PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to mix with SOWW?

Muddydogs
01-08-2013, 04:54 PM
I have been surfing around the web but just can't seem to come up with a good answer as to what I need to mix with stick on wheel weights to get them close to COWW hardness.

My pile of SOWW ingots has grown enough and I would like to be able to use future SOWW acquisitions to cast pistol bullets. I have not messed with hardness much as I am having good results with the COWW which I have been acquiring for free at the present time.

Thanks guys.

white eagle
01-08-2013, 05:21 PM
if you have access to a supply of tin you could make any of the lead/tin alloy's

John Boy
01-08-2013, 06:32 PM
what I need to mix with stick on wheel weights to get them close to COWW hardness. Add clip on WW's!

brotherdarrell
01-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Add equal parts COWW to your SOWW. When casting boolits drop from mold directly into water. Wait about a week and size/load/shoot. I would bet you would not be able to tell the difference, unless they were more accurate. Water dropped 50/50 will be almost as hard as air cooled COWW.

my 2 cents

brotherdarrell

RobsTV
01-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Many of todays SOWW are close to the same hardness as COWW.

I now get about half of each lot acquired from tirestores that are all the stick on wheel weights that match the image in the first set of photos from following link, 3rd from the right in stick on lead picture section. These SOWW measure 11.5 BHN and should be treated as if they are COWW. When separating, I toss all these right into my COWW pile.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?139839-Guide-to-Hand-Sorting-Wheel-Weights

cbrick
01-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Muddydogs,

Here is an article on using the stick-on weights and making anything from clip-on weights to Lyman #2.

Blending Cast Bullet Antimony Alloys - Alloying with Roto Metals Super Hard (http://www.lasc.us/SuperHard.htm)

I haven't yet come across any stick-ons as hard as clip-ons but perhaps it's just that I'm pretty anal about my sorting.

Rick

Lizard333
01-08-2013, 10:41 PM
You could easily use the SOWW for most pistol calibers. Water drop if you need them harder. Most of my SOWW us coming in at 8.5 tested with my cabin tree tester. I was told it was supposed to be close to dead soft, but this stuff isn't even close.

I use it straight on the majority of my pistol rounds from 38 to 44 mag.