PDA

View Full Version : Problem with JPW

dannyabear
07-07-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm a fairly new caster and have a couple of lee 6 hole molds for 9mm and 45acp. Both are the tumble lube design. I did the cleaning, smoking, and lubing on them already have case at least 1000 of each. I have a problem with johnson paste wax as lube
I put 20 of them in a plastic tub with about 1/4 spoonful of jpw and swish around for several seconds; let set for a couple of days and then do them again. They lead the barrel pretty bag on my almost new Bersa 9mm, haven't shot any 45s yet.
It looks like i have enought lube on the nose of the bullet, on the cone and the base but not enough where it counts, in the grovees;
Any suggestions? Should I just use the Lee alox, or something else?
Thanks

Ricochet
07-07-2007, 03:57 PM
You are melting the JPW, right? It's got to be liquid to tumble lube like that. Gentle heat's all it takes, the stuff's about 80% mineral spirits and melts readily out of the can. Some have done it with a glass jar in the sunshine.

Like other lubes, people have reported mixed results. Some swear by it, some swear at it.

Also, what bullet alloy and sizes are you using? Lots of leading problems aren't the lube's fault at all.

Leftoverdj
07-07-2007, 04:08 PM
I doubt the problem is the lube. A rough or oversized barrel will give leading. So will pressures too high for your alloy. The 9mm is not cast bullet friendly. Many barrels are oversize, the pressures are usually high, and the standard twist is far faster than needed. Many of us shoot bullets sized .358 or .359 in the 9mm.

Try your .45. You should get a lot better results.

btw, the better method of applying JPW is to heat your bullets slightly before applying. Direct sunlight for an hour will do it in summer. I do sueveral hundred at a time in a metal coffee can.

dannyabear
07-07-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm using wheel weights and adding about 2 -2 1/2% tin (Lead free solder)
I'm shooting them as cast, don't have anything to measure bullet or barrel dia.
In the 9mm the bullet is a 125gr round nose tumble lube, loaded with 4.2 grs of win 231; shoots good, smokes, and leads barrel.
Thanks for the suggestions
I have not been heating up the jpw bacause here in Louisiana it's hot enough, and it liquifies when shaken with the bullets

Ricochet
07-07-2007, 05:38 PM
You do need to get a caliper (decent electronic ones have been selling for under $20 lately) to measure your bullets, and slug your bore to see what it's dimensions are. That is, oil a bullet or piece of lead such as a sinker that's slightly larger than your barrel's groove diameter and drive it through the barrel with a dowel or rod and measure it.