PDA

View Full Version : 43 Beaumont & 43 Egyptian

klw
07-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Can these two be interchanged? In the books I've looked at some say yes and some say know. Anyone actually done it?

McLintock
07-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Don't know which rifle you're trying to adapt to, but there's a big difference in bullet diameter between the two. The Egyptian is listed at .448 (we found a mould, Rapine I think, made for the 11 MM Mauser, that throws a .446 bullet), while the Beaumont has either a .457 or .464 diameter bullet. Seems like you could shoot the Beaumont in the Egyptian, if the bullets were made of a soft alloy, but not visa versa, at least very accurately. A hollow base bullet might bump up enough to allow it though.
McLintock

klw
07-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Don't know which rifle you're trying to adapt to, but there's a big difference in bullet diameter between the two. The Egyptian is listed at .448 (we found a mould, Rapine I think, made for the 11 MM Mauser, that throws a .446 bullet), while the Beaumont has either a .457 or .464 diameter bullet. Seems like you could shoot the Beaumont in the Egyptian, if the bullets were made of a soft alloy, but not visa versa, at least very accurately. A hollow base bullet might bump up enough to allow it though.
McLintock

And the Beaumont comes in two flavors, one case for the single shot and one for the magazine repeated. I've got the magazine repeater but use the bullet and dies for the single shot. Works just fine.

Also I use Ballisti-Cast 990-5 (H&G 390-5) in both. I think that the reason Eqyptian might be as you indicated is because maybe it was meant for use with a paper patch. But this bullet performs very very well in both guns.

I'm just going to have to see if I can interchange these two.

Buckshot
07-09-2007, 11:40 AM
................The 43 Egyptian has a fairly large casehead above the rim. One of the largest for cases of that type (length, capacity, bullet dia) and 'may' require some fancy reduction in the form of roll sizing or heavy swaging to make it work. I don't have my COW book handy to look at the differences.

.................Buckshot

McLintock
07-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Really not that much difference in those sizes, Buckshot, based on my 3rd edition of COW. The rim diameter of the Egyptian is .668 and the Beaumonts are either .666 or .665 depending on version; earliest is first. The base size above the rim is .581 for the Egyptian and either .581 or .576 on the Beaumont. Pretty close and OAL is close also, at 1.94 for the Egyptian and either 1.97 or 2.04 for the Beaumont, with the longer one being the later version. Shoulder diameters are .542 for the Egyptain and .530 or .528 for the Beaumont; sloppy chambers might take care of this difference. They make cases for the Egyptain out of 50-70 govt brass so I assume you could make it for the Beaumont also.
McLintock

Buckshot
07-12-2007, 02:49 AM
................Got the new Graf & Son catalog. Jamison is offering Beaumont brass a helluva lot cheaper then Bertram. Egyptian too!

..............Buckshot

klw
07-12-2007, 06:38 AM
................Got the new Graf & Son catalog. Jamison is offering Beaumont brass a helluva lot cheaper then Bertram. Egyptian too!

..............Buckshot

But, according to Buzz Huntington it may well be a year before it is available.

Buckshot
07-13-2007, 01:13 AM
But, according to Buzz Huntington it may well be a year before it is available.

............You might check with the folks at Graf & Son and see what they say. I find it hard to believe that Huntington is handling all the distribution (if that's what you ment by mentioning Huntingtons) as the British & Militaria forums did a group buy on 577-450 and 577 Snider and went direct. Huntingtons wasn't involved.

..............Buckshot