PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolits and hBN powder (Swiss K-31)

nitrohuck
01-07-2013, 08:02 PM
So,

Pierre from the SwissRifles forum was just helping me out with a little Q&A about hBN and how best to use it for a k31,

The advantages seem excellent, I guess I will write a pros/cons list and you guys can set me straight:

PROS:
- Barrel is practically impervious to moisture/corrosion

- Can switch from jacketed to cast and back again with no issues of copper fouling affecting accuracy, as the barrel will not pick up copper fouling as long as all bullets are hBN coated

- Do not need to lube cast boolits (traditionally speaking), you need only tumble in hBN to coat the boolits, and you are set to seat and shoot them

- Barrel life is effectively doubled for jacketed bullets, for cast boolits god knows how much longer the barrel is kept in shape, certainly a lonnng time

CONS:
- I have no experience with this, and have not heard from any cast boolit shooters besides Pierre that the "no bullet lube" deal is actually dependable for any real accuracy (but when the St. Marie family says something, they seem to have lots of experience backing it up)

Anyone have experience with this? Would be very much interested in hearing what people have to say,

Lastly, why the hell wouldn't everyone be doing this with all their rifles? A single pound of hBN costs $70 but will serve you for more than 300,000 rounds, what is the deal?

nitrohuck
01-08-2013, 09:54 PM
...No one's used hBN?

MtGun44
01-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Not even sure what it is. Boron Nitride? Not familar with it but most of the metal
nitrides are extremely hard ceramics, used for wear coating or abrasives.

Bill

nitrohuck
01-09-2013, 10:45 PM
This might help a little bit to understand...

If Latigo and Pierre are doing it, and they swear by it, then something's gotta be good about this stuff... assists with accuracy but most importantly extends barrel life beyond twice as long according to them

http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard.yuku.com/topic/9031/hBN-again-and-this-time-Ill-leave-it#.UO4rQsXR4WJ

my question really is just who has had any experience with it, if anyone

Bob S
01-10-2013, 11:30 AM
I have not seen any interest from serious HP competitors yet. When moly was all the rage, you used to see it on the line at Perry ... now not many folks use it. I never got on the moly wagon, and I haven't seen anything compelling to make me get on the HBN wagon yet ... but I'm keeping an open mind. :)

Resp'y,
Bob

nitrohuck
01-10-2013, 12:24 PM
I have not seen any interest from serious HP competitors yet. When moly was all the rage, you used to see it on the line at Perry ... now not many folks use it. I never got on the moly wagon, and I haven't seen anything compelling to make me get on the HBN wagon yet ... but I'm keeping an open mind. :)

Resp'y,
Bob

Yeah from what I understand this hBN (my fingers keep trying to type BHN lol) is a much more less messy version of moly,

Most competitive shooters just swap out their barrels when the time comes for a new one, but for those of us with milsurp relic rifles, that can be a bit tough, so this extends barrel life, makes cleaning your bore about as easy as can be, and allows for lead and copper to be shot interchangeably without having to get all the copper out of the bore (since there isn't any copper deposit with a hBN coated bore) ---- that is my paraphrasing from the Swiss Family, from that link I posted above