PDA

View Full Version : A little patience with new members

Jim
01-09-2013, 10:37 AM
It seems that recently, our membership has been growing very rapidly. Lots of new people coming on board and lots of questions and comments.

Quite often, new people have questions that have been discussed multiple times over in the past. We need to keep in mind that these new members might not have been around when these old subjects were covered.

When I joined this group ten years ago, I came in with my own questions that most of the old members considered old hat. They were patient with me, though, and helped me navigate through the fog like they had done so many times before with other new members.

It's very easy to demonstrate impatience. "What's a good load for .38 special?" "Go read the stickies!" Rather than give a short, curt answer, how much time does it take to find a thread, copy & paste the link in an answer and reply with something like "Try this, might help you."

These new members joined because they saw something here that attracted them. We can continue to demonstrate that which drew them or insult them with our impatience. If the repitition of old questions irritates you, please, just disegard it rather than respond with an answer than might be misconstued as impatient.

I have no place or authority to call someone out over conduct. My tenure here means nothing. I'm just a grunt in the trenches like everybody else. I'm ASKING, with all due respect and courtesy, that you take into consideration the fact that every new member has questions about the same old things. Let's be mindful that they're new here and a little friendly help will make a big difference. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

jmort
01-09-2013, 11:01 AM
I agree that there should be a red carpet, "no stupid question" type deal. For me I spent many hours reading everything I found interesting first, but I'm an info junkie.

TJF1
01-09-2013, 11:23 AM
I agree with you jim
terry

gbrown
01-09-2013, 11:35 AM
+1 on your thoughts Jim. When I first got on, I pulled some boners. Some members were patient and helpful, a very few were rather rude. That's the big plus here, the vast majority are willing to help. Some just can't help who they are.

Roosters
01-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Good post Jim.
Most new come to ask the same basic questions. Eventually these will be the people that the new ones will be asking the same questions. Like raising a kid, no question is silly if you want them to learn.

linotype
01-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Good point, Jim. I would have been dumber than dirt if it hadn't been for the time and patience of others, like my teachers, parents, co-workers, friends, and the members of this Forum, to name a few. It's also kept me humble, when I realise how much more I can learn each day.

oldred
01-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Very good post Jim and you are 100% right, this has (unfortunately) been talked about before but if it's a problem for some the solution is very simple, if a person is annoyed by the question being asked just ignore it! Not a single one of us is required to provide answers nor is anyone forced to read every post so why the dickens is it a problem for some folks if someone else asks something that may seem self explanatory to some of us?

Czech_too
01-09-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm in total agreement here. I'm a relative NEWB and sometime even using the search function can get you so many threads to read that you can get discouraged. So that may prompt you to ask a question that has already been asked X number of times already.

fishhawk
01-09-2013, 01:25 PM
HA! You should be on this side of the curtain if you want some real frustration! Responding to a repetitively asked question is nothing! Just grin and bear it guys and remember you were new to this at one time to!

foesgth
01-09-2013, 01:31 PM
I'm a new guy. First of all I want to thank all of you for the information you have built up here over the years. When I had a question I found the answer here. That has kept me from making the kind of stupid post you have been discussing. I will put in my two cent however. I am on several other forums and the search function on this one is the worst. I worked as a computer nerd and feel that I'm well versed in using search functions. Many things on this site don't function well for me. However the information available works great! However at my stage of the game ALL the answers are in the stickies. So thanks for the help, you great gods of molten metal!!!

runfiverun
01-09-2013, 01:31 PM
just skip the thread if you don't wanna respond.
another new guy that just figured it out will be happy to answer the question or help figure it out.

i could copy and paste the majority of new guy answers as my sig line,but that don't open the lines of communication.
you might need the new guy's help in figuring out an electrical issue on your chevy truck.....or sumthin.

Greg
01-09-2013, 01:38 PM
I agree fully

Bad Water Bill
01-09-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm a new guy. First of all I want to thank all of you for the information you have built up here over the years. When I had a question I found the answer here. That has kept me from making the kind of stupid post you have been discussing. I will put in my two cent however. I am on several other forums and the search function on this one is the worst. I worked as a computer nerd and feel that I'm well versed in using search functions. Many things on this site don't function well for me. However the information available works great! However at my stage of the game ALL the answers are in the stickies. So thanks for the help, you great gods of molten metal!!!

