PDA

View Full Version : Hunting vs. Store bought meat.

Just Duke
01-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Thought I would share this here. HERE (http://www.xerxy.com/2009/05/22/shame-on-you-hunters/)

Pb2au
01-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Well, that was enough to make my head hurt.
Remember Duke, the mother of stupid is always pregnant.

Just Duke
01-08-2013, 11:36 AM

You would be surprised how many people think there is a meat making machine in the back of the grocery.

Bullshop
01-08-2013, 12:44 PM
But those out of touch with reality are the majarity and so rule over the well founded that stayed close to the land. We are all being dragged out to sea with the lemming migration like it or not.

MBTcustom
01-08-2013, 12:56 PM
I dunno, you take out all the growth hormones, preservatives, water additives, and MSG's, what do you have left? Seems like the critter is becoming an additive anymore LOL!

Roundnoser
01-08-2013, 01:10 PM
You would be surprised how many people think there is a meat making machine in the back of the grocery.

Here's the worst part: Those people VOTE! Yikes!

They are also the same people who want strip malls, new highways, and new housing developments but don't have a clue that "progress" takes up food and cover from those poor, sweet animals. Perhaps they would benefit from seeing pictures of starving and diseased animals....the result of their parking lots and department stores!

Bulldogger
01-08-2013, 01:21 PM
I saw that back on Leno, still funny!
BDGR

smokeywolf
01-08-2013, 02:03 PM
It's reallllllly scary to contemplate the actual number of people who don't know that all that meat in the supermarket was once living, breathing animals. And, as Roundnoser says, all those people are being permitted to vote... And drive a car. That should send a chill up your spine.

smokeywolf

starmac
01-08-2013, 03:00 PM
It is not just meat, but basically everything, groceries comes in a box or can, lumber comes from a lumber yard etc. It really is a shame that folks can get past the Santa Clause stage with no grasp of reality.

44man
01-08-2013, 03:24 PM
You are not allowed to eat because they showed plants felt pain when cut! Keep out of my grass! You can eat the dog poop in my yard because my dogs ate air.
Crazy people.
Those sites look interesting. Wonder how many I could get kicked off?

**oneshot**
01-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Made me laugh and remember something. My youngest had a freind over to play, My wife asked him if he wanted to go pick a tomatoe for his sandwich. The boy looked at him like she was from Mars and didn't know what a garden was and said that tomatoes came from the store. No big deal, he's 7. After dropping off the boy to his mother, we got a phone call and were told that she is taking him to the ER to get his stomach pumped so he doesn't get poisoned from whatever we fed him since of course- "Tomatoes don't grow in gardens they come from the store" and she was mad that we wouldn't tell her what we actually fed him. I would have loved to see the look on the doctors face when she go there and told the story.

Bullshop
01-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Last year we were in Delta Junction and ran into a young couple on the road and down on thier luck. My son talked with them for a bit and decided to help. He went in the store and bought a large loaf of uncut french bread and a loaf of bologna and gave it to them because they said they were hungry. He said here eat and they said but what do we do with it. They had no clue. These type helpless will be the first wave to die when the system breaks down.

starmac
01-08-2013, 04:20 PM
I can care less if folks don't want to eat wild game, or take any interest in agriculture at all, but raising a kid, any kid at all with no knowledge of where food comes from is a great disservice to your kid. I feel that most people that got a look at the process that meat goes through before it ever gets to the store, if given the chance would prefer wild game.

sundog
01-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Yeah, and milk comes from.., WHERE??? Oh my gawd!

white eagle
01-08-2013, 05:18 PM

OMG just about busted a gasket on that one
it is so true

Blammer
01-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Killed three squirrels today, Son helps clean them and was tickled to death to run out there and pick them up after being shot. (yes he knows to make sure they are dead first.)

