cavity H&G molds and one 6 cavity H&G mold. 6 cavity moulds are not only expensive, they are heavy! Can be quite tiring to use. You'll need to build some platform to support the mold pretty much the entire time you use it, if you want to make long production runs with it.

A 4 cavity mould is much less taxing on the wrists and arms and will make as many bullets as one person can shoot. Unless you're casting for more than one person you should seriously consider a 4 banger.

Although I have never cast with a steel(iron?) mold larger than 4 cavity, I have heard the weight of larger molds is tiring. My RCBS Pro Melt pot has an adjustable piece under the pot to rest the mold on while pouring I figured that will give the arms a little rest during the process. Maybe not. Thanks for the tip and I'll think on it for a while.

P.S. I cast for myself only. But I plan on shooting many thousands of cast .44 mag loads in the upcoming years. :)

ANeat
07-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Something to consider is getting a pair of 4 cavity molds. Fill one up while the sprue sets up in the other. Dump the bullets and fill back up while the other one sets up.

As for Ballisticast they do great work. A year or so ago I was having problems with some 45acp bullets. I was wanting to use a softer alloy but the molds I had were coming out a hair undersized. Someone suggested I contact Ballisticast. Well I told them the bullet style I wanted (H&G 68), the size I needed the bullets to come out, and the alloy I was using. Took about 2 weeks and it came out just like I wanted:drinks:

BTW I only ordered 1 four cavity mold. Two would be faster of course but even with one mold Its not to tough to keep enough bullets ready to go

mstarling
07-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Hardcast,

The RCBS ProMelt is the furnace I use too. You'll need support in addition to what it offers to reduce the lifting some.

Certainly can be done. If you have little monetary limitation 6, 8 or 10 cavity molds are great! Especially the Ballisti-Cast or H&G that really do drop all of the slugs virtually at once.

If you're making trade-offs, a 4 cavity mold is worth considering.

Have fun with what ever new toy you acquire!!! :drinks:

Texasflyboy
07-10-2007, 01:38 PM
I thought this had been discussed here once, but a search did not find it. Anyone have both H&G and Ballisti-cast versions?

Well now that's a loaded question...:-D

My answer has always been...the skill is in the toolmaker, and not the tool. Hensley and Gibbs skill was found in George A. Hensley, James Gibbs, and finally his son, Wayne Gibbs. Their moulds, marked Hensley & Gibbs, were the product of their unique skill and over 100 years of combined manufacturing experience.

When Hensley & Gibbs closed their doors, they sold some of their tooling, equipment, and other items to a company called Ballisticast. They did not sell the name with the tools. Wayne Gibbs has privately told me that this decision was intentional, as he felt the name reflected a certain product, and could not be duplicated. I think he was right.

Are Ballisticast moulds as good as Hensley & Gibbs moulds? We would have to run some sort of scientific test with controls to determine.

But my personal opinion is that Hensley & Gibbs moulds are comparable to none. Just as Lyman's are, Lee, and other mfg's. Each reflects a certain product, skill, and customer perception of quality.

One unscientific way to gage that perception of quality is by the resale value.

No other moulds sell for as much on eBay or other auction sites as Hensley & Gibbs moulds.

And by the way, I may be an RKI on Hensley & Gibbs, but I do own Lyman, SAECO, and other mfg's moulds. But, I treasure my Hensley & Gibbs moulds, I know quality when I see it. Casting 10 bullets at at time with my #115 is a sight to behold...

