PDA

View Full Version : Fluxing lead

donerightsigns
01-09-2013, 02:24 AM
OK it's me again As of my last posting, I had asked the question, Why not use a piece of metal floated on the top of melted lead to stop oxidation from forming on top of the lead. So here's what I did. Took a coffee can and cut the bottom out into a 3 7/8in. circle. Center drilled a hole and put a steel rod bolted to the center to use as a handle. Then cut a slot to slip around the pouring spout rod of the Lee melting pot. I did not flux with anything! I let the round disk float on top of the lead and their was absolutely no oxidation through the entire bullet making process. P.S. will someone tell me how to find out if anyone is reading this post or my previous post. I can't find my Previous post anywhere in here. Thanks All Hope this was of some interest to others.

Sergeant Earthworm
01-09-2013, 02:39 AM
My first thought: Why didn't I think of that?

Second thought: Don't you stir the pot from time to time to make sure the lead/tin/antimony are well mixed? I even stir pure Pb just to make sure the business stays consistent while casting. In addition, fluxing doesn't just assist with removing oxidation, it also causes other impurities to float to the surface.

Just above your post on the right there is a drop down that reads "Thread Tools," click the down arrow and select "Subscribe to this thread" and you will receive an email with a link to your post every time someone replies. I have yet to see a post that didn't get a reply.

nhrifle
01-09-2013, 02:53 AM
Here's your other post http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?177949-Fluxing-lead