He can't wait till the squirrel stew is made tomorrow! I think my kids know where meat comes from. The woods! :)

Springfield
01-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Yeah, but don't forget, buy electric cars because you get all that electricity free from the wall socket instead of using all that stinky gasoline!

x101airborne
01-08-2013, 06:56 PM
And that is why my kids hunt and fish with me all the time. We have 4-wheelers instead of gaming consoles. We have rifles and shotguns instead of facebook pages. Want to make my oldest son have a fit? Tell him he cant help skin and gut the deer or hog. You might as well slap him. He is the ONLY 10 year old that I trust to carry his own Blackhawk.

And yes, those people will be the first ones that we survive off of if something terrible ever happens. And I wont feel bad one bit.

BruceB
01-08-2013, 07:35 PM
We left our wilderness home one morning to go shoot some caribou for meat. Didn't get more than about 1/2 mile from home on a bush trail before we saw a dozen or so caribou in the trees just off the trail.

I told wife and four-year-old daughter to stay in the truck until the shooting stopped, and killed four animals with my faithful M700 '06.

Went back to the truck, let the gals out. and my daughter said, "Now the fun begins!" She actively helped with the field-dressing and butchering.

She definitely knows where meat comes from.... and now, at 27, she has a judicious selection of her own guns, rifles/pistols/shotguns.

fryboy
01-08-2013, 07:42 PM
how she keeps a straight face i'll never know .... i offer you fresh pork sausage from the store :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1a2RRNOshI

leftiye
01-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Yeah, and milk comes from.., WHERE??? Oh my gawd!

Why, out of the right spout on the separator, of course.

Wolfer
01-08-2013, 09:15 PM
I've always said the three biggest problems with kids in the world were TV, air cond, and processed meat.
When I was young we didn't have TV to set around and watch. No AC so you couldn't stay in the house in the summer thru the day. If we had chicken for dinner we just picked out which one and if we could catch it we could eat it.
However in my older years I kinda like AC and a little TV sometimes but most of my meat dies by my own hand.

wolfe28
01-08-2013, 10:24 PM

This about sums it up.

D

flipajig
01-08-2013, 11:15 PM
I process all my own meat veggies and fruit
If I want pork I kill and bucher it myself from bacon to pork chops and sausage
For red meat deer fill my freezer from steaks roasts and ground meat
The rest comes out of my garden trees from friends we share and share alike.
Flip

Stephen Cohen
01-09-2013, 02:59 AM
Every time I open these pages, I realise how similar our countries are. Our populations are made up of the same sort of morons, thank god we few got the intelligence gene.

Yukoner
01-09-2013, 03:19 AM
Many don't believe it, but meat grows on trees where I come from.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/laketrouter/IMGP3726.jpg

My buddy with some we tied up to bring home this Fall.

Ted

x101airborne
01-09-2013, 09:25 AM
HAH! That's a good one, Ted. Right on.

dk17hmr
01-09-2013, 03:27 PM
When I first started dating my wife I could barely get her in the barn to look at the deer I had hanging. 7 years later she is helping me grind and package meat in our kitchen. She enjoys the meat I bring home so she helps put it up. She wasn't oblivious to where meat came from she just never got it anywhere but the grocery store. When we have kids you can bet they will know how to shoot a rifle, sharpen a knife on a stone not one of those plastic things, and they will know how to cut and put up meat. Its an important part of our life and it is knowledge that needs to be passed on, even my wife agrees with that.

MT Gianni
01-09-2013, 08:27 PM
SIL turned down 1/2 a beef from my parents for a few years running. The fact that is was killed at home was enough to turn her off though a processing plant cut it. No usda grade didn't help.

wv109323
01-09-2013, 09:54 PM
I was with a co-worker and somehow we got onto the different cuts of meat. HE was near 30 y.o. and wanted to know part of the cow bologna came from.

