PDA

View Full Version : removing paint from black gun

oldscool
01-08-2013, 03:18 AM
I bought one of those black guns that looks like somebody rattle canned. Really not that bad of a job, but has quite a few chips at the edges. What would be recommed to use to strip the paint off without harming the black anodizing.
Thanks

BoolitSchuuter
01-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Completely disassemble, soak painted parts in acetone, toluene, TMIK/ MEK or whatever will dissolve the paint.

DO NOT PUT ANY PLASTIC PARTS IN THESE CHEMICALS!!!!! If you do, they will magically turn into a gooey sludge!:-D

Use a stiff, natural fiber bristle brush to scrub any knurled surfaces, crevices, corners. This will remove ALL paint. Including the original finish if it was painted, but will not harm the anodized surface. I wouldn't recommend paint stripper as some contain acids that might etch the surface. Assuming the original surface is left intact, let dry and liberally spray the parts with Remoil and reassemble, wipe down and you should be good to go.

BTW, we are talking paint and not the new ceramic bake on finishes right? if it is, the only way I've heard of is bead blasting. Which would need (in my opinion) to be done by someone with experience.

nhrifle
01-08-2013, 11:37 AM
If it is the kind of paint you get at wally world and similar places, a good penetrating oil like CLP or PB Blast will remove it and not hurt any parts. Brake Parts spray cleaner will also take it off. If it is one of the more exotic firarms paints, not sure what to do with that.

I'll Make Mine
01-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Completely disassemble, soak painted parts in acetone, toluene, TMIK/ MEK or whatever will dissolve the paint.

Carburetor cleaner may still be available at auto parts stores (lots of cars still have carburetors, right?); it'll remove anything you could reasonably call paint, though you do have to be careful about long term soaking of aluminum and zinc (there should be warnings on the container and instructions how to get parts clean without damage). Better, carburetor cleaner is made to be used in a shop environment for stripping paint, varnish, etc., and is less flammable than acetone or MEK.

Tokarev
01-08-2013, 09:24 PM
+1 for acetone or methyl-hydrate AKA methanol. Most paint strippers contain methanol.
Acetone readily stripped varnish from my VZ-858 bolt.

oldred
01-08-2013, 09:54 PM
How about common paint remover???? It works great, just spray or brush it on depending on which type you get then wait a couple of minutes for the paint to wrinkle up and rinse it off with water. You can get both types just about anywhere, auto parts stores, WallyWorld, any hardware store or about anywhere else paint is sold. It will strip the parts down to bare metal in less than two minutes.

RP
01-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Brake fluid will take off most paints and I do not think you have any issues with non metal parts. Its not a flame hazard as much as others and the smell is not as bad.

oldscool
01-09-2013, 01:19 AM
Thanks every one for the replys. Am sure it is just run of the mill spray can paint, as I can fleck the finish off where the chips are with my fingernail.

I have a few of the chemicals suggested on hand. Was concened with harming the original anodized surface.

Again,
Thanks for the guidance.

waksupi
01-09-2013, 01:47 AM
Go to Sherwin Williams, and ask for Aircraft and Marine Stripper. It will even remove Weatherby finish slick as could be.

Artful
01-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Just don't soak in simple green or other citric based cleaners - that will remove even Type 3 anodized finish

oldscool
01-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Artful,
Thank you for the tip about citric based cleaners. I use lemishine for brass and a few other things, and was not aware of its harm to anodized pieces.