PDA

View Full Version : Yellow material in melt?

DeadWoodDan
01-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Thought i would try my Lee 405gr HB mold today casting for my Springfield Trapdoor. Was curious what issues i would have if i added to much Tin to the alloy? Looked away for two seconds and my Tin ingot got away from me and i put more in than i intended. Also i had to run the Lee 10lb pot as hot as it would go for boolits to drop without wrinkles. After dropping 50+ boolits a yellow material started to appear. It really stuck to the ladle. curious if it was because i was running it so hot and what it is? Thermometer will be here this week so will try again and report temp.

Thanks
DWD

Gliden07
01-06-2013, 07:27 PM
I never had this happen to me but from some of the descriptions I've read, and if you cast from Wheel Weights maybe you got some Zinc into the melt?? All the descriptions say it looks like Oatmeal when it melts and it takes a higher temp to melt it! I'm sure someone will chime in?

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Looks like kitty barf to me, wish I was more help

zuke
01-06-2013, 07:54 PM
That's lead oxide,formed when your lead get's too hot.
Don't breath it in,and scoop carefully to keep dust down.
How was your mold fill out at that temp?

runfiverun
01-06-2013, 08:54 PM
yep. lead oxide is a yellow/orange dust.
the gold colored other stuff is tin oxide.
the blue/purple is from the lead.
your heat is a bit high on the pot.
the wrinkles is/are from the MOLD being too cold.

saint_iverson
01-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Looks like hops in the boil from when I brew beer!

DeadWoodDan
01-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Mold was casting fine, couldn't get rid of wrinkling boolits until i cranked the heat up.

That's lead oxide,formed when your lead get's too hot.
Don't breath it in,and scoop carefully to keep dust down.
How was your mold fill out at that temp?

DeadWoodDan
01-06-2013, 09:35 PM
I cast more than 20 and kept getting nice shinny wrinkly boolits, turned heat down just two marks and melt started solidifying. Then i thought i didn't get mold clean so i gave it a dawn dish bath and re smoked the cavity. Still wrinkly boolits, so i cranked the heat up and started getting nice fill out. will try again with lower heat.

Thanks

yep. lead oxide is a yellow/orange dust.
the gold colored other stuff is tin oxide.
the blue/purple is from the lead.
your heat is a bit high on the pot.
the wrinkles is/are from the MOLD being too cold.

Alan in Vermont
01-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Flux with sawdust, let it char and stir in in thoroughly. Be sure to let it char well before you stir it in, stirring damp sawdust into the pot is an invitation for the tinsel fairy to come visit you.

runfiverun
01-07-2013, 01:08 AM
turning the heat up heated the mold up.
heat the mold up
heat the mold up.
flux.
heat the mold up.
don't smoke the mold, it causes oils to get into the cavity's and causes wrinkles.
then heat the mold up.

geargnasher
01-07-2013, 01:13 AM
Mold was casting fine, couldn't get rid of wrinkling boolits until i cranked the heat up.

I cast more than 20 and kept getting nice shinny wrinkly boolits, turned heat down just two marks and melt started solidifying. Then i thought i didn't get mold clean so i gave it a dawn dish bath and re smoked the cavity. Still wrinkly boolits, so i cranked the heat up and started getting nice fill out. will try again with lower heat.

Thanks

You still don't savvy. Read what Runfiverun told you again, very carefully.

Gear

shadygrady
01-07-2013, 12:21 PM
send that zinc to me for lead