PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide. Should I trade my AR?

Highway41
01-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Okay, I need a little help and advice, maybe things I haven't thought about.

So just after my divorce I finally got around to putting together my AR-15. Started with the Stag lower put in a DPMS parts kit and got a complete Stag upper to put on it. Put a few rounds through it and proceeded directly to the LGS and got a RRA trigger group for it. Put a few more rounds through it, put it back in its case and there it has stayed.
Thing is I have really not much interest in shooting it now. I have my 308 boltie for rifle distance hunting and where I hunt is great for handgun hunting which is what I want to focus on.
The AR was fun to build but I am not interested in caliber conversions or tacticooling (think I just invented a new word) it out.
With all the potential headaches that may be coming for the AR, I'm just really torn as to if I would be better off keeping it or just go ahead and trade it off to someone who can get more use/pleasure out of it
Not trying to get offers here just opinions. My trade thoughts go towards a nice 1911 in 45 or preferably almost any 10mm semiauto.
Is there a reason I should hang on to it other than they may potentially be hard to acquire in the future?

ShooterAZ
01-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Well, I was wondering along the same lines. The AR's are gonna have some major headaches coming soon. I'm waiting to see what happens first. I'm not interested in registering anything. My advise is to wait & see, but if there is something out there that you really want in trade...go for it.

montana_charlie
01-08-2013, 01:35 PM
So just after my divorce I finally got around to putting together my AR-15.
Put a few more rounds through it, put it back in its case and there it has stayed.
Thing is I have really not much interest in shooting it now.
Is there a reason I should hang on to it other than they may potentially be hard to acquire in the future?
You are stuck because you aren't clear on why you bought an AR to begin with.
If you bought it just to be able to say that you did, there is no longer any reason to keep it.

If you bought it to serve a particular purpose, you need to decide if that purpose still exists.
If it doesn't, then sell the gun.

I bought an AR as a SHTF gun, pure and simple.
I felt that, in the event that I needed to 'resist' two or more 'adversaries', I needed something more capable than two singleshot rifles and a 30-30 levergun.
I built the AR, tested it, touched up the trigger, adjusted the sights, bought a supply of ammo, and put it away ... until the day it is needed for the purpose it is meant for.

So, ask yourself:
Did you ever need it?
Do you not need it, anymore?
... or ...
Do you not need it, yet?

CM

starmac
01-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Something to think about, that I'm sure your thinking is right now is the time to trade it if your not going to keep it.
I have never felt the need or want for one, but if I had one I'm pretty sure what I would do with it right now while people are paying idiotic prices for them.

MBTcustom
01-08-2013, 01:52 PM
I'm not a fan of the AR-15 at all (probably a lack of education), but my thought is that it aint costing you a dime sitting in your safe. If it were me, I would just tuck it back quietly and let it sit. Don't sell it, and don't mention its existence unless somebody asks. We don't know what is going to happen in the coming months. All I know is that a man that has a gun has more options than a man that has none, no matter what the situation is. Don't let the fear that is being propagated by both sides cause you to make a decision. My advice is, be calm, sit tight, hold what you got, be prepared, and do what you can to stand up for your rights without painting the proverbial target on your back.
Nobody knows how this will shake out, but selling things, or making decisions based on prophesies that are rooted in fear is a surefire way to make a mistake.
Just my 2 cents.

Love Life
01-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Montana Charlie said it best. If it has outlived it's welcome then it os time to move it out the door for something you do want and will utilize more. Now is the time to move it out as well.

chrisw
01-08-2013, 02:16 PM
I've never regretted buying a gun but I sure do regret selling a few

John Allen
01-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Chris, ain't that the truth. If I could kick myself in the *** I would have a pile of times.

Springfield
01-08-2013, 02:27 PM
chrisw: Boy, you got that right. Even the ones I didn't like that much I regretted selling.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-08-2013, 02:38 PM
You have been given some very sound advice on both choices. Now you have to decide. Myself, I'd get a few revolvers, but that isn't what you were asking about.

P.K.
01-08-2013, 02:56 PM
You are stuck because you aren't clear on why you bought an AR to begin with.
If you bought it just to be able to say that you did, there is no longer any reason to keep it.

If you bought it to serve a particular purpose, you need to decide if that purpose still exists.
If it doesn't, then sell the gun.

I bought an AR as a SHTF gun, pure and simple.
I felt that, in the event that I needed to 'resist' two or more 'adversaries', I needed something more capable than two singleshot rifles and a 30-30 levergun.
I built the AR, tested it, touched up the trigger, adjusted the sights, bought a supply of ammo, and put it away ... until the day it is needed for the purpose it is meant for.

