PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Shortages

nighthunter
01-08-2013, 10:57 PM
My oh my...... Can you folks believe that shooters are haveing problems finding bullets for reloading? Not only has The Dark One caused panic buying of firearms but he has done the same with component sales and ammunition sales. Makes me real happy that my father introduced me to casting over 40 years ago.

Nighthunter

runfiverun
01-08-2013, 11:25 PM
again?
i just handed littlegirl a dozen ar magazines and a usps box full of 223 rounds a couple of hours ago and told her to go function test them all.
she said they all worked fine, but one threw the brass forward into the snow bank.
that one had a tag on it so i'm sure she wasn't amused.
i see no shortages.

rsrocket1
01-08-2013, 11:39 PM
I stopped by the local Sportsman's Warehouse and the shelves are bare. No primers at all save for a couple of boxes of Fiocchi shotshell primers, half the powder gone, all the 9mm plated and a lot of the 9mm lead bullets gone. Most 45ACP projos gone. Lots of expensive 100 round boxes of projectiles. Loaded ammo is pretty much stripped clean.

But of course this is Kalifornistan where the super majority of Democrats in the politburo can pass anything without checks and balances.

SciFiJim
01-09-2013, 02:14 AM
Makes me all warm and fuzzy that I stocked up last summer!

nhrifle
01-09-2013, 02:19 AM
Do you suppose it really rattles Obummer that he has become the greatest firearm and shooting component salesman in history? Twice??!?

HighHook
01-09-2013, 02:28 AM
Warm and fuzzy will work. No shortage here. I just saw a bunch of service guys blowing off a couple thou 22 three,9 and 40. Obviously no shortage there.
I wish i could teach my cocker spaniel to pick up brass...:???:

runfiverun
01-09-2013, 02:41 AM
well,,,,, no.
i'm sure he is taking credit for stimulating the economy.

on1wheel01
01-09-2013, 04:27 AM
Makes me very glad I have around 2 thousand rounds. And enough materials to build another 3000. Thank goodness I got into reloading

uscra112
01-09-2013, 05:03 AM
Even the swaging tools for .224 bullets have been bought up at famine prices.

runfiverun
01-09-2013, 02:11 PM
wait untill they find out that swaging involves work/measuring and thinking.
and then they have to use some of those hundred dollar primers to figure out a load.

root
01-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Like many on this forum I have a ammo factory set up.

and a lead foundry.
No shortages here.

About the only thing I see is instead of pop'n the top on a ammo can and going until it's empty. I'll just shoot 1/2 or less until things calm back down.

cloakndagger
01-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Local big box stores are fairly bare here, if i had a use for titewad powder id be set....... but I found a new local private shop that is fully stocked, with the exception of the one powder I want...TRAIL BOSS....MY KINGDOM FOR SOME TRAIL BOSS (or at least thats what itll cost to ship it hazmat)...

Ironduke
01-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Do you suppose it really rattles Obummer that he has become the greatest firearm and shooting component salesman in history? Twice??!?

I think it amuses him. It amuses him because he will act with or without congress. If he cannot get an AW ban going that makes the clinton ban look like the good old days, he will do it by executive order. So many sheeple will hand over their stores of ammo and guns because the gov't says to. I am certain he sees this as a boost to the economy now so his biggest opposition (self sufficient conservatives) is helping his presidency. But he also knows that many of these people currently buying will surrender what they just bought soon enough. To him this is a tax on gun buyers; we are self taxing as a penalty for being on the wrong side of the issue because we spend our money on guns (giving up money) that he wants to confiscate. We are merely paying a tax beforehand. It would drive him crazy for us to be buying extra guns but getting to keep them. Since his plan is to strip us of the God-given right to defend ourselves and families, he isn't worried about the current market explosion.

HATCH
01-09-2013, 03:23 PM
bullet shortages??
let me check

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sTJ1mtmqQg

Nope. 2 boolits every 10.5 seconds. No shortages here.....

In fact I am gonna fire up the machine tonight and cast some 40 cal boolits up before I send the mold off to get hollowpointed.

rsrocket1
01-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Local big box stores are fairly bare here, if i had a use for titewad powder id be set....... but I found a new local private shop that is fully stocked, with the exception of the one powder I want...TRAIL BOSS....MY KINGDOM FOR SOME TRAIL BOSS

If you are adventurous, Titewad is burnrate wise an ideal substitute for Trail Boss. It has almost the same load characteristics as Clays (grain for grain, not by volume). It works great for generating good pressure quickly while keeping the bullet at a low velocity. I've worked up great loads in 38/40/45 using 2.5-3.0g Titewad instead of Clays. Never try to push a bullet anywhere near its normal velocity with Titewad. I normally use Titewad and Clays for light 3/4 oz 12 ga skeet loads when I need to get pressures up there to get a good complete burn of the powder.

The bad thing is that Titewad is even denser than Clays and looks microscopic at the bottom of a 38 special case so you must be very careful about loading for it. You could probably quadruple charge a 38 case with Titewad and not overflow it.

Shiloh
01-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Makes me real happy that my father introduced me to casting over 40 years ago.

Nighthunter

....And the acquisition of needed supplies while they were available and at a reasonable price.

Be Prepared.

The motto of the Boy Scouts.