Just my .02...:coffee:

Firebird
07-11-2007, 02:55 AM
I've never used a ballisticast or H&G mold, but from postings on here and texasflyboy's excellent website on H&G molds, I think the biggest difference between H&G and everyone else is that you only received used molds from H&G. They tested EVERY SINGLE MOLD, and if bullets stuck, or weren't round or were the wrong diameter that mold was either fixed or trashed. This is something no commercial business can afford to do today - we buyers simply won't pay the price. But as a result H&G never sent out a bad mold, which gives a business a pretty good reputation. I'm sure some people who were learning how to cast probably didn't know how to work a mold properly and sent it back as "bad", but that's not H&G's fault though they may have been blamed.
Go through the "Lee-menting" posts on what to do to get a 6 cavity Lee mold to work properly, and think about how much it would cost to have a skilled machinist do all the checks and fixes on every mold. Lee molds are a great value because you don't pay for what you don't get - i.e. a mold that is tested to work right out of the box. Lee has treated the members here fairly well on our group buys, re-cutting molds that they messed up and even paying for shipping. But we go into a group buy knowing that Lee is giving us fairly large tolerances and we have to put up with them. The group buy molds are a good value, but they aren't great molds until we spend some time and effort to re-work them. H&G molds weren't cheap, but you KNEW that they were going to work right out of the box without any problems.

ANeat
07-11-2007, 09:59 PM
I've never used a ballisticast or H&G mold, but from postings on here and texasflyboy's excellent website on H&G molds, I think the biggest difference between H&G and everyone else is that you only received used molds from H&G. They tested EVERY SINGLE MOLD, and if bullets stuck, or weren't round or were the wrong diameter that mold was either fixed or trashed. This is something no commercial business can afford to do today - .

It is my understanding that Ballisticast does a similar test on all molds. And no they are not cheap. The mold I have was a nice straw color when new from where it had been used to test.

Hardcast
07-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks to all who replied. Looking at the sample boolits that JLL sent me, and reading some posts here from very unhappy Lee GB owners, I think I will go ahead and order a 1103 4-cavity from Ballisti-cast. That is, unless I'm lucky enough to get an H&G on E-bay.

klw
07-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Like H&G, Ballisti-Cast moulds are works of art.

And Ballisti-Cast makes rifle moulds and will do custom work. I had them copy RCBS 50-515-FN because I wanted a gang mould.

On their larger bullets they may want to use a six cavity block blank but only cut four or five cavities into it. If they recommend that, follow their advice. The two times I didn't take their advice I found out the hard way that they knew what they were talking about and I did not.

GLL
07-12-2007, 09:52 PM
All of my Ballisti-Cast moulds are 4-cavity. I have two H&G moulds and they are 2-cavity. Examining mine I feel the Ballisti-Cast are superior construction BUT that is comparing apples and oranges. I have never had the opportunity to hold a 4,6, or 8 cavity H&G but trust Texasflyboy's experience in this matter !

I DO know that Ballisti-Cast service is outstanding. During my last order I asked questions about a mould and they sent sample bullets in a particular alloy for me to look at ! Can't beat that in my opinion !

I sure would love to own a nice selection of H&G moulds though, but it would require selling off my house.

Jerry

Hardcast
07-12-2007, 10:06 PM
I sure would love to own a nice selection of H&G moulds though, but it would require selling off my house.

Jerry

Jerry,
Just a few minutes ago I was bidding on a new or like new 4 cav H&G 503 with handles. I was high bidder at $177.50 for a little while. Then in the last few minutes it went way up and sold for $305.00 plus shipping. I wonder if any other of our forum members were bidding on it? Well, that's it for me and the e-bay 503s. Tomorrow I call Ballisti-cast.

klw
07-12-2007, 10:30 PM
All of my Ballisti-Cast moulds are 4-cavity. I have two H&G moulds and they are 2-cavity. Examining mine I feel the Ballisti-Cast are superior construction BUT that is comparing apples and oranges. I have never had the opportunity to hold a 4,6, or 8 cavity H&G but trust Texasflyboy's experience in this matter !

I DO know that Ballisti-Cast service is outstanding. During my last order I asked questions about a mould and they sent sample bullets in a particular alloy for me to look at ! Can't beat that in my opinion !

Jerry

Prices can skyrocket on e-bay if you get a novice buyer or someone with more money than brains. That said, if you are patient, the 8 and 10 cavity H&G moulds are occasionally down around $150.

GLL
07-13-2007, 10:48 AM
klw:

I watch the H&G auctions and do indeed see some nice looking 6-cavity moulds in the $150 range, but they are usually the wadcutters.

