PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Ivan and hello Mr. Muj

Love Life
01-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Now that I have vanquished our cold war era enemy Ivan (shot at 300-600 yds with a 308) it was time for a real rifle target. So I ordered an echo target rated for rifles. Once it showed up I bestowed a more current enemy name upon my new adversary. Mr Muj (short for Mujahedeen).

Mr. Muj weighs 63 pounds and the stand is another 20 pounds, but back to the story. I took advantage of a wind free day here in Nevada and headed to the range. I set Mr. Muj up at 300 yards and proceeded to engage. 46 shots fired with 46 direct hits in a 6 inch area between the head and chest. Not a single dimple to be seen!!! Then I let a guy shooting an armalite 30 in 300 winmag take a few shots. Not a dimple to be seen there!! It looks like Mr Muj will stand the test of time. The yellow side I painted once I got home after realizing a white target in the snow could be hard to pick up...luckily I had painted a 4 inch red circle on the chest and a "T" box on the head. All I need to add now are pelvis boxes to both sides, and red target zones to the yellow side and I'll be set.

I got to shoot the armalite and with the muzzle brake it had it had less recoil than my 15 lb 308.

All in all a great trip to the range!! How was everybody else's day?

runfiverun
01-05-2013, 08:59 PM
i have the ar-30 in 308.
it recoils less than the m-15 with varmint loads.
kinda like a disturbance in the scope with 150 gr fmj ammo.
you don't wanna be to the side of the shooter though.

Love Life
01-05-2013, 09:03 PM
I hear you. The muzzle blast kept knocking snow off of the range cover. Sure was sweet though.

Mal Paso
01-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Great day! I got up to the Range Office window, checked in, got my target as usual then the RO handed me a custom S&W Model 27, a box of ammo and told to come back to the office if I needed more ammo. I got to my bench and asked my buddy "Did everyone get one of these?" holding up the 27.
Someone had put a lot of work into the gun. It had a Patridge front sight and the top strap was fully checkered absorbing all stray light. The rifling was shallow but crisp and it had what appeared to be a 5* forcing cone. The RO had not been happy with the performance of the gun. The American Eagle .357" RN ammo was less than spectacular. I borrowed some of BLT's .360" wadcutters and groups tightened up quite a bit. I would have liked to have my gauges but it could be a shooter with the right ammo. The RO thanked us (like he hadn't given us a new toy for the afternoon). And we may make a caster out of him yet.