PDA

View Full Version : Winchester brass

jhalcott
07-06-2007, 10:46 PM
I got a bag of .41 mag brass from Midway yesterday. The primer pockets were to small to seat the primers. I used the reamer that removes the crimp from military brass to open it up enough to seat the primers. I read a post from a guy with 2500 45-70 cases that the pockets were to shallow to seat flush. Is this Q.C. becoming normal for Winchester?

Black_Talon
07-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Is this Q.C. becoming normal for Winchester?

I sure hope not, but I recently had a bad experience with WW brass myself.

I bought some brand new WW 38 Spl brass a few weeks ago and the wall thickness varied from .008" to .012". You could see how off center it was with your naked eyes. I don't know how it ever got past QC. That entire lot is on it's way back to Olin even as we speak.

Hopefully they'll send me some replacement brass that's somewhat concentric.

Dragoon
07-08-2007, 08:39 AM
I've never had a problem with Winchester brass...until lately. The last batch I bought was terrible.

9.3X62AL
07-08-2007, 09:05 AM
This isn't a new development. Winchester brass can be a little uneven in quality. Their 9mm Luger and 9mm Win Mag brass (from the 1990's) had very tight primer pockets, and I quit using it due to this problem. I was stuck with 9 Mag as parent cases for 30 Mauser/7.62 x 25 Tokarev until Starline started making the stuff. A very good thing.

I'm now to the point of using W-W brass when they are the only maker available--25/35, 250 Savage, 30 Luger. Otherwise, I go Starline--Remington in that order. It's easier to pay for Norma brass than to do the gymnastics required to get W-W brass to behave.