PDA

View Full Version : The little things

kbstenberg
01-06-2013, 09:41 AM
What are the little things you do to increase the quality of your loads? I have seen a list that shows 13 steps to reloading ammunition. Do you have a half step that helps your loads.
In the 49th edition of the Lyman Reloading handbook page 22 it lists 13 steps to reloading
A. Selection of load and comp.
B. Case inspection
C. Case cleaning
D. Inside neck cleaning
E. Case lubrication
F.Case resizing/ primer removal
G.Lube removal
H.Case length measuring
I.Case trimming/ de-burring
J. Seat new primer
K. Powder weighing/ charging
L. Bullet seating
M. final inspection
On top of those steps we as casters would have to add all of the steps in casting our bullets/ Lubing- sizing. The more I think about it the more steps I keep adding

Jack Stanley
01-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Bullet seating and crimping in separate steps and only using the amount of crimp needed to do the job at hand . Sometimes all that is required is to simply close the "bell" from the expander die so the neck is a cylinder again .

Jack

Bwana
01-06-2013, 11:46 AM
I reload all my rifle rounds using the index method. This is easy for me as all my work is done on Rock Chuckers and Lee hand presses. This is done by sizing and seating all the rounds in the same position in the dies. This is accomplished by marking the cases in the same spot (in my case in the middle of the manufacture name) on the side of the case head. This mark is used to index the rounds. It is also used to index the round when fired in the gun.
I also check each rifle round for runout by rolling them across the top of my dining room table with the horizontal slats of the blinds in the background. They are sorted according to amount of wobble in the bullet tip. It's a poor man's way of doing it; but it works.

**oneshot**
01-06-2013, 05:11 PM
boolit inspection and weight sorting. neck sizing for everything you can.