PDA

View Full Version : Excellent score!!

arjacobson
01-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Not 5 minutes ago my oldest son's friend knocked on the door. He asked if I wanted some "Lead" that they were throwing out at his work. He knows I cast bullets and wants me to help him learn how to reload.. We go outside and there is a FULL 5 gallon bucket of linotype/monotype.. AND a box with 50-60lbs of the same material in it. PLUS he gave me the pliers type cutter they use for "slugs" He said they were going to throw it out and didn't care what happened to it just get rid of it!!! I can get a ton of soft lead in the summer from water main joints so this should make some very nice alloy.. Best score I have had in a LONG time

7Acres
01-07-2013, 08:07 PM
Congrats! Fine score indeed. Make good use of it! :Fire:

arjacobson
01-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Will do- I have to check it out a bit better,might be monotype??

runfiverun
01-08-2013, 12:24 AM
some of it might be.
i'd probably just one batch the whole thing.
then mix it up with the soft 1 part to three later and make boolits from that...
or mix that mix with ww's 50-50 for stuff, or add some more soft to that mix...
i'd use whatever i could get the most of somehow.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-08-2013, 01:47 AM
Sweet!

MikeS
01-08-2013, 03:03 AM
A picture of your score would help us all be properly jealous! :) But seriously, if you have both linotype, and monotype in that haul, I wouldn't mix them together. I also wouldn't melt them down to make ingots of them, in case you want to trade some of it, it's best if it's kept in it's original form, unless they're in the 22lb 'pigs', those can be hard to work with. In the form of lines of type, they're small enough that they're easy to deal with as they are, so there's really no reason to make ingots from them. Also some monotype has copper in it, so if you were to want to play with making an alloy with copper in it, the monotype would be a perfect starting point.

Another thing you might want to consider, if the friend just gave it to you, would be either taking him out to a nice dinner, or let your son take him out to dinner (this way your son also gets an incentive to keep on getting the word out there that you're looking for lead).

Any way you look at it, you got a nice haul!

HighHook
01-08-2013, 03:30 AM
A picture of your score would help us all be properly jealous! :)

properly jealous! Good one!