Shiloh

smithgar3840
01-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Somewhat of a shortage here. I'm running low on wheel weights but heavy on pure .But then I also have a couple k cast already.

AZ-JIM
01-09-2013, 09:27 PM
This is the Bass Pro in my neck of the woods on Sunday;
I' m glad I dont have a 300 Wetherby Mag......geeez
And the other is where the .22' s used to be, except for a hand full of 22 mags

az-jim

451whitworth
01-09-2013, 09:32 PM
powder and primers are pretty much out of stock at Graf's, Midsouth, Widener's, Powder Valley, etc.

Beau Cassidy
01-09-2013, 09:37 PM
I was ready years ago. I will never have a shortage although I could probably use another 30K SR and SP primers. I can load m .300 Weatherby for just a tiny bit more than my .30/06 since I bought 3K of my favorite Sierras years ago.

MtGun44
01-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Boy Scouts are right. Been in this rodeo before, got the T-shirt and bruises. NEVER let
your supplies run low.

"Be Prepared"

Bill

pipehand
01-09-2013, 09:53 PM
I just ordered 500 6.5mm 123grain blems from Midway and for a pretty decent deal. The 223 stuff is a little scarce right now, but I'm set for what I need for quite some time. I worry more about running out of wheelweights than I do about powder and primers.

dragon813gt
01-09-2013, 10:40 PM
I stopped in the LGS today. They don't ever sell bullets so there was a huge shortage there :)

Plenty of primers at the normal $50 per K. I can't call it profiting from the hype because thats the everyday price.

The powder shelf was full and I picked up four pounds of Unique that I don't need. Was $20 more than PV but cheaper than the local Cabela's. Was looking for Trail Boss and LilGun but they had neither.

And they had a full selection of ammo at their everyday low prices that are just like the primers. Only reason this place stays in business is their indoor range. I don't mind buying small amounts of powder there since it's still cheaper than shipping them in.

I'm set on bullets for a long time. I ordered the jacketed rounds I shoot in bulk last summer. And my lead stash is growing by the day.

cloakndagger
01-09-2013, 10:41 PM
Rsrocket1, yea the who quantity and ease of use thing is what I like about trail boss, there is no doubt youre charged..or double charged. Plus the light loads are realy nice to fiddle with.. having a sprinkling of powder as a charge kinda scares me a bit..

Jal5
01-09-2013, 11:14 PM
The only thing I am low on is bullets for reloading .223 I got into that game late, only bought the rifle after election day. For all other calibers I am pretty set and have lead to last a while for what I shoot. Joe

mpmarty
01-09-2013, 11:46 PM
I just got lucky years ago. I learned that I was going to have to retire in 2004 and before I quit working I bought up all the surplus 7.62 NATO I could find from India, So. Africa, Portugal and Spain. I've got ammo cans full of the stuff that I stripped out of bandoliers and five round charger clips. That is my SHTF store and all I shoot now is cast in 7.62, 45/70, 45acp and 10mm as well as my 7.5 X 55 Swiss loaded on 284 Winchester brass. Before Obama #1 fiasco I bought 50,000 primers in various sizes which will last me a while.

mongo
01-10-2013, 12:26 AM
I hope this shortage doesnt last too long, I'm down to 5-1/2 boxes of spp and only2k lpp. Going to have to keep count of how many rounds I use at the range, Who the hell voted for this guy anyways?

L1A1Rocker
01-10-2013, 12:58 AM
Folks, try to reach out and find reloaders local or near local. Go in with them (one or two others) to split shipping and hazmat fees to mail order stuff (when they get it back in stock of course). I actually met up with a guy here on Castboolits that is just a couple of miles from me! We split an order from P.V. last month just before the frenzy started. I'm also new to casting having just started about two years ago but, I've managed to put away a little over 1/2 ton of lead. Hopefully this is all going to be temporary just like in 08, and next year we'll be talking about the great deals we're finding.

762 shooter
01-11-2013, 07:34 AM
A word of warning: Loose lips sink ships.

Jon
01-11-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm just getting into rifle reloading, so it might be awhile for me. I have primers, but no powder or gas checks.

azrednek
01-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Election night I ordered primers and powder. Got everything I ordered except a one pound can of Bullseye. I ordered two and got one back ordered. The day after I ordered a couple of mags and got them for a normal price. Small pistol primers seem to be in short supply. I've seen a couple of local ads offering 2 for 1 swaps for SP's. I have a couple thousand slugs awaiting sizing and lubing before I can say "boolits". I'm in good shape until the supply normalizes. I just need to make time, get off my lazy donkey and start sizing.

Shiloh
01-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Makes me all warm and fuzzy that I stocked up last summer!

Be Prepared !!

Shiloh

Jal5
01-12-2013, 11:36 AM
I found some jacketed .223 bullets online yesterday at Midway so I am ok with those for awhile.
I may still get a mold though and work up my own :)

HighHook
01-12-2013, 01:58 PM
I may still get a mold though and work up my own :)

You know your in the right place when we say that is "music to our ears"

MtGun44
01-12-2013, 10:53 PM
I know at least one major handgun supplier's main warehouse is EMPTY. NO handguns.

Of course, they will be making more, but their 'cushion' in the warehouse is gone.

Bill