PDA

View Full Version : is there a Low Smoke Lube out there?

smifffphe
01-07-2013, 08:03 PM
I load a 40 cal S&W , 185gn, with Unique and liquid Alox. Changing the powder but what about the lube. I have a lubrisizer now so what Lube would help?

Love Life
01-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Lotak has worked for me along with Thompson Blue.

GBertolet
01-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Do you have a lubrisizer? If so get Red Carnaruba, sold by White Label. If you don't, and have no plans to get one, you could try thinning out the LLA with mineral spirits, which will leave somewhat less smoke. People have been known to add anywhere from 10 to 50% mineral spirits to their liquid alox. Full strength liquid alox is overkill for standard velocity handgun loads.

smifffphe
01-08-2013, 07:23 AM
Thanks, i keep reading about people who like White Label and just wanted to talk to someone to make sure. I do have a sizer. But my reloading is in the garage and its freezing. No heater for the Lyman i have. Will a med hard lube work for me?

fryboy
01-08-2013, 07:35 AM
"But my reloading is in the garage and its freezing. No heater for the Lyman i have. Will a med hard lube work for me?"

simply put no sir - nothing works in "freezing" , however a hair dryer or even a shop type clamp lite can be used to warm up a sizer ( an the lube it contains ) warming up the boolits may also help, as for the alox ...try recluse's recipe , make it thin and if need be add two post sizing coats , the JPW helps !!

runfiverun
01-08-2013, 11:49 PM
smiffphe.
you just wrote the description/prescription for smoke.
add some humidity and it gets worse.
another one that smokes bad is W- 231 and hard commercial type parrafin lubes.

btroj
01-09-2013, 10:07 PM
I have had smoke from lube/load combos. Never have thought of it as a big deal. If you are noticing the smoke then you aren't focusing on the sights.

tward
01-09-2013, 10:36 PM
I also size in the cold, tried a 60 watt shop light, better but not great. Finally put the shop light next to the lube sizer and wrapped them in a sheet of aluminum foil waited 30-40 minutes and bingo! Give it a try. Tim
P.S. using carnuba red from White Label Lube.