PDA

View Full Version : 12 ga 00 buckshot and lyman 1 oz slugs

kd5exp
01-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Does anybody have a kick butt load for either a 1 oz slug or 00 Buckshot that will put a hurting on you. I don't have a wide selection of powders but will get some if needed. I have a sister of my son-in-law that comes here ever so often that is just a nut when it comes to guns. She wants one:mrgreen: that will set her on her butt. So far I haven't been able to do that. She is just a skinny little thing but has ovaries of steel I quess. She is from England and they don't get to play with guns there much. I have loaded some but they don't seem to have much kick to them. Been loading with 700X, 17 gr and they shoot good but not the shoulder wrenching I am looking for. I have some 2400 I used in 20 ga years ago for Dove hunting but no load data for anything like that. I have several powders but mostly rifle powder. I just want her to know she has shot something next time. A little bruseing maybe. She will be here again in March I think.

turmech
01-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Blue dot sure kills on both ends with the lee slug.

Uncle Jimbo
01-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Try this, you will know you shot it. And so will the recipient.
12 #00
Win. 209 primer
Herco 35 grs.
Wad column "H" card + 1/4 fiber wad.
Wad pressure 100
Velocity 1320
Crimp Roll

Works good. Used it for years before lead was outlawed for waterfowl.

Source: Pacific's Shotshell Handloading Manual. 3rd Edition.

35remington
01-08-2013, 08:27 PM
49 grains Blue Dot
WAA12 white wad
Lee 1 ounce slug
WW 209 primer
AA or Remington tapered case (AA's fit a little less snugly)
Velocity 1700

Clip the wad petals to just below the ogive of the slug (halve their length but leave them attached to facilitate crimping).

Shoot this in short barreled six shot pump and I guarantee she'll be impressed. A whole magazine full at dusk leave a bit of muzzleflash as well as bruising. In a six pound aluminum receiver, 18.5 inch pump this should generate 50 to 55 ft/lbs. of recoil or more.

If your pump has no recoil pad, so much the better. She will learn the meaning of the word "uncle" very quickly with such a combo.

arjppj
01-08-2013, 08:36 PM
^ I hope that is for slugs. None of the loads in Lyman's 5th are over 30gr of Herco in buckshot, so that may cause some trouble.

For slugs I use Win AA hull, Win primer, WAA12 wad, 1/4 fiber wad, 35gr herco...or 35gr HS6 with same internals in a Rem hull. Both are from the Lee slug manual included with mold. Either load pack a punch.
For buckshot I use Win AA hull, Win primer, Claybuster red wad, 30gr of SR 4756, or 31gr of HS-6, or 24gr Herco and 9 pellets of 00 (all listed in Lyman's 5th). This round is not "too" punishing and has given me AWESOME patterns with a mod choke in an 18.5" barreled Mossberg 590.

Ole
01-09-2013, 01:13 AM
I loaded up a 3" mag Remington shell with (a payload appropriate amount of) blue dot, seated a WW Red wad, then 7/8oz of lead BB's, then a card then 6 00 buckshot pellets.

I only made 3 of them but they weren't fun to shoot at all.

Figure that as a 1 7/8oz payload and it got your attention for sure.

kd5exp
01-09-2013, 08:34 AM
This all sounds impressive, Herco and Blue Dot are on my shopping list. I have all these components except the 1/4 cards, trying to come up with something to make them, got a couple ideas. Thanks Gene

Uncle Jimbo
01-09-2013, 11:50 AM
This all sounds impressive, Herco and Blue Dot are on my shopping list. I have all these components except the 1/4 cards, trying to come up with something to make them, got a couple ideas. Thanks Gene

You can find them here: http://www.circlefly.com/html/products.html

They are cheap between $5.00 and $8.50 per 500.
You can find them here also:http://www.wadsincorporated.com/
A little more expensive. I have never used them, so I don't know how their service is.

pipehand
01-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Find the post by James Gates that gives the recipe for the Dixie Tri-Ball load. Loaded up 60 more this evening. 3- 60 caliber roundballs @+/- 1050 fps for a total payload of approximately 2 1/4 ounce. She'll know she shot something.

longbow
01-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Another vote for Blue Dot here!

