PDA

View Full Version : 45/70 case length variations

SOFMatchstaff
01-09-2013, 01:16 AM
I just set up and started to load for the new Sharps, and found the cases were Not the same length. The Hornady cases are .070 shorter than the rest of my brass. I've noticed this same PITA with the 45Colt brass also, what the hecks wrong with them? Can they save enough money on .070 worth of metal to offset the irritation that it most likely cause the folks that are loading the brass??

The SHOT Show is next week, you can bet they are gonna here about it. Win, Rem, Starline, Fed, WCC67, no problem, right at spec, 2.095 Hornady 2.025.

Irritated!!

lavenatti
01-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Had the same thing happen with Hornady brass (.45-70)from an ebay buy about two years ago. I always thought the guy sold me some factory rejects. I couldn't even get my dies down far enough to crimp the brass.

Keyston44
01-09-2013, 09:17 AM
That's probably LeveRevolution brass. It's shorter for the longer gummie tipped bullet.

Key

oldred
01-09-2013, 10:31 PM
No doubt it's the LeverRevolution brass so there is nothing wrong with it because it is intentionally made short for the pointy bullet it uses. If they had of tried to use that same pointy tip bullet in a standard length case the COL would not cycle in Marlin Lever guns (and quite possibly some others as well).

Tazman1602
01-09-2013, 11:02 PM
That's probably LeveRevolution brass. It's shorter for the longer gummie tipped bullet.

Key

BINGO! I was going to mention that but you already did. A few years back I got some LeveRevolution brass mixed in with my good brass and it took THIS FORUM to help me figure it out. I finally pulled a bullet from a LeveRevolution round and found the brass much shorter than my regular 45/70 brass..............

Matter of fact to take it a step further, I bought a couple of boxes of Hornady FTX 140 grain bullets (flex tip for stacked magazine rifles, 357 in this case) and then found Hornady wanted me to trim the dadgone brass back for the bullet to fit in the chamber.

Still got those two boxes if anyone's interested.....................................NOT !

Art

GH1
01-10-2013, 09:37 PM
I bought 50 primed cases at a gun show for the incredible price of $20.00. Little did I know they were LE cases. Not a big deal though, they can be loaded just like the standard cases, just be sure to start low and work your way up.. The only problem you might have is with your seat /crimp die. RCBS dies won't work, but Hornady sells one for about $20.00 or so. Or you can do what I did and buy a complete set from Hornady. Some folks have taken their Lee or RCBS dies and shortened them, but I didn't feel comfortable doing that since the RCBS dies I was using didn't belong to me.
GH18-)

nanuk
01-14-2013, 06:01 PM
No doubt it's the LeverRevolution brass so there is nothing wrong with it because it is intentionally made short for the pointy bullet it uses. If they had of tried to use that same pointy tip bullet in a standard length case the COL would not cycle in Marlin Lever guns (and quite possibly some others as well).

and the LE has problems cycling through Marlins as factory!

there is a Local GS who has had numerous returns of LE ammo, and has written numerous letters to Hornady.

Hornady is well aware of the problem, and has done NOTHING to address it!

I had one lock up so tight with a canted cartridge we had to use a steel rod to pry it loose!

LE are ONLY used in Single Shots now!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-14-2013, 08:50 PM
I have Hornady dies and they adjust just fine to size and load the gummy nose - "burger on the hoof" FTX bullets.

I don't use and won't even consider going there because of the bullets, but Hornady did the reloading public a read dis-service by not think this through to the point where they did not make these stupid short cases.

But, have loaded some of the brass for a friend.

It is a factor in at least the .444 and 45/70 FTX loads.

Hornady is too good of a company to do something this dumb, but they are selling a huge amount of ammo, as it is about the cheapest thing on the shelf from what a local gun shop fellow told me.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

oldred
01-14-2013, 09:02 PM
and the LE has problems cycling through Marlins as factory!

there is a Local GS who has had numerous returns of LE ammo, and has written numerous letters to Hornady.

Hornady is well aware of the problem, and has done NOTHING to address it!

I had one lock up so tight with a canted cartridge we had to use a steel rod to pry it loose!

LE are ONLY used in Single Shots now!

I know another fellow who also don't have much good to say about them after buying two boxes of the things for his Marlin 1895, personally I have not tried them but then I don't shoot factory ammo anyway -especially something like 45/70 at $2 + per round!

klausg
02-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Another PITA with 45/70, any Buffalo Bore brass will have a small rifle primer...got the T-shirt

TXGunNut
02-24-2013, 12:35 AM
I drank the LR Kool-Aide but my Guide Gun didn't. I bought the gummy-tips, modified my case trimmer and tried to make them work. They didn't. FWIW I have gotten great reports on the factory ammo but I don't shoot CF factory ammo and don't put much stock in folks that do.

rush1886
02-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Ran into this problem a year or so ago. Hadn't even paid any attention to all the FTX hype. Picked up a baggie of Hornady 444 Marlin brass at a local gunshow, for what was seemingly an amazing price. When I got them home, and tried to form them for my 375JDJ, the "shortage" became apparent pretty quickly. A call to Hornady confirmed the issue. As much of a disservice to the shooting fraternity, Hornady has given themselves one in the backside, as I fo one, will not purchase Hornady products again.

6.5 mike
02-25-2013, 08:29 PM
I use them for dummy rounds, save the good stuff.

TXGunNut
02-25-2013, 09:39 PM
I feel they are not SAAMI spec and should have a different headstamp but that's just me. How hard would it be to add a couple of letters? Still a Hornady fan, probably always will be.

DrCaveman
02-27-2013, 12:36 AM
In my 45-70 brass collection, they get a separate tub. One that's never used so far.

I do think they would work OK for my 500 gr spitzer loads that I like to seat waaay out. I tried crimping into the bottom of the forward most lube groove and they wouldn't chamber-in my handi rifle-using starling brass. Prob would with the hornady LR brass. I understand that won't necessarily increase my case capacity but it is nice to have a proper shoulder upon which ti crimp.

I'm just calling it my 'special purpose' brass now. Different loading runs, different crimp settings. No reason I can see why it shouldn't work, not like we are pumping these through progressive loaders.

grampa243
02-28-2013, 06:36 PM
I'm just calling it my 'special purpose' brass now. Different loading runs, different crimp settings. No reason I can see why it shouldn't work, not like we are pumping these through progressive loaders.

i do sort the short ones out to be reloaded with hornady FTX bullets.

i do run a dillon progressive loader but it works fine.

NSB
02-28-2013, 08:19 PM
I have Hornady dies and they adjust just fine to size and load the gummy nose - "burger on the hoof" FTX bullets.

I don't use and won't even consider going there because of the bullets, but Hornady did the reloading public a read dis-service by not think this through to the point where they did not make these stupid short cases.

But, have loaded some of the brass for a friend.

It is a factor in at least the .444 and 45/70 FTX loads.

Hornady is too good of a company to do something this dumb, but they are selling a huge amount of ammo, as it is about the cheapest thing on the shelf from what a local gun shop fellow told me.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Hornady lost all my respect when they got into "zombie killer" garbage. Really helps the shooting image to the general public. Very mature.

John Boy
02-28-2013, 11:02 PM
Another PITA with 45/70, any Buffalo Bore brass will have a small rifle primer...got the T-shirt For BPCR shooters, 45-70 brass with SR pockets is good news. It reduces the brisance of the powder charge ignition

'74 sharps
03-01-2013, 03:08 PM
With the availability and price of Starline brass, not much of a reason to invite case length issues by using other brands.