So, ask yourself:
Did you ever need it?
Do you not need it, anymore?
... or ...
Do you not need it, yet?

CM

What he said...^^^^^^

Granted I lug mine to the range and enjoy poking holes in paper plates. I know what it's for, quick firing, fast reloading and ammo EVERYWHERE regardless of what's on the shelf at the LGS.

Highway41
01-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Thing is I am not a big SHTF'er. Should it come to that let's just say access to the necessary 'tools' is not a problem.

Back in the day when I was a LEO I was the go to guy for swapping and selling. That said there are only three weapons I regret getting rid of. A redhawk 41 5 1/2", a S&W 3" 357 round butt and my S&W 1006. After all these years those are the ones I really miss. Each had it own particular niche that it fit perfectly.

The AR, well it feels more like a date with someone you meet online. Looks like just what you want/need... But when you finally meet you just don't fit together quite right.

That said I will continue to contemplate.

P.K.
01-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Spoken like a man with a Mini-30 in his future....;-)

Dorf
01-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Spoken like a man with a Mini-30 in his future....;-)

Spoken by a guy with a 6.8! :-)

km101
01-08-2013, 06:34 PM
I have never sold a gun that, some time in the next 6 months, I didnt wish I had it back! They are easy to sell now, but the may be hard to buy in the near future. "Decide in haste, regret at leisure."

rockrat
01-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Look at it this way. You could probably trade the AR for three Ruger 45acp pistols

x101airborne
01-08-2013, 07:18 PM
Yeah, if it aint eating nuthin, let it sit. You never know what is going to happen.
That said, I do have a Taurus PT1911 NIB..... Just saying.

tanstafl10
01-08-2013, 07:25 PM
I do a lot of woodworking..... "measure twice, cut once"...
Know what I mean?
-
Good luck.... here's hoping for no regrets!

Highway41
01-08-2013, 07:39 PM
I do a lot of woodworking..... "measure twice, cut once"...
Know what I mean?
-
Good luck.... here's hoping for no regrets!

As the son of a carpenter and sometime woodworker myself I fully understand. The conversation is helping.

snuffy
01-08-2013, 07:43 PM
I have a bushy AR-15 that I bought used about 8 years ago. I have since "accessorized" it some, well, a lot!

It goes with me to the range every time. It's just a grin to shoot.

Now that it's worth easily 3 times what I paid for it, no way will I sell it. I don't understand the thinking of not wanting to register the rifle. It's already registered, remember the yellow form we filled out?

I seriously doubt there will ever be a mandatory registration of currently held guns. Too much invasion of privacy for that to ever pass.

ShooterAZ
01-08-2013, 07:51 PM
I have a bushy AR-15 that I bought used about 8 years ago. I have since "accessorized" it some, well, a lot!

It goes with me to the range every time. It's just a grin to shoot.

Now that it's worth easily 3 times what I paid for it, no way will I sell it. I don't understand the thinking of not wanting to register the rifle. It's already registered, remember the yellow form we filled out?

I seriously doubt there will ever be a mandatory registration of currently held guns. Too much invasion of privacy for that to ever pass.

The "yellow form" is not the same registration we are speaking of. That is simply the background check. My understanding is that it "may" cost $200 per firearm to register them as "assault weapons". I hope and pray to God this never happens. We can only watch and wait (along with pray) at this point.

Dale in Louisiana
01-08-2013, 07:55 PM
I've never regretted buying a gun but I sure do regret selling a few

I built a couple last year. Son said something today about selling one. I could easily double my money, but as the saying goes, "Guns get you through the times of no money better'n money will get you through times of no guns."

And I can think of half a dozen guns that I've sold over that last few years that I wish I hadn't.

And ammo. I only DREAM that my 401k had appreciated like the 5.56 ammo I bought this past summer and fall, and I won't even tlak about the 7.62x51 and .30-06 that I've accumulated. I paid $0.34 a round for 5.56. Right now that's a dollar a round IF you can find it.

dale in Louisiana

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-08-2013, 07:57 PM
I'd give it some time to see what shakes out in the near future.
IF you find yourself just ignoring it 6 months from now, I'd unload it for
something you'll appreciate and use more. If you don't touch it in 6 months,
do you feel confident enough in your abilities to really use it if forced to?
You said you are ex LEO, you likely have the abilities- but familiarity is worth something too.
If I have to protect myself, I wanna grab what I KNOW is gonna work and do what I ask it to

Dale in Louisiana
01-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Brother brought a 'Street Sweeper' when it wasn't anything but a cheap novelty shotgun. The BATF decided that they were an NFA weapon and he had to paper it. Cost him nothing to 'grandfather' it back then. I don't know if we'll get off that easy this time.