I loaded up some 0.735" RB's over 38 grs. of Blue Dot and they left an impression on me! I based the load off Precision Rifles Piledriver loads for 610 gr. slug over up to 44 grs. of Blue Dot. I peaked out at 38 grs and recoil there in a light single shot was enough for me. I shot about 30 off the bench and was punchy for a while after!

Same load under a 1 oz. or 1 1/8 oz. slug produces pretty good recoil as well.

You can punch out your own card wads but they are so cheap it isn't worth it in my opinion. Also, the nitro card wads are very tough.

Something else that makes a good tough under slug wad is the polyethylene kids "Magic Carpets" for sliding on snow. We don't have an local supply of plastic sheet so I have used those. They are not very thick but they are tough!

Longbow

kd5exp
01-19-2013, 10:31 PM
I went to Duncan today and got lucky. They had one can of Blue Dot left, no primers and very little else. Noticed there was no .224 bullets of any kind left and very few hand guns left. Most likely be months before they will be able to get any.

kd5exp
01-19-2013, 10:34 PM
I don't want to kill her pipe hand just bruise her a little. LOL

JIMinPHX
01-20-2013, 01:54 AM
The data that comes with the Lee slug mold is pretty snappy. You can find it in post #34 on this thread - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?86712-moderate-load-data-for-Lee-slugs/page2

kd5exp
01-20-2013, 09:46 PM
I don't think I can get to 49 gr 35remington. I stopped at 42 and my shoulder thanked me. Still tender. Can I start the same 35 gr starting load for the 00 Buckshot. I would like to get a rifled barrel for this mossberg 88.

35remington
01-20-2013, 10:37 PM
You did want to impress her didn't you? 49 grains will leave no doubt. Load a few in case she's tougher than you. Which 35 grain load are you referring to?

kd5exp
01-20-2013, 11:16 PM
For the 00 Buckshot and Blue Dot. would it be the same as the 1 oz slug. I don't know off hand what 9 of the 00 would weigh. I quess I could weigh them and see. I have some loaded with 700X (30 gr I think)and they are pretty stout. I have it written down but in the other room at the other end of the house. Dang I'm lazy. I have been using my light 19.9 gr 700X load with them and they are weak. I shot 6 rounds of each, 35,36,37,38,39,40,41 and 42. thats maybe why I'm sore. going to have to go easy on the Blue Dot, that was the last of it around here.

kd5exp
01-23-2013, 04:46 PM
I got the micro cards in yesterday and loaded several this morning. They looked real good and shot good as well. The Blue Dot was pretty stout and I will have to let my shoulder recoup some before shooting again. I have a few FIOCCHI and they are all going in the trash. They would not eject, the ejecter pulled through the brass. They were not stuck because I poked them out with cleaning rod with a very lite poke. No problems with the Win AA or Remington. No signs of pressure on ant of them.

35remington
01-23-2013, 10:11 PM
9 00 buck weight 1 1/8 ounces. Don't use the buck load with the slug amount of Blue Dot as the buckshot is a bit heavier and the buck take up more room in the case which also leaves less room for powder.

kd5exp
01-26-2013, 11:35 PM
I didn't, I started about 35 gr and worked up to 44 gr and started to see bulging so I backed down to 42 gr and loaded there. The buckshot loads are awesome, tear some stuff up now. I had a full brick of Winchester LR primers, which I don't have the rifles anymore, and traded Little Bit for what he had left of SP primers. Also he let me take his Contender 357 mag 10" fluted barrell and I get to play with it some. :) Already got some loaded with 2400 to try out tomorrow.