At the moment the site is undergoing MAJOR changes.

If you want to share your puter stuff contact a moderator and they can send you in the right direction.

WELCOME to the best site in the universe and constantly improving to make it better.

Smitty's Retired
01-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Good post Jim. Too many times (mainly on other forums) someone with a simple question, who may not be as computer literate as some, may have a hard time finding some features available, and too many times are subjected to posts that basically condem them for even asking. There is a tactful way for any response. If you believe a post has been covered recently, it's easy to provide a link to this. Everybody was a newbie at one time.

bruinruin
01-09-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm a noob here, but long time member on another board and have seen the treatment a lot of old timers over there have dished out to noobs and it was nearly always uncalled for, rude and unhelpful.
With that knowledge in my pocket when I came here, I made a point of looking for threads on the topics I needed help with, with the express purpose of avoiding being cast as the dumb noob.

That said, I appreciate and agree with the original poster on this thread. People come here to learn and enjoy and will find their way around this vast board in time. Meanwhile, it doesn't hurt to either ignore the noobs if they bother you, or try to be helpful to them. Everyone was a new guy at some point, as I still very much am.

hiram1
01-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Good on you jim i know im here to help and get help.so if i can help some one along the way i sure will just to pay back having you guys here if i ever need help.and by the way THANKS to all the guys here and the help they have given me in the past.GOD guns and guts

Mooseman
01-09-2013, 06:01 PM
I enjoy helping any New person with casting /reloading/ gun questions when they ask.
What gets under my skin is when you try to answer their question and teach them , then they want to argue with you like "well i read this blah blah on the internet...." or I want one alloy i can push to mach 3 and have it expand in an animal, etc...and then when you try to explain one size don't fit all they don't want to accept it and the next day they are asking the same questions again.:roll:

Jim
01-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Been there an' done that. I just don't respond. Sooner or later, they run out of people that try to help.

Hamish
01-09-2013, 06:22 PM
A little reminder now and again is never a bad thing. Meant to comment some time ago about noticing going from one or 2 new members a day to 25 and 30. Going to be a heap of new minds that if treated well when new guy's may just be the guy's to help advance the extreme lube effort or who knows what.

oldred
01-09-2013, 06:24 PM
I suppose some people (only a few however) aren't really looking for an answer so much as they are looking for someone to support their ideas, then some will want to argue with the answer they receive if it's not what they want to hear. This type of thing is rare and is a different situation than a newbie asking an old question, if someone is really asking a question and truly wants an answer then there's nothing wrong with helping them out no matter how many times it's been asked.

DCM
01-09-2013, 08:27 PM
I enjoy helping any New person with casting /reloading/ gun questions when they ask.
What gets under my skin is when you try to answer their question and teach them , then they want to argue with you like "well i read this blah blah on the internet...." or I want one alloy i can push to mach 3 and have it expand in an animal, etc...and then when you try to explain one size don't fit all they don't want to accept it and the next day they are asking the same questions again.:roll:

Yup!! REALLY annoying when someone asks a question then says you gave them the wrong answer! So why did they bother asking????
EDIT: I think Oldred gave the best answer to that yet.

Jim is correct we were all new here at one time and none of us is without sin.
I certainly have had my moments. [smilie=1:

We need all the people we can get especially now!

firefly1957
01-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Good thread Jim we all need a reminder now and then.

Boolseye
01-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Excellent point, Jim. I was on another forum the other day and could hardly believe the way a noob was being treated, simply asking basic questions about components. I think he was blessed with oblivion, and could not tell that he was being mistreated.
As a relative noob myself (though I like to think a pretty advanced one) I occasionally will get a little hot & bothered if I perceive that someone is scolding me or pulling an attitude. Part of the problem here is that intent and emotion are not transmitted well in the electronic word–that's why those little emoticons actually come in handy. We can't assume that others "get it," or understand where we're coming from if we don't use enough detail and a dose of humility. By the same token, we noobs ('cause we're all noobs sometimes!) need to practice that same humility and know when we're being defensive or ornery.
PMs can be good if we've come across bad and want to make it right.

smoked turkey
01-10-2013, 12:43 AM
A little reminder from time to time is good Jim. I have lurked around here for a while now but compared to some of the seasoned members I am and will be a noob for a while yet. There is so much knowledge here that I can learn something everytime I check in.

chrisw
01-10-2013, 12:47 AM
Thanks Jim, great advice!