Wolfer
01-09-2013, 10:15 PM
My cousins best friend was a butcher. We were visiting one day and he said some woman had brought a hog in and on her list was she wanted some Spam. She was pretty irate what she picked up her meat and there was no spam. He also said he'd had several people ask that their whole hog be made into pork chops.

blikseme300
01-10-2013, 10:48 AM

Yeah, right next to the machines that make milk and eggs!

DxieLandMan
01-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Haven't bought any beef in over 4 years. Been eating game (elk, deer, antelope).

rush1886
01-10-2013, 06:40 PM
My wife was born and raised in Chicago. She is of east european heritage, so was no stranger to the idea of sausages, sauerkraut,etc, but had never had the opportunity to partake of wild game. After 21 yrs of marriage, she makes sure I get in all my "control hunt" applications on time, helps me pack my gear for the hunt, and is waiting at the back door, sharpened boning knife in hand, when I get home.
Last year she was right there, beginning to end, to get thru the cut and wrap of not only my moose, but the neighbors elk as well. She's still not 100% sure what is sirloin, round, or butt, but she openly tells everyone, "sure beats that **** out of the grocery store"!

I think I'll keep her!

arjacobson
01-11-2013, 08:56 PM
And chicken eggs? LOL

Why, out of the right spout on the separator, of course.

Just Duke
01-11-2013, 09:14 PM
And chicken eggs? LOL
Well they come out of a box. Duh!

TXGunNut
01-11-2013, 11:56 PM
I buy very little meat. I don't digest beef very well and every hog I've butchered lately smelled better than the store-bought pork I buy to raise the fat content. A city-boy cousin saw a photo of my fresh-made Italian sausage on Facebook last year and asked "how much for five pounds of that?" I told him to take a hunter safety course and get a license, I'd help him with the rest. I'm afraid he's stuck w/ store-bought, his wife doesn't much care for guns & such.

Norbrat
01-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Last night I watched the film Food, Inc on TV. Puts you off any store bought food! :shock:

oldred
01-13-2013, 09:28 PM
What gets me about these idiots who scream about the brutality of hunting is that the animals we kill are usually dispatched in a much more humane way than what nature usually has in store for them, do they honestly think all these wild critters just get old and retire until they die of old age? How many animals actually become old? Take that cute little bunny rabbit for instance, what is the usual demise of a wild rabbit? Torn apart and eaten alive by a fox, bobcat, hawk, owl, dog or any number of other predators but the bottom line is it WILL die a violent death sooner or later that is in all likelihood going to be more violent and prolonged than a properly placed gunshot. I once tried to explain that to one of these idiots (there I called them that again!) but was told that whatever might happen in nature is "natural"- Huh? Well I guess it is but my hunting is just a natural instinct also and I do it much more humanely than what "nature" has in store for 99% of all the wild animals out there, think about it- how many wild animals are going to die a natural death of old age?

Just Duke
01-13-2013, 09:43 PM
Last night I watched the film Food, Inc on TV. Puts you off any store bought food! :shock:

We saw it too.

TXGunNut
01-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Hunting is brutal? Hope they never see what happens in a processing plant.

RP
01-13-2013, 09:54 PM
I did some work at a chicken processing plant a few years back. I was told they hang the chickens and put them in a dark room that calms them. All that right before their heads at cut off they have to do that because of the peta protesters. The fellows that have the pork market kill their own hogs and were walking up behind them with a axe and one pop they were out and on the way to being bacon. Now they are shot with plastic bullets or a spike shot into their heads. I think if i was lower on the food chain (BTW were at the top people keep forgetting that) I rather have the bullet in the woods while i was peacefully walking around. I do have to say all the kids in our family girls also have helped or just watched deer ducks doves rabbits and other game go from fur feathers to a meal.

