PDA

View Full Version : Ruger m77 fore end pressure shim

hd09
01-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Hey all, I am new to the forum need some info. I have a early 80's m77 .270 that I figured out needs some pressure at the end of the stock. Went to the range and was shooting 2'' groups, then folded over a business card and put between fore end of stock and barrel, the groups went to 1''. I have read where around 5# pressure is what some guns like, not sure how you measure that. Would like to know what is the best way to permenatly shim. Thanks for any help.

fouronesix
01-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Good point and often overlooked. Has been tried off and on with some factory stocks by different makers. Older Win 70s had the forend screw for same purpose and added adjustable supporting pins in their 52D 22 so the pressure/ support could be adjusted or tuned, etc. Then the free float idea came along, so manufacturers have been all over the place.

The issues with variable forend pressure include: wood changes with the environment and age so the pressure can change over time and the point of the pressure on the barrel for best result is variable because the harmonic vibration nodes of each barrel and load are different.
So in the end, it is trial and error and can change over time because of the nature of wood.

I've had some success with some rifles by adding a short "saddle" of bedding compound near the end of the forend. I add very thin paper shims to all the receiver bedding points. Pour the bedding compound saddle in the forend where I "think" it should be. Put the barreled action back in the stock and turn down the action screws to the torque they are normally set to and let the compound set up. Remove the barreled action. Remove the shims, re-assemble then shoot and see. Some I know use a dense rubber type shim or saddle, thinking that type material tends to deaden vibration while adding barrel up pressure. I've found it really is both an art and science that relies on luck and/or a lot of trial and error. But I do think in some cases it may have potential for long term accuracy improvement especially with synthetic stocks but an unknown for wood stocks. And of course sometimes a properly bedded action along with a fully free floated barrel does best.

hd09
01-07-2013, 07:24 AM
Thanks Fouronesix that makes alot of sense, I might try that. Thanks