There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers.

waksupi
01-10-2013, 02:16 AM
I think some get cross grained, if they come here being well versed in reloading jacketed bullets. They figure they have a pretty good handle on things. And a strong knowledge in reloading is a good thing to have, to come here to learn how to hand load. Aside from brass prep though, you pretty much need to forget whatever else you think you know, when you start in with cast boolits.
I'm glad there are so many here to answer the questions. Like most of the staff, I don't have time to read all of the threads of interest to us, let alone respond to many posts that catch our eye.

Derenius
01-10-2013, 03:46 AM
For what it's worth, I have never yet experienced someone here being rude. I'm new to these boards as well, and I have been treated very well indeed.
As stated in the first post, there was initially something that got every one here to register. For me, t'was the vast knowledge and the good nature this board seemed to offer.
It has not disappointed me yet.
So, thank you all who has had any to do with me, and answered my questions!

captaint
01-10-2013, 08:47 AM
I think most all of us were new here at one time. I don't mind helping the new guys out. I was there not long ago, and got plenty of help from the great folks here. I do, however, sometimes recommend people read some stickies. When I was new, I did spend a lot of time just reading - and did manage to get many questions answered that way. We do what we can. Mike

Taylor
01-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Jim,I agree with you also.Plus,I don't believe that their is a stupid question.Especially when it comes to someones safety.Sometimes we just don't find what we are searching for,and have to ask.

Bodine
01-10-2013, 09:18 AM
As a former admin on another forum I have always tried to help the new guys, encouraged them to ask questions because there are no stupid questions. The hard part for me was giving others the opportunity to answer the questions asked. Especially on computer issues and reloading data.

44man
01-10-2013, 09:41 AM
You and Jim make good points. Everyone knows I don't like gun rags and some other sites are full of "experts". It does no good for a new fella. The repeat of stuff is important because some stuff gets hard to find. I actually prefer an E mail or a PM that frees up a thread. Yet I also need to take time to offer suggestions. That is the key to this site, things that are safe to try out.
The hardest thing to explain is to stop looking for the fastest a gun can shoot and that is common with a guy with a new magnum. He is searching for speed. He reads that someone gets a gazzilion fps or a million pounds of muzzle energy. He reads reason here but wants more.
In the end it is a small percentage and most new guys find a home. Soon they also offer.

300winmag
01-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Nice post Jim,
It is nice to help someone that is willing and trying with good effort. When a person dies or a mind is lost a library is also lost. Please pass on what you can to those that want to learn.
This is a great site for knowledge in many ways. Thanks to all! :coffee:

o6Patient
01-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Good post, I thank you (all) as a relative newbie myself to this site.
Being a newbie to the site doesn't always mean you're a newbie to the
sport. I could be talking to some one with 10 posts and also be speaking
with a master gunsmith w/ 50 years experience. If we got shot for
asking a stupid question at one time or another...we wouldn't be con-
versing right now...none of us.:veryconfu

farmallcrew
01-10-2013, 10:39 AM
I joined another forum, and asked a question about a caliber i didnt know much about. Pretty much the assonine answers i got were," if you dont know what your reloading, dont do it, you need to know every cartridge ever made before you reload" . After i got the answer i was looking for i politely told them off, and closed the thread. But thanked the person who actually helped me.

YunGun
01-11-2013, 01:22 AM
Given that I'm one of those new members with incessant questions that have surely all been answered countless times before, my hat is off to all of you for taking the time to help school some of us newbies! Thank you!

01-11-2013, 07:04 AM
I search and read the stickies and still ask, to get a more personal answer. Asking a question is just more fun. Y'all have been great help and I love the rare opportunity to actually help someone newer than me.

chrisw
01-11-2013, 12:50 PM
And a reminder to nOObs like me, we make mistakes and ask stupid questions but always at the very least pretend to listen and thank the answers. Its even better to keep an open mind and actually listen!

ncbearman
01-11-2013, 01:04 PM
I have to say that as a new member here I am very impressed with the willingness to help and accommodate. I came in with a good eye for shooting and have not reloaded since watching my Dad do it in the 60's. I can also sense the intention to make and keep this a forum that is like no other. I joined another forum at the same time I did this one and have been criticized and ridiculed too many times. I don't even go there any more. One thing I ran into early on was I tried to use the search for some of my questions, but as you know alot of things come up as the search goes after every word in your request. Sometimes it can take a long time to search through your search. So I would ask the question. There were a couple that said "use the search" but mostly my questions were answered. I was especially gateful for the step by step procedure on how to do a chamber cast. When i was done i presented my photo's and was told "PERFECT". I typically don't like to drop names but his initials are GEAR :o THANKS TO ALL. I look forward to being a member here and some day a contributor for a long time to come.

