PDA

View Full Version : Decapping crimped primers

turmech
01-07-2013, 03:42 PM
This may be a stupid question but how do you decap a crimped boxer primer? Up until now I have never fooled with military brass. The RCBS swager tool I ordered arrive today and the instruction were not clear, to me anyway. I assume I must decap the brass before using it, but there is no mention of decapping first or how to do it. Will regular reloading dies (Lee brand) remove the crimped boxer primers during sizing like normal boxer ones? Or is there a special punch or tool I need. I have heard of using a reamer or cutter to remove, but that would seem to make the use of the RCBS tool I already bought useless.

This is probably me missing the Forrest for the trees type of thing.

oneokie
01-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Same way as you decap commercial boxer primed brass. Lube your cases and run through the full length sizing die. Follow the instructions that came with the RCBS primer pocket swager die set when adjusting the rod or you will bend it. BTDT

If you are not sure about the adjustment, post back here for advice.

Jim
01-07-2013, 03:53 PM
I've F/L sized and decapped a bunch of Lake City brass. By the time I get to the end of the stroke, I can't much pick up the extra effort it takes to push a crimped primer out of the pocket. I've never had any trouble with it.

turmech
01-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks, I was probably just over thinking things.

53caddy
01-07-2013, 07:45 PM
I usually use the lee decapping die. Works awesome.

TKG
01-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Hey Turmech, Do you have a drill press and a Wilson or RCBS deburing tool? Chuck that deburing tool in the drill press with the pointed end sticking down. After you deprime your brass go to your drill press. Get you a coffee can full of brass and another empty can. Stick those deprimed brass up to the deburing tool and cut the crimp out of the primer pocket. It just takes a gentle push up against the deburing tool--hold for 2 seconds or less--and you will be done in no time. I can go through a coffee can full of .223 brass in about 15 minutes. Just remember, you are just taking a shaven off the top edge of that primer cup. If you can see the taper on the edge of the primer cup you are done. Good luck, hope this helps. I have one of the RCBS swedger tools and they do work but this method is much faster for me.

Love Life
01-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Nothing to really add to depriming crimped primers, but which RCBS swaging tool did you get? The one you use with the single stage press or the bench mounted one?

bob208
01-07-2013, 08:17 PM
i use the lee depriming tool. the one where you have a base that the sheel setd on and a punch you put in the shell and drive out the primer with a hammer.

turmech
01-07-2013, 09:54 PM
but which RCBS swaging tool did you get?
the one you use with a press

Although I have not used the tool yet, I think by reading the instructions I have a pretty good idea how it will work. I think I was just surprised the instructions did not even mention decapping first. I thought the tool might come with a decapping punch of some sort or tell you to decapp first.

Then I read little about the lee decapping tool which you use a hammer with (don't even know if they make that anymore). I started second guessing myself.

Love Life
01-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Lee makes a universal decapping die, and your sizing die in your lee set will deprime as well.

I have the same swager you have and it works as it should. One day I'll upgrade...