When a nice SWC ,such as the #503, shows up the prices soar. This is what Hardcast recently experienced as well.

You also have to worry about the condition of these used moulds. I purchased an "excellent" 2-cavity H&G that would not even be considered a decent fishing weight. It was absolute trash.

Although the Ballisti-Cast moulds are not H&G's, at least I am confident I get a mould that will drop perfect bullets. Used moulds can be a big gamble as we all know ! Used H&G moulds can be a very expensive big gamble! :) :)

Jerry

Hardcast
07-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Ordered the Ballisti-cast 1103 this morning. Estimated delivery- 2 weeks to a month. The prices on their website are from 2003, and the new prices are significantly higher.

Drifter
07-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Hardcast,
I think you made a wise decision going with Ballisti-cast. I purchased 3 six cavity moulds from them about a month ago and have only had a chance to use 2 of them but they're better than anything I've ever used. I think you'll like it and it'll be worth the wait.
Drifter

Hardcast
07-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Hardcast,
I think you made a wise decision going with Ballisti-cast. I purchased 3 six cavity moulds from them about a month ago and have only had a chance to use 2 of them but they're better than anything I've ever used. I think you'll like it and it'll be worth the wait.
Drifter

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. :)

David2011
07-21-2007, 03:37 PM
I have to agree withthe comments about 6 cavity molds being heavy. My .38/ .357 6 holer weighs 4.5 pounds without bullets and sprue. Similar RCBS and Lyman 4 cavity molds are in the 2.5- 2.75 pound range. It feels very heavy when held unsupported by the handles.

David2011

Hardcast
07-24-2007, 05:02 PM
The new Ballisti-cast 4 cavity 1103 mold arrived today. Just 11 days after I ordered it. What a thing of beauty! I put one of GLL's sample boolits in a cavity and it fit just like it came out of this mold. Holy cow!!!!!!! Now I need to get a .430 sizer die for my Star Lubsizer. I did not expect the mold to arrive this soon and got caught with my pants down.

ANeat
07-24-2007, 09:44 PM
What a thing of beauty! .

Yes; does it have that nice golden hue to it where it was heated up the first time?
There molds are very nice.

Hardcast
07-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Yes; does it have that nice golden hue to it where it was heated up the first time?
There molds are very nice.

Yes, both the mold and the sprue plate have that hue. When closing the sprue plate, it feels like it's on ball bearings.

LAH
07-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Hardcast:
You're going to like that 1103. I have one done by Dennis Edwards and his moulds do not compare to the the current owners of Ballisti Cast.

Hardcast
07-26-2007, 06:28 PM
I do not see anything in the Ballisti-cast manual about lubing the handles hinge, the sprue plate, or the alignment pins. What is SOP for steel molds nowadys?

yammerschooner
07-30-2007, 10:18 PM
Over the last few weeks I have cast well over 30,000 bullets using 2 cavity ballisticast molds. They have been very consistent, and bullets have dropped from the molds without any other treatment than a good cleaning. I have been very happy so far.

I have never used a H&G mold, so I am unable to provide a comparison between the two.

brshooter
08-02-2007, 07:41 PM
I have 7 H&G molds, 4 ea. 4 cavity and 2 ea. 6 cavity and one 10 cavity. As I have a Gatling Gun in 45-70 needed a 405 gr. bullet for it. Ordered 2 Balisticast molds, 5 cavity, for that bullet. Reason for the 5 cavity was that the bullets were so big that 6 cavity mold would over heat. Recieved them and am well pleased. They have been pre-tested and I have cast several thousand bullets with them. I use them with a 90 lb. bottom-pour Magna-eng. pot. The molds are just as good as the H&G's I bought 30 years ago. Yes, I would buy from them again. Beats the crap Lee and Lyman molds hands down.

BluesBear
08-03-2007, 01:03 AM
[QUOTE=brshooter] As I have a Gatling Gun in 45-70...[QUOTE]

:shock:

DROOL!!!