Russ

PS Paul
01-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Jim, I know I've said it before in a thread and in a PM, but this is why you are one of my very favorites on this forum. You've helped me out a few times, as have several others on this board, and the willingness to share is just one of the MANY things that are great on this forum. Bad Water Bill is right up there too and he is absolutely RIGHT about this being the BEST site in the Universe.

I still consider myself a newbie and have been slammed once or twice by a Member or two, but I do know the vast majority of folks on this board are just plain great folks. So I keep coming back and have been able to help out a few newbies myself, so thank for puttin' this out there and the reminder to the "less than entirely patient" responders out there too......
Paul

bucklind2
01-11-2013, 11:35 PM
I am a newbee and appreciate the tolerance the so called old times have shown. Thanks Guys!

runfiverun
01-12-2013, 01:01 AM
Good post, I thank you (all) as a relative newbie myself to this site.
Being a newbie to the site doesn't always mean you're a newbie to the
sport. I could be talking to some one with 10 posts and also be speaking
with a master gunsmith w/ 50 years experience. If we got shot for
asking a stupid question at one time or another...we wouldn't be con-
versing right now...none of us.:veryconfu

you should see how low jim taylor,and mike venturino's post counts are.
there are some others too.
they come through, sometimes they post,but they read through quite often

Just Duke
01-12-2013, 09:05 AM
HA! You should be on this side of the curtain if you want some real frustration! Responding to a repetitively asked question is nothing! Just grin and bear it guys and remember you were new to this at one time to!

I am also on the other side of the curtain. We had 10 forums at one time and whittled it down to handful and reformatted one. They expected us to have all the answers just because we were the ones that clicked submit and activated the forums. For some reason though all were pretty much behaved though. puzzling.....

Just Duke
01-12-2013, 09:52 AM
It seems that recently, our membership has been growing very rapidly. Lots of new people coming on board and lots of questions and comments.

Quite often, new people have questions that have been discussed multiple times over in the past. We need to keep in mind that these new members might not have been around when these old subjects were covered.

When I joined this group ten years ago, I came in with my own questions that most of the old members considered old hat. They were patient with me, though, and helped me navigate through the fog like they had done so many times before with other new members.

It's very easy to demonstrate impatience. "What's a good load for .38 special?" "Go read the stickies!" Rather than give a short, curt answer, how much time does it take to find a thread, copy & paste the link in an answer and reply with something like "Try this, might help you."

These new members joined because they saw something here that attracted them. We can continue to demonstrate that which drew them or insult them with our impatience. If the repitition of old questions irritates you, please, just disegard it rather than respond with an answer than might be misconstued as impatient.

I have no place or authority to call someone out over conduct. My tenure here means nothing. I'm just a grunt in the trenches like everybody else. I'm ASKING, with all due respect and courtesy, that you take into consideration the fact that every new member has questions about the same old things. Let's be mindful that they're new here and a little friendly help will make a big difference. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Thanks for posting this here Jim.
When I joined here I thought I was the cast bullet king because I had been doing it for so long. Very shortly after I found out I didn't know squat.
Without fellas like JonK, SOF Match, and others who have unselfishly and meticulously hand groomed me in my venture I would have never made it this far.
I also have verbal contract obligation with a life long friend to pass what little I do know compared you gents on to others.HERE (http://50caliberforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=openrange&action=display&thread=2004)
I have shared my meager pittance of knowledge I have retained unselfishly to anyone and everyone that wanted to listen.
I do hope one day to make to rank amateur here.