And those were relatively rare. Con you imagine the bureaucracy trying to deal with the paperwork on a few MILLION semi-auto rifles?

dale in Louisiana

HATCH
01-08-2013, 08:25 PM
I have thought about these a lot lately.
In the current craze I am guessing the price of the evil guns is almost at their peak.
I don't think they will go much higher unless they really start pushing thru a new law but I don't see that happening.

Now if your a betting man then you could bet that they will ban them and your weapon will increase in value provided they don't put in the non-transferable clause in the ban that she wants to put in there.

I would take some good pictures and put it up on gunbroker.com
My friend Scott runs DPHARMS.COM.
I got a AR lower from him 2 weeks ago for $107.00 shipped. Basically the last one he sold online.
He said that they are now going for $300 at the gun shows and this is for a stripped lower.
I suspect you can get $1500 for yours if not more depending on what mags you got on hand.
30 round mags regardless of condition is $20 each. I saw some GI surplus mags that used to be 3 mags for $10 sell for $20 each and they had no finish on the at all!!!

Sell it. Don't trade it unless its for another "banned" weapon. Sell it outright. You will get the most bang for your buck that way.

Blammer
01-08-2013, 08:31 PM
NOW and I mean RIGHT NOW, is the time to sell it. You'll cash in easy, an be able to buy what you want. $1500 is the going rate for them now.

Highway41
01-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Another thing I think about is what if a ban goes into immediate effect prohibiting transfer or sale. Boom, value skyrockets but you can't move the item. Plus I wasn't able to secure a personal stash of mags and ammo. I've got 1 30 rounder and 1 20. With nothing to feed it (and I will not pay the current scalpers prices) I can use it for a club. Yeah I've got the skills just not the supplies. Turns it into a nice conversation piece or a really sophisticated baseball bat.

On the other hand say the NRA and us are able to stand strong and keep registration and or prohibition away. Every thing cools down and all the guys that bought $700 guns for $2000 start trying to sell and crash the value.

I'm not a big gambler and have rarely had the luck as to be on the side of the coin I am now.

:confused::confused::confused:

Gliden07
01-08-2013, 08:46 PM
I would keep it but I keep everything I buy!! I still have the first Single-shot H&R Shotgun I bought for 15 bucks 35 years ago!! Bought a S&W 469 12 round double stack mag didn't like the trigger didn't care for the finish etc... I still have it!! Although I've been looking at a S&W 41 I was thinking about trading for a partial on it. I'll end up buying the 41 and keeping the 469!! LOL!!

montana_charlie
01-08-2013, 09:49 PM
I wasn't able to secure a personal stash of mags and ammo. I've got 1 30 rounder and 1 20. With nothing to feed it
Yeah I've got the skills just not the supplies.

I'm not a big gambler and have rarely had the luck as to be on the side of the coin I am now.
Sounds like you never did really have a job for it ... and still don't. May as well sell it off.

I said before that I don't 'use' mine because it is being saved for a future possibility. But that doesn't mean I ignore it.
Whenever I leave the house after dark to check cows ... or any other night time chore ... I carry it with me instead of the sidearm that I used to wear.

Not only is it SO much more capable than a handgun, it's 'feel' takes me back to my night time (0200 to 0400) guard duty shift on Nui Ba Den mountain. I carried an AR-15 there, too, but that was just the Air Force designation for the M-16.
It wasn't the only weapon I used there, and it wasn't even the first one I used to shoot an enemy. But, I came to trust it as a constant companion which never quit on me.

CM

polara426sh
01-08-2013, 10:30 PM
We can only watch and wait (along with pray) at this point.

Don't just watch, wait, and pray! Call your Representatives! Tell them that their job is riding on how they vote to defend the freedom of their constituents. If you don't talk to your reps, be assured that the people who don't want you to have firearms are talking to them. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Be the loudest wheel that you can!

DCM
01-08-2013, 11:37 PM
TX308
From your posts it sounds like you really have no love for the rifle and nothing to feed it with.
From a purely logical stance there is no better time to sell than now.
You could get some thingS you really want and make someone else happy with what they want.
Plus you are more likely to get ammo etc. for other stuff much easier right now.
I have never warmed up to the ARs either, I have owned them but they never gave me that "feeling" so they are gone without regret.

Highway41
01-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Sounds like you never did really have a job for it ... and still don't.

MC, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I never had a job for it. I fully appreciate its superiority over a handgun but my comfort zone is with the handguns. And I don't have a ranch to patrol.

