PDA

View Full Version : Bench testing your pistol ?

Hal H
01-07-2013, 06:25 PM
What the best way to test ammo off a bench.

What type of front rest?

Do you rest your arms on sand bags or the bench or shoot unsupportede?

Thanks
Hal

kweidner
01-07-2013, 06:33 PM
I feel it's important to keep everything like you would in field postitions. If I use a bench I rest my forearms on the bag. Actually I am the most consistent seated with my forearms rested on my knees.

cbrick
01-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Most of my revolver load testing is with a Burris 10X using a rifle type rest. Yes, arms on the bench, when testing a gun/load I want as much of me eliminated as I can get. I want to test the gun/load, not me.

Rick

Hal H
01-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Hal

44man
01-08-2013, 09:37 AM
I use a bag near the front of the muzzle and a bag for the butt. It is for load testing not how you hold after all.
Then when loads are found I sight in other ways for hunting. Some of my revolvers hit exactly the same, others need sighted either Creedmore or from my knees. It is the change in barrel rise but it is darn funny my .500 JRH does not need a sight change from bags to off hand. Neither does my .475 but the .44 does.
Work loads with zero sight wobble or shakes, then test from other positions for sight settings.

fecmech
01-08-2013, 11:54 AM
I use a Hard foam rubber rest under the front of the frame and a very full firm sand bag under the butt of the revolver. I squeeze the butt bag after each shot so it is the same consistency for cushioning the recoil otherwise you can get some vertical stringing. Shooting this way( with a dot sight) I get groups as good or better than I got with my Ransom Rest in the past. The most important thing is that the gun must recoil the same for each shot due to the long bullet transit time and gun movement during that transit time. Once you have the accurate load then you may have to tweak the sights for the offhand recoil and muzzle rise.

MtGun44
01-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Reclining with wrists between knees. Shoulders rested on something solid.

Bill

Hal H
01-10-2013, 12:36 AM
Thanks you for the helpful hints.

Hal