PDA

View Full Version : NW maple syrup

quilbilly
01-05-2013, 02:51 PM
I tapped my first three maple trees of the season three days ago and will be harvesting sap today. As soon as I get 2-1/2 gallons, it will be time to make syrup. I can't wait! Out here in the PacNW we tap our maples earlier than in the NE and the sap runs for at east ten weeks. The problem is the sap only runs really well when we have a sunny day (one day a week if we are lucky). Hope to tap another six trees before the next sunny day. No offense to my NE friends but our syrup is better. Our alder trees can be tapped too but they don't pump out as much sap.

fatboy
01-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Good on ya quilbilly, i have been wanting to try to tap the Box Elder trees we have here. i have read they are related to the maple but it takes twice as much sap to make the syrup. of course they put out alot of sap also just the volume to handle is more work. hope it all turns out!!

Bad Water Bill
01-06-2013, 12:07 AM
From what I remember talking with the owner of THE SUGAR BUSH it takes about 100 gal of sap to produce 1 gal of quality syrup.

That might explain why real pure maple syrup is a little pricey.

quilbilly
01-06-2013, 02:20 PM
2-1/2 gallons of sap makes about one 8 oz canning jar of the best syrup you have ever tasted. I do like my syrup a bit thinner, however, so that it soaks into the waffles better. I couldn't believe that one tree produced almost three quarts of sap while the one next to it produced one quart and the third produced zero. It all depends on how much sun thge tree gets and the size of the tree's crown. Smaller (8-12") trees produce better while the big ones (30" plus) don't hardly produce at all.

scottiemom
01-06-2013, 08:35 PM
if you ever need a taste-tester, I would happily volunteer!!

Beerd
01-08-2013, 06:32 PM
I found that maple trees run best when the night time temperatures fall below freezing and the day time temps went above freezing. Early spring before the leaves bud out. Sunshine helps also. The average from the sugar maples I tapped was something like 50 to 1, sap to syrup. Boil one batch at a time for best quality syrup, don't add fresh sap to a partly evaporated pan.

Box elder is in the maple family, the leaves are different but compare the seeds. I'll bet you'd have to boil down a [U]lot[U] of sap. Wonder how the taste would be?

quilbilly
01-09-2013, 02:32 PM
When it is cloudy here, no matter what the temp this time of year, I don't even have to go out and check the buckets but as soon as the sun come out, even a couple hours, it is time to get busy. Up on Vancouver Island, farmers do this on a small scale commercially for local stores

reloader28
01-10-2013, 02:22 AM
A friend came out from Wis last year and brought some fresh maple syrup for us straight from the boiler.
My word, there is NOTHING better.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-11-2013, 11:27 AM
I found that maple trees run best when the night time temperatures fall below freezing and the day time temps went above freezing. Early spring before the leaves bud out. Sunshine helps also.
Beerd,
That's been my experience.
In MN, I usually tap in 2nd week of March...it all depends on the weather. I have a couple Large Maple trees in my neighborhood, They will start running during a warm spell where the daytime temps are above 32º. I use a triple tap (three taps that are connected to by polytube, then to a 5 gallon bucket) on each tree. At the peak of the run, each tree will provide about 4 gallons in the late evening and 1 gallon in the morning, So I have to tend the buckets twice a day.
when I cook the sap down, It's about 32 to 1...but I like my syrup a little thin...If I were to cook it down to industry standard, I sure it's more like 40 or 50 to 1.

My buddy taps Box Elder Trees (Maple's Ugly cousin). Honestly, I can't taste the difference, but I think he has to cook it down more, like 75 to 1...maybe more ?
Jon

Bad Water Bill
01-11-2013, 11:43 AM
You guys are ? me. I have 3 Silver Maple trees by my house that are about 50 years old.

How much syrup have I missed out on over the past 40 years?

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-11-2013, 11:50 PM
You guys are ? me. I have 3 Silver Maple trees by my house that are about 50 years old.

How much syrup have I missed out on over the past 40 years?
I get 4 to 6 qt's a year from each of the two large Maples I tap with the triple taps...they are in the 40 to 60 yr old range.