Thanks to everyone for your input, I've made my decision. It's going on the market. I refuse to gouge anyone but reasonable considerations based on the current market will be taken into account.

sessumrd
01-09-2013, 01:00 AM
Everyone has their reasons and price... I could be totally wrong, but it sounds from your post that your decision may be an emotional one due to the political climate. From personal experience, this is not the time to make a rash decision, as I have lived to regret these times in my life. Who knows what legislation and regulations the bone heads in power and the bleeding hearts will try to enact, but if it goes the way many are fearing...who's to say trading for a "semi-auto" anything will lessen your concern if it is indeed the fear of banning... Nevertheless, even then, it will still be your decision should you relinquish your right by surrendering. But if your decision is based on a business need...i.e, you no longer want it, or need the $$, then by all means this is a good time to liquidate the asset...

starmac
01-09-2013, 01:50 AM
I have had one stored here for over two years, it has been at least that long since it has been shot. The owner told me today that he has zero love for it, and he may just sell it, as he has no use for it. it has nothing to do with bans or any political climate, but more to do with the going price those that think they must have one is paying. If I had a hundred of them they would all be for sale for the same reasons.

garym1a2
01-09-2013, 10:08 AM
If you don't like the gun now is a great time to sell for top dollar!
If the crisis goes away prices will drop like a rock. If a full ban goes into place you will not be able to sell it.

So just after my divorce I finally got around to putting together my AR-15. Started with the Stag lower put in a DPMS parts kit and got a complete Stag upper to put on it. Put a few rounds through it and proceeded directly to the LGS and got a RRA trigger group for it. Put a few more rounds through it, put it back in its case and there it has stayed.
Thing is I have really not much interest in shooting it now. I have my 308 boltie for rifle distance hunting and where I hunt is great for handgun hunting which is what I want to focus on.
The AR was fun to build but I am not interested in caliber conversions or tacticooling (think I just invented a new word) it out.
With all the potential headaches that may be coming for the AR, I'm just really torn as to if I would be better off keeping it or just go ahead and trade it off to someone who can get more use/pleasure out of it
Not trying to get offers here just opinions. My trade thoughts go towards a nice 1911 in 45 or preferably almost any 10mm semiauto.

SharpsShooter
01-09-2013, 10:25 AM
In your situation, I would go ahead and sell. Don't worry about the dooms day stuff. If that happens, they'll be plenty of them on the ground to pick up.

SS

dg31872
01-09-2013, 11:00 AM
I too have a Bushmaster that rarely sees the light of day. I have ample mags, and since I have three rifles in 223, I have more than ample supplies to feed it. I bought it primerly to thin the large groups of hogs that cross our pasture. I even have an AN/PVS4to put on it. I'm going to hang on to it, hopefully the existing rifles will be grandfathered and the new rifles will have some sort of requirements on them. Our government is a group of individuals each with his own ideas. I suspect whatever shakes out of this will be some compromise of some sort. Just my two cents...

MBTcustom
01-10-2013, 02:35 PM
In your situation, I would go ahead and sell. Don't worry about the dooms day stuff. If that happens, they'll be plenty of them on the ground to pick up.

SS

Very good point!

mpmarty
01-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Bought a Colt ar-15-2 a few years ago because everyone else seemed to have an AR. My military experience was training on a Garand and being issued an M-14 which I liked a lot. That said having no experience with .223 ARs my experience was dismal. I hated that thing and dumped it at my first opportunity. As a SHTF weapon it sucks big time my personal replacement for that AR is an AK chambered for 7.62 NATO and 308 Winchester so stamped on the receiver by the factory. If and when the SHTF I feel that NATO will be involved and as such 7.62 mg ammo will be plentiful in the field. My godson joined the USMC ten or twelve yrs ago and related to me firing the M-4 at 600 meters and walking down to the butts and pulling bullets out of the plywood backers where they were shallowly stuck less than an eighth of an inch into the wood. He's not too impressed with that weapon system either and I can't say that I blame him.

montana_charlie
01-10-2013, 03:15 PM
That said having no experience with .223 ARs my experience was dismal. I hated that thing and dumped it at my first opportunity. As a SHTF weapon it sucks big time my personal replacement for that AR is an AK chambered for 7.62 NATO and 308 Winchester so stamped on the receiver by the factory. If and when the SHTF I feel that NATO will be involved and as such 7.62 mg ammo will be plentiful in the field.
Your logic may not hold up to your expectations.
Did you know that most ARs are chambered in 5.56 x 45 mm and that the current military ammunition for them is called M855 NATO?

