PDA

View Full Version : is there a Low Smoke Lube out there?

smifffphe
01-07-2013, 08:01 PM
I reload a 40 cal S&W , 185gn round with Unique powder and Lee Liquid Alox. I have a huge puff of black smoke with each shot. Ive been told its the powder and im looking into changing to 231 or Bullseye powder but what lube should i use to reduce this also. Several of my reloading buddies say its the lube. Oh i do have a Lyman 45 lubrisizer now. Help me out?

geargnasher
01-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Bullshop's Lotak or Speed Green, and Randyrat's TAC #1. Take a look around, too, that question was just asked a few days ago here, just a few threads down: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?177617-low-smoke-bullet-lube

Gear

fryboy
01-07-2013, 11:09 PM
powder choice and charge can affect smoking , lube also does ..add a smokey powder to a smokey lube and folks'll think you're shooting black powder ( tho to be fair i have shot some black loads that hardly smoked ) in the lube recipe thread there's also some mention of lube a smokes less than lube z which in turn smokes less than lube q etc , yeah i cant recall all the details , in essence some oils in lube smoke more than others , grease for one seems to smoke more than say coconut oil , gear did offer a couple of good choices in there

leadman
01-08-2013, 02:11 AM
I use Unique and Carnuba Red together and get very little smoke. LBT Blue Soft is also a very low to no smoke lube. Just don't get it on anything you don't want to be blue!