PDA

View Full Version : Reamer question

Twhessler
01-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Hi
I have some reamer questions maybe I could get help with.
I plan on re lining an old 22 Winchester pump, I have done my homework and feel this should be a pretty routine job.

This gun is a 22 short.
I'm thinking why not buy a long rifle chamber reamer and just not go full depth, this way I can reuse the reamer at a later date on a more common LR .

Brownells and Midway are out of LR readers so now I'm thinking why not get a match chamber reamer ? If This were a bolt action it would get a match chamber anyway.

Or just get the short chamber reamer and do it the way it's supposed to be done.

Thanks for any advice, Tom

eck0313
01-08-2013, 12:12 PM
If you need to cut the rim recess in the chamber, you don't have the option of running the reamer in short to cut a .22 Short chamber with an LR reamer.

"Match" chambers come in MANY varieties, some that will not be a good idea for your pump gun (oversize bullets causing the rounds to drag when chambered).

Did you consider renting a reamer from 4D instead?

Twhessler
01-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Eck0310 - maybe I don't understand how the reamer works. Seems to me if I used a LF reamer and just cut deep enough for a short to sit right it should be done. The difference between a LF reamer and a short should only be the depth to which you can ream.
Please correct. Me if I have this all wrong !
I figured the match chamber might not work but I could always polish it out until it fed right.

Thanks for your help, Tom

Willbird
01-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Some barrels have a rim recess, and then in some other guns there is none. If there is a rim recess and you are not doing the job in the lathe, if you run the LR reamer in short you will not get a rim recess. If doing it in a lathe you could just bore the rim recess with a single point tool.

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_184050015_1.jpg

The upper reamer is probably for a rimmed ctg, the step on the right cuts the recess for the case rim.
Bill

Twhessler
01-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Now I understand, I didn't pick up on the rim recess. Wasn't thinking in those terms, anyhow the recess is in the bolt.
So with that straightened out. Will my idea work?
I am very mechanically inclined, but I have never done this and have never used a reamer like this. I am trying to get all the info I can before I start.
Thanks for the help, Tom

eck0313
01-08-2013, 06:19 PM
If your rim recess is in the bolt, you're in tall cotton.

Willbird
01-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Ya I agree if no rim recess is required you are good to go, the 22 short has a fairly short bullet (29 grain) so you might not need to run the reamer in as deep as you think.

Junior1942
01-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Check your mailbox for the latest *Shooting Times*. It has an article on this very subject.

ipopum
01-09-2013, 02:30 PM
There is one other consideration that must be addressed. The Winchester o6 model that I had was chambered for the 22 long. A long rifle would hang up when on the lifter coming out of the magazine tube. The gun must have the correct innards to run long rifle's.

Bren R.
01-09-2013, 03:31 PM
There is one other consideration that must be addressed. The Winchester o6 model that I had was chambered for the 22 long. A long rifle would hang up when on the lifter coming out of the magazine tube. The gun must have the correct innards to run long rifle's.

I think you misunderstood, he's going to keep the gun as a .22 Short... just wants to know if he can run a 22LR reamer in partway to cut a short chamber (since the rim recess is in the bolt) - he's not looking to change the chambering.

Bren R.

ipopum
01-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Yes I did.

rick/pa
01-26-2014, 02:41 PM
If you're doing this to a Winchester 1890 or 06 the rim recess is in the bolt. There is no rim recess in the barrel so I don't see why your idea wouldn't work as the case is not tapered. I'm rebuilding an 1890 right now and just bought a Numrich barrel because the old one was shot. This is not a collector gun that I am ruining but an assembly of parts to make a shooter for my grandson. BTW I did not buy the barrel from Numrich, they are out of stock but I found it in an old gunshop.