For some this is a hobby which is fine. But in a malevolent political atmosphere, lack of Purified H2O, planet wide abuse of natural resources and world population of mouth breathers doubling over the next 10 years my learning here will hopefully extend my existence.
So yes I was there once Jim. There should be no such thing here as clique's either I might add.
This data should not perish with us and needs to be passed on.

drklynoon
01-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Nice post jim. I was one of the arguing guys about a problem I was having once. I believe I fixed it by abandoning a thread that was originally, poorly written and started another one that was much more specific. This was years ago but sometimes it is helpful to sit back and examine why one is getting answers to a question that is not the question they were trying to ask lol. My point is that it is difficult to convey all the information that is needed in order to answer a question and when someone does give all the information needed often this will lead the conversation into different areas than what the poster intended. Being patient does not only apply to answers of threads but to thread starters. Writing is hard and after years of experience and education I still find myself rambling from time to time, much like I am now ;-)

waksupi
01-12-2013, 01:07 PM
If one comes here being accustomed to other forums, they will notice a certain amount of, uh, thread drift. We are famous for going off topic here. While trying to figure out why your gas check doesn't fit, in that same thread you may also learn how to train a bird dog, balance a mower blade, and fillet a fish. Eventually things drift back to the original question with some good answers and ideas given, and more esoteric knowledge gained on archaic subjects. And we will probably know your favorite brand of beer!

Derenius
01-12-2013, 02:26 PM
If one comes here being accustomed to other forums, they will notice a certain amount of, uh, thread drift. We are famous for going off topic here. While trying to figure out why your gas check doesn't fit, in that same thread you may also learn how to train a bird dog, balance a mower blade, and fillet a fish. Eventually things drift back to the original question with some good answers and ideas given, and more esoteric knowledge gained on archaic subjects. And we will probably know your favorite brand of beer!

And I love that! It's hilarious!

Bad Water Bill
01-12-2013, 02:43 PM
And I love that! It's hilarious!

You never Know just how much you can learn on Castboolits.

And you are never to OLD to learn something new.

Nor just when it will become VERY important.:)

41 mag fan
01-12-2013, 02:45 PM

thread drift around here??!!! Who would of thought!!
Usually if a thread does drift, it's because we're so smart our minds are one step ahead of our fingers...!! Now the question was the best way to slice a roast to make jerky...I think it's with the grain..... [smilie=1:

Bad Water Bill
01-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Now the question was, the best way to slice a roast to make jerky...I think it's with the grain..... [smilie=1:

And what cut of meat would you need from your favorite butcher?

9.3X62AL
01-12-2013, 03:49 PM

^^^THIS^^^ is probably the key to this site's overall success. The mods and admins don't restrict the flow of info, and the thread drift seen in the texts here follows the pattern of natural human conversation. It adds considerably both to the charm this site possesses, and to its value as a storehouse of useful information. Sola mi dos centavos......

Just Duke
01-12-2013, 04:00 PM
^^^THIS^^^ is probably the key to this site's overall success. The mods and admins don't restrict the flow of info, and the thread drift seen in the texts here follows the pattern of natural human conversation. It adds considerably both to the charm this site possesses, and to its value as a storehouse of useful information. Sola mi dos centavos......

Agreed!!!

blackthorn
01-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by 41 mag fan
Now the question was, the best way to slice a roast to make jerky...I think it's with the grain.....
Followed from Bad Water Bill
And what cut of meat would you need from your favorite butcher?

Do butchers taste good???

David2011
01-18-2013, 01:36 AM
It's not just how much knowledge there is here about casting, reloading, gunsmithing, hunting, shooting, living off the land, raising kids right, remembering when, cleaning and cooking what ya shot, cast iron cookware, machining, making what's hard to buy and sharing with your fellow man. You can find an answer to ANYTHING here. There's no limit to the knowledge and resources of the members here.

Every time I log in I learn something and I just try to leave a little more from time to time. To say that it's my favorite forum would make it sound like I know there are other forums. I did hear a rumor to that effect. :)

David

Mk42gunner
01-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Good subject, Jim.

I have been lurking or a member since before the Betty Crocker days at Shooters.com, and the amount of courtesy and general knowledge that is displayed here on a daily basis is simply astounding.

Some questions do get repetitive, if you don't feel like answering, skip it and another member will give a good answer shortly. I know that I read a heck of a lot more threads than I reply to, usually because they are answered better than I could.

I am a member on a few different forums, this is by far the most polite that I have seen. If you want to be ignored, or worse ridiculed, as a newbie, just go on most any automotive forum and ask just about any fairly basic question.

Robert