PDA

View Full Version : Smelting stove

layusn1
07-06-2007, 08:20 PM
This looks like it might be sturdy for a 50ish pound at a time setup... what do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CAST-IRON-2-BURNER-LP-PROPANE-STOVE-CAMPING-CAMP_W0QQitemZ280129954235QQihZ018QQcategoryZ62117 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ben
07-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Looks like a " low pressure " unit. Might be a little slow with large quantities of wheel weights.

Ben

layusn1
07-06-2007, 09:36 PM
What are you defining as large quantities? I have never been able to scrounge up more than 3/4 of a bucket so to me that is large quantities. Tire shops around here act like used wheel weights are gold. The Chain Stores say they are required to account for their weights and turn them in and the mom and pop stores don't want to give them up for whatever reason. I'm actually to the point of either going to the recycling center to see if they will sell me lead or just buying the stuff of ebay because at least that way I would save time and money not having to buy a smelting setup to begin with, all the propane, the fluxing material, etc.

MGySgt
07-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Go to Harbor Freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/

And search on Burner

You will find all types, I think they even have Turkey Fryers for a reasonable price.

I have one of the single burners from HF that I can melt 120 pounds on (no - not on their cheap potmetal legs).

FWIW

Drew

layusn1
07-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Thats funny, that is exactly where that is coming from. the guy even took the description from their website. Oh well. Might as well give my money to HF. At least then if it craps out there might be some customer service.

yammerschooner
07-07-2007, 04:15 PM
I just threw one of those away Tuesday.

It worked for a year or so, but then I got enough crud down into it that one burner no longer wanted to cooperate. It will do you well if you keep the legs from coming unscrewed. A better option would definitely be an old turkey fryer burner.

jawjaboy
07-07-2007, 05:51 PM
+1 on the turkey fryer burner. Check yard sales and flea markets. I've even seen new ones(burner, regulator and pot) on sale for under $40.

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Chalk up one more on Turkey burners. I bought mine at Cabela's for $59.95 about a year ago after farting around for more than a year with burners, etc. Our friends at OSHA are protecting us by putting a restrictor valve in propane tanks. Fortunately, they did not include the big ones for RVs'. The turkey burner will do over 120lbs at a pop, and doing WWs is just a melt a potful, flux, dip about half out into ingot moulds, and keep adding WWs until you are finished. I can also make up a a hundred pounds of lead and five pounds of tin to mkae 20:1 alloy for my BP rifles.

Rich
DRSS

TAWILDCATT
07-07-2007, 08:25 PM
AgriSupply.com has fryer and 12 quart cast pot for $59.and harbortool is good too.

Lee W
07-08-2007, 06:02 PM
I use an old restaurant stove to melt. If it ever quits, I will get one of these...

http://www.undergrounddigital.com/propaneburners.html

MGySgt
07-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Lee W

Agri Supply has the burners (in their store at least) for lessthen 20 bucks. Build your own Turky Fryer!

Drew