PDA

View Full Version : How's things at your local gun store?

marlin39a
01-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Stopped in my favorite here in the Prescott, AZ area yesterday. Looked like they were going out of business. Powders down to just a few that I've never had a use for. Only primers were some mag small rifles. No 10/22s, surplus guns, hi-cap pistols. They had a complete AR Lower for about $500.00. A new Bushmaster AR for $1500.00. Not much in ammo. Guns have been my life for 35 years, and I've never seen days like this. What's going on in your area?

Beau Cassidy
01-09-2013, 08:50 AM
I haven't been to any stores lately but was concerned smaller operations would go out of business because of inability to resupply. Another thing that concerns me is those who are able to get a limited resupply right now may do so at inflated prices. What are they going to do when prices normalize? I can't really blame a store for not ordering right now if they can help it. They might be on the hook for selling their inventory bought at inflated prices if and when prices drop. That would close the doors sooner than inability to resupply. The market is going to consolidate some.

WILCO
01-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Every gun store I've been to is busy. No black rifles to be seen, but supplies are to be had.

captaint
01-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Pretty much the same madness as last time. People, instead of buying one or two bricks of primers, are buying 10 or 20 bricks. Semi auto rifles, same thing. All gone. Stupid. Just like last time. I guess we're in for about 12 months of this - again. Mike

crappie-hunter
01-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Gander Mt. in Pa. used gun rack all but empty, Bare spots everywhere in the ammo shelves, no AR style guns except a couple of rimfires. I ask the employe behind the gun counter if they were going out of business ,he said it's been crazy. No primers except for a few 209's . Sign at the gun counter says WE BUY USED GUNS FOR CASH.

Bonz
01-09-2013, 09:13 AM
I am really concerned about my local gun range going out of business or being forced to scale down their staff. A big chunk of their revenue comes from sale of ammo and gun rentals. And of course, you can't rent guns if you don't have ammo.

Hope to be going there this Friday and I am going to offer to sell them all my factory ammo for the cost that I paid for it months ago before all this started. Hopefully that will give them a little more time.

Last time I was there, I offered to sell them reloads for my cost of materials. They said no thanks because of their insurance.

WILCO
01-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Pretty much the same madness as last time. People, instead of buying one or two bricks of primers, are buying 10 or 20 bricks. Semi auto rifles, same thing. All gone. Stupid. Just like last time. I guess we're in for about 12 months of this - again. Mike

How is it stupid? People will vote with their wallets everytime. Have you not watched what is going on? They are talking outright bans and confiscation. What do you think those folks are going to do with all those items? The hoarder you hate today, will most likely be your underground armorer or Patriot brother tomorrow.........

Jim
01-09-2013, 09:44 AM
My gunsmith friend that runs Old Lodge Armory (http://www.oldlodgearmory.com/)in Willis told me recently that he sold all his stock of ARs in a few days after the Connecticut issue. He builds custom rifles and is backed up with orders. He said he can't get or keep 22LR or 5.56 ammo.

Odds & Ends Gunshop, the little 'mom & pop' shop here in floyd, continues to trundle along. Harold and Miss Jeanette are retired and run this little shop more for a hobby than anything else. They keep a few milsurps on the rack and one or two new deer caliber bolt rifles, but nothin' expensive. The good ol' boys around here take a lot of their gun business to Harold because he doesn't make much profit on his gun sales and will order anything you want. He's not makin' a killin', but he's still in business. Like the high end shop, he can't get any ammo, either.

1Shirt
01-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Panic based on fear of the government! Never in my wildest dreams could I have ever envisioned that much fear of the government by the people. AND, I think a lot of the people with fear now, are awakening liberals. Maybe to late!
1Shirt!

SharpsShooter
01-09-2013, 10:04 AM
I haven't been personally, but my contacts across the area tell me that the shelves for primers and powders have dried up and the black rifles disappeared like smoke in the wind.

I just got an email this morning from a friend in Charleston who told me that the shelves were bare in every shop and that's a pretty good-sized city with several shops. The last I heard about Roanoke Virginia was the same story empty shelves and rifle racks.

They are definitely coming forward after them I think. I also think it will be different this time and not like 1994. I can't entirely explain why. It's just a gut feeling. In order to get what they want, they have to have all the pieces of the puzzle in alignment. I think they're pretty close to that. This administration has shown a complete and utter disdain for the Supreme Court decisions regarding the Second Amendment so I don't really think the decision of DC vs. Heller is going to influence their thinking at all.

SS

garym1a2
01-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Good time to sell your excessive, you can find what you want if you are willing to pay too much.

smokemjoe
01-09-2013, 10:08 AM
One shop here said he has over 100 orders and paper work to do. He did my trigger work before in 2 weeks, Cant get at it for all the paper work and the walk ends, Joe

oldred
01-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Fellows I fear this time it will not "get back to normal", ever, not normal as we have known it anyway. By the time the dust settles ammo and components will likely hit prices that make today's seem like a bargain and there will very likely be federally imposed limits on how much (and maybe even HOW!) we can buy and possibly how much we can physically possess. I hope I am wrong but when I hear some of the "powers that be" talk I surely have my doubts about how this is all going to end, when the people who are ultimately going to decide our fate use terms like "high capacity AMMUNITION" and "low caliber hunting rifles" we know they know absolutely nothing about firearms and don't care what we think. I knew in November we were in for the fight that we have all feared and the way it's shaping up it looks as if recent ammo shortages are going to be the least of our worries.

KCSO
01-09-2013, 10:31 AM
I tried today to order 11 different caalibers of ammo and the distributor is out of everything. My ammo shelves are empty and I havent got a hi cap semi auto ANYTHING.

ffg
01-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Local gun shop has been hopping . It is a good time to sell if you are so inclined .

starmac
01-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Primers are in short supply here, as is bulk 22 ammo and 223. There is powder. but not as good of a selection as usual. I think supplies are coming in, they are just not staying on the shelves too long, as one week we have plenty of federal primers for a day or two, then the next week there are plenty of winchester primers for a day or two.

quilbilly
01-09-2013, 02:37 PM
My customers who also sell arms, ammunition, and reload gear are running on empty but with this flu outbreak in this area (it is really something), I won't be going anywhere for a while to avoid the bug including my favorite gun shows.

Jon
01-09-2013, 02:52 PM
My local shop was completely cleaned out of ammo, rifles and magazines a couple weeks ago when I stopped in.

KCSO
01-09-2013, 03:06 PM
I have been trying to get through to Brownell's since 8:30 this morning and all I get is a busy signal.

1Shirt
01-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Just listened to Rush Limbaugh who said that Biden has stated that a Obozo is considering issue of executive order in relationship to the gun issue, which would over ride the 2nd ammendment AND Congress. If that should happen, it would be time to start impeachment processing.
1Shirt!

tward
01-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Went to the local gun shop 2weeks ago and could barely get in the door! Went yesterday and not too busy but the rack were half empty and no primers. An ar builder happened to be in and said he had lots of uppers and barrels but waiting on lowers. Tim

Harter66
01-09-2013, 03:41 PM
I haven't been to my shops in a couple of months. But small pistol primers have been hit miss out here for the best part of 5yrs. I actually bought the last 900 1 place at the carton price because that's all I'd found in the area.

I think a funny farm woman scorned would be an easier solution than the paper push, he'd just sign an executive order banning impeachment. The War Powers Act scares the hell outta me and I'd bet we're still running under that, whether its public or not,we are still at war.