PDA

View Full Version : BPCR Powder Compression Stem

nhrifle
01-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Didn't know if this was the right place to post this, but I wanted to get some feedback from members to see if this was a good idea or not. I have a small machine shop setup and was thinking of offering for sale BPCR powder compression stems for use in the Lee Universal Decapping die or an equivalent. I could offer whatever diameter or length a potential buyer wanted and would make them from hardened tool steel, probably O1. I'm projecting a possible selling price of around $20.

What say all?

OuchHot!
01-07-2013, 04:01 PM
The only catch is Track of the Wolf and other vendors. I don't think that O1 is required for the task at hand but I wish you well with the venture. I bet if you added custom expanders in sizes not addressed by the usual vendors it would be welcome. I know folks with oddball chambers that need expanders just a tidge over what they can get and custom work from the big four is slow and sometimes expensive. Best of luck with the project.

RCE1
01-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Hardened tool steel for a BP compression stem is really overkill. If you need a hardened compression stem, you are trying way too hard. You could make them out of aluminum or even Delrin, for that matter, and put a slight radius to the edge so they don't catch on the mouth of the case and take a chunk out. Ask me how I know...

nhrifle
01-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks guys. If I get this going, I do plan on putting a decent radius on the leading edge (I've wrecked a few cases over the years and still do from time to time). Good thoughts of the requirements for the steel, I usually over engineer what I make and build it to take a bit more than it reasonably will. I was thinking of O1 for the material because it is fairly inexpensive, easy to machine, and I like the surface finish I can get on my parts. Never considered making custom expanders before -- any idea what kind of odd sizes would be of interest?

Like I said, I am still kicking this idea about to see if it is worth pursuing. The compression stem is only a start of what I could do, and I would really like to give something back to the members here as I have gotten a wealth of information from this forum. I love tinkering and welcome any ideas for things that might make a shooter's of reloader's life easier.

OuchHot!
01-08-2013, 03:29 PM
For expanders, it seems that the commercially available .45 cal are scarce above .458 or so. There are quite a few trapdoors and even sharps with considerably larger requirements. I can say for sure that the same thing is seen in .38 cal. You might post a question on bpcr.net to see what more knowledgeble types have to say. I bet there is a market in the .32 cals as well. Maybe it could be combined with a neck die with interchangable inserts. The lyman "m" die has utility but is available in only limited sizes, maybe there is a market there as well. It might be worthwhile to look at the "powder thru" type expander plugs used in lee powder thru dies and hornady lock n load powder dispensers. That is a small part that needs to have just the right bell and expander section.