PDA

View Full Version : Lube ???

kb7tgr
01-06-2013, 07:13 PM
I am a CAS shooter. I shoot 38's and am pretty new to casting. I have been using carnuba red. The barrel stays CLEAN but I get a fair amount of lead in the small portion of the cylinder. Is this normal or is there something I can do.

thanx

geargnasher
01-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Try shooting bigger boolits that are a closer fit in the cylinder throats, and perhaps try a softer alloy. I doubt it's a lube problem, no lube will prevent lead building up where there's bad gas leaks and gas abrasion of the boolit.

Gear

Larry Gibson
01-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Try a softer alloy as gear suggests. Also a softer lube such as BAC might be better suited for CAS level shooting. It's what I mostly use for my CAS level loads and I get no leading in rifle or revolver.

Larry Gibson

runfiverun
01-07-2013, 12:58 AM
the whole time i shot cas i used the magma engineering lube [such as it is]
and 10-11 bhn boolts,and fast powders like clays.
never had a leading problem.

i would do a real close look at the cylinder mouths where the leading is happening i have a feeling it's gun related not anything else.
unless you are using a lee fcd die,or a dillon size die or something like that.

kb7tgr
01-07-2013, 01:16 AM
I am using dillon dies. How would that contribute.

runfiverun
01-07-2013, 02:45 AM
they seem to size the cases down more than other brands of dies.
they can squish the boolits down where the powder funell doesn't reach.
and often the funell doesn't open the case much, which gives you about 4 thousandths tension in that area and more below that.
this can size the boolits down.
i have a couple of sets of dillon 45 colt dies and use a lee on my 650 because it sizes the cases a little less.
i also use a lee carbide die on my 550 with the 9 and 357 die sets because of the same thing.