Bad Water Bill
01-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Looks like I will be dragging out the smelter and putting a nice new SS pot on top.

At the price of syrup today it will not take to long for the equipment to be paid for.:bigsmyl2:

338RemUltraMag
01-14-2013, 03:08 AM
This is cool, I have always wanted to see it made, may have to find a tree round here somewhere.

quilbilly
01-14-2013, 01:46 PM
An average 10" maple that gets a few hours of sun each day here will produce about 2 gallons of sap per season out of one tap. On our property I have many 24" plus maples and none of them have produced more than a couple quarts. I haven't figured out why. After logging to build the house, I was left with several large maple stumps that now have many saplings growing from them. I am now thinning the saplings to 2 or three to direct the flow of sap from the mature root system into just three stems to maximize sap when they are big enough in a couple years. The stems from the oldest maple stump are now my best producers even though they are only about 8" diam.

quilbilly
01-18-2013, 12:36 AM
I just got a phone call from an old friend on the other side of Puget Sound who I turned on to maple tapping last year. He asked how far down to reduce the sap to make syrup. He has sun at his house and four taps in his trees. He got five gallons of sap in the last 24 hours. I am green with envy. No sun here.

quilbilly
02-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Update - After four weeks my first trees started shutting down so I pulled most of the taps and put them in new trees. They are producing nicely.

fatnhappy
02-10-2013, 01:28 AM
A friend came out from Wis last year and brought some fresh maple syrup for us straight from the boiler.
My word, there is NOTHING better.

aye..

quilbilly
02-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Yesterday evening we put a little fresh maple syrup in some brandy with a little sweet vermouth. MMMMM good. Might just call it a Quilbilly warmer. recipe - 1-1/2 oz brandy, 1 tbsp syrup,1 tsp sweet vermouth, dash of bitters.

Bad Water Bill
02-11-2013, 02:20 AM
There you go ruining great PURE MAPLE SYRUP.:)

Col4570
02-12-2013, 06:34 AM
Today here in the UK it is shrove tuesday (Pancake day).worked in the USA in 1974 for 6 months,I got a taste for maple Syrup so I always have a bottle handy.Traditionaly here they are served with a sprinkle of sugar and a squeeze of Lemon or Orange.Golden Syrup is another favourite.I like mine savoury with Bacon and eggs but will eat them separate with syrup.

Col4570
02-12-2013, 06:39 AM
http://www.historic-uk.com/

waksupi
02-12-2013, 06:02 PM
http://voices.yahoo.com/hot-stone-boiling-maple-sap-syrup-theory-basis-11584864.html?cat=37

Some of you may find this of interest. It is one of my friends pages, who does Museum interpretation.

Jessica at work.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/426133_367489530024572_389405270_n.jpg

quilbilly
02-13-2013, 01:36 AM
I think I will ask some of my friends in the Makah Tribe if they made use of our local maples for sugar or syrup. They have always made beautiful watertight baskets.

legend
02-21-2013, 06:58 PM
eat your hearts out, i was born and raised in VERMONT ! the home of REAL maple syrup, others try to match but are not even close ! good? i am sure they are, just not AS good.
i have a hunting friend in mi that makes some mighty fine syrup though.

frkelly74
02-21-2013, 07:10 PM
On the news a couple of nights ago was a story about a woman tapping trees and boiling sap and durned if the narcotics police didn't show up to see what she was doing. She nicely explained the whole process and they went away. It was on the news.

I thought the best syrup came from Vermontville Mi.

Bulldogger
02-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Very interesting read, thank-you!
BDGR

http://voices.yahoo.com/hot-stone-boiling-maple-sap-syrup-theory-basis-11584864.html?cat=37

Some of you may find this of interest. It is one of my friends pages, who does Museum interpretation.

Jessica at work.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/426133_367489530024572_389405270_n.jpg

longshot1154
02-24-2013, 11:00 PM
legend, I'll second you on the Vermont Maple Syrup. Born, raised and still live in Vermont. I will tell you though, the flatlanders can have the Grade A fancy to bring back with them, I'll stick with the Grade B.