CM

wallenba
01-10-2013, 03:17 PM
I am not a big fan of AR's myself, but I built one out of boredom. I'm a tinkering type person and as a gun person I thought it would be interesting. I finished mine the day before the Sandy Hook incident, and have not fired it yet. All the talk has me thinking about what might happen in the future regarding ownership. If we have to surrender them, they will get ONLY my bare bones lower reciever, as that's the only part with fed paperwork on it. Perhaps someone will design a rifle in the future that will accept the upper and won't look 'scary' to the libtards.

mpmarty
01-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Your logic may not hold up to your expectations.
Did you know that most ARs are chambered in 5.56 x 45 mm and that the current military ammunition for them is called M855 NATO?

CM

Yes MC I'm aware of the nomenclature and the fact that my A2 had a twelve inch twist which is now worthless as is the M855 stuff. Arguments over .223 vs M855 are like the 7.62 vs 308 Win. much ado about nothing. .223 can be loaded with heavy bullets too.

giz189
01-10-2013, 06:09 PM
I am not a big fan of AR's myself, but I built one out of boredom. I'm a tinkering type person and as a gun person I thought it would be interesting. I finished mine the day before the Sandy Hook incident, and have not fired it yet. All the talk has me thinking about what might happen in the future regarding ownership. If we have to surrender them, they will get ONLY my bare bones lower reciever, as that's the only part with fed paperwork on it. Perhaps someone will design a rifle in the future that will accept the upper and won't look 'scary' to the libtards. Sorry, does not compute.

HATCH
01-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Sorry, does not compute.

You right it doesn't but let me put my tinfoil hat on and toss this out there.
There is no restriction on a 80% lower receiver cause its not a firearm.
So it would be possible to save your upper and lower internal parts (basically everything but the stripped lower) in hopes of finding someone to make a blackmarket lower.

Hell I knew a guy that had a mini-cnc mill and he milled AR receivers out of a block of alum. So anything is possible

wallenba
01-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Sorry, does not compute.

Are you saying you think we WILL have to surrender them? Or that you will go toe to toe with thirty heavily armed jackbooted ATF thugs over a single gun part?

ffg
01-11-2013, 06:58 AM
......... don't mention its existence .... well too late for that !

There is a coming storm , if I had an AR , I would hang on to it , but I don't have one .

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2013, 07:15 AM
Im with goodsteel. I gave the same thoughts to parting with my ar10 since the prices are so over the top and i never really got attatched to it because its so heavy. thing is ive got about 5k of ammo and it would be a pain to sell and i sure dont need that much for my bolt 308s. Figured what the hell. Its bought and paid for. Its not going down in value anytime soon and id just blow the money on something stupid anyway. I may only take it out once a year but its kind of a rush to shoot when i do.
I'm not a fan of the AR-15 at all (probably a lack of education), but my thought is that it aint costing you a dime sitting in your safe. If it were me, I would just tuck it back quietly and let it sit. Don't sell it, and don't mention its existence unless somebody asks. We don't know what is going to happen in the coming months. All I know is that a man that has a gun has more options than a man that has none, no matter what the situation is. Don't let the fear that is being propagated by both sides cause you to make a decision. My advice is, be calm, sit tight, hold what you got, be prepared, and do what you can to stand up for your rights without painting the proverbial target on your back.
Nobody knows how this will shake out, but selling things, or making decisions based on prophesies that are rooted in fear is a surefire way to make a mistake.
Just my 2 cents.

montana_charlie
01-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Perhaps someone will design a rifle in the future that will accept the upper and won't look 'scary' to the libtards.
Check out the KT-15-B on this page http://www.ktordnance.com/kto/detail/kt15bx.html

CM

cbrick
01-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Never could generate interest in the black gun craze though I've always wanted an M1-A1 since the 60's when I spent some time with Uncles Marine Corps. Never did get one, probably too late now.

Sell an AR15 now, I think about like several posters, if it's not high on your priority list you'll probably end up selling it on the down the road and you'll likely never get a better price for it than right now. Plus the possibility that it may well be illegal to sell at any price later. If it does have a place on your priority list you will have regrets if you sell it so sure, keep it.

As for the SHTF scenario if things ever do get that bad and the government comes for your guns and they think there is any chance of an armed conflict it won't be two cops knocking on your door, it will be half the Sherriff's Dept., the FBI and the BATF in armored vehicles and helicopters. Good luck with that. If the SHTF is civil unrest the AR may well do you some good, for awhile.

Rick

colt 357
01-12-2013, 02:50 AM
I have never regretted buying a gun either. I have a 9mm Hi Point isn't the best gun in the fleet but is funn. I shot black powder though it and bullets reloaded with strike anywhere matches. I paid $130.00 dollars for it. I spent more at the casino in one nite and came home with nothin. I still got and shoot my hi point.