PDA

View Full Version : Fluxing with Saw Dust

fordfan
01-06-2013, 09:49 PM
what is the best method for doing this, meaning do it before removing the copper jackets or clips from ww or after this stuff is removed. In general what i'm asking is what do you do and how. And how much saw dust do you add? thanks

Alan in Vermont
01-06-2013, 10:09 PM
I like to flux once before I scoop out jackets, I think it helps the lead seperate from the jackets more effectively. I sometimes add a pretty good lump of parrafin and light off the vapors, it helps burn the sawdust down to carbon and heat the stuff on the top that last little bit it needs to melt out clean. I also flux and clean a couple times more before I start ladling out to make ingots.

Boolseye
01-07-2013, 06:44 PM
When I'm smelting, I add handfuls of sawdust to the melt, but not until it's mostly melted down and I have removed the rocks, clips and other detritus. With casting I just throw a small handful in there, mix it in and let it sit on the top throughout the session.
They say it helps keep the tin from oxidizing out or something.

Nose Dive
01-07-2013, 09:39 PM
When smelting Wheel weights... I throw a hand full in when I first see liquid. Mix well and just before I start to remove clips I do it again. Mix and begin scrapping clips after the smoke clears. Once all clips and debris is out...I do it all over again. Mix and scrape bottom and sides well. Then I pop in a handful or two of sulphur and mix well. Once that is done...yep... reflux on more time with a handful of sawdust. That's it....

Nose Dive.

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

YunGun
01-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Given that sawdust is FREE, I flux with it frequently; before/during/after removing jackets, rocks, clips, etc.
While casting, I throw some on every time I re-add ingots, & let it smolder while I let the pot come back up to temp (like I'm doing right now! [smilie=1:). Once the pot is back up to temp & I'm ready to resume casting, I skim it, then cast away....
Once the pot starts getting low or I need to take a break, throw in another ingot or two & another handful of sawdust.....

..."Thus, the advantage of sawdust is that it does both jobs, returning the tin to the melt and removing the problematic impurities. Sawdust has the added benefit of being free." Glen Fryxell - From 'The "Simple" Act Of Fluxing' (http://www.lasc.us/FryxellFluxing.htm)