Wolfer
01-13-2013, 10:02 PM
I would rather be a deer with the off chance of dying of old age than be a calf with no chance at all.

jaysouth
01-13-2013, 10:39 PM
About 30 years ago, I was living in Arlington, VA with twin daughters aged 8. Arlington is a very dense urban area surrounded by millions of people in every direction. I first took my daughters fishing and taught them how to clean fish. Then we went squirrel hunting and they learned to clean and cook squirrels. Then I brought two chickens home one day. After killing them and drawing them, we were singing pin feathers when the police showed up. A neighbor had complained that we were being cruel to animals. the cop that showed up had to confer with a number of supervisors and someone from the prosecutors office to make sure that we were not breaking any laws.

Last month I took my grandson squirrel hunting and showed him how to clean them. He took them home to his mother who braised them in a red wine sauce and served them with rice pilaf.

FLHTC
01-14-2013, 08:38 AM

I believe fast food restaurants actually have those machines..i can just picture the boxes of "meat mix" ingredients. :)

starmac
01-15-2013, 12:33 AM
The fast food restaurants taste like they have a meat making machine.

I am pretty sure everywhere I have ever lived if a cop come out, and even thought about giving me a hard time about killing chickens, he would never want to come back for any reason. lol
A couple years ago I was down at my mothers cleaning up her place, and built quite a pile of brush during the day. The wind was blowing so I didn't light it until right before dark and the wind died down. The neighbors called the law, it seems like you could not have fire AFTER DARK, goofiest law I ever heard of. The deputy was pretty cool though, he asked how long it would take for me to put it out. I told him I figured it would take a few hours, and he said as long as I was working on putting the fire out it would be all good. lol

gandydancer
01-15-2013, 02:08 AM
we saw a dozen or so caribou in the trees just off the trail.

oh man I'm glad to know this. I was going to look for them on the ground. I learn something new on this site every day. GD

We left our wilderness home one morning to go shoot some caribou for meat. Didn't get more than about 1/2 mile from home on a bush trail before we saw a dozen or so caribou in the trees just off the trail.

I told wife and four-year-old daughter to stay in the truck until the shooting stopped, and killed four animals with my faithful M700 '06.

Went back to the truck, let the gals out. and my daughter said, "Now the fun begins!" She actively helped with the field-dressing and butchering.

She definitely knows where meat comes from.... and now, at 27, she has a judicious selection of her own guns, rifles/pistols/shotguns.

Just Duke
01-15-2013, 09:23 AM
My wifey grew up on a ranch where her grandfather, former attorney, turned circuit court judge boarded horses for his posse back in the day. Her dad also living on the same ranch was into building large sail boats and lived for fishing. Her grandfather was the hunter in the family. So from age 5 was fishing and cleaning her own fish at 6, sailing,riding horses, chasing cows and hunting with her dad mom and grandfather in Olympia WA.

The Bambi lovers in this world are in for a rude awakening as our world is slowly reverting back to an agrarian culture and none of them have any say so in the matter. Hence, my presence here.
I can surely see watching the masses starving to death laying in a garden ripe with fruit and vegetables with deer liking their feet.

FLHTC
01-15-2013, 10:18 AM
I concur Duke. I remember as a little boy, i carried aluminum cut from beer cans in my tackle box along with matches. If i was hungry, id filet one and use the aluminum as a pan and eat fresh for lunch. Today, a child would be cited for air pollution and unlawful burning, possessing edged weapons and butchering game fish to avoid identification.

BruceB
01-15-2013, 04:09 PM
we saw a dozen or so caribou in the trees just off the trail.

oh man I'm glad to know this. I was going to look for them on the ground. I learn something new on this site every day. GD

With apologies to Robert Service (The Cremation of Sam McGee):

"There are strange things done 'neath the Midnight Sun
By the men who moil for gold.

The northern trails have their secret tales
That will make your blood run cold.

The Northern Lights have seen strange sights,
But the strangest they ever did see

Was the night on the marge of Lake Labarge", when I SHOT A CARIBOU OUT OF A TREE....

Spend enough time in the far North, and you WILL see some unbelievable things!