PDA

View Full Version : So I am Talking to a Moving Company Yesteday

Beau Cassidy
01-05-2013, 11:51 AM
I have to move again.... Grrrrr.

So I have three moving companies come out and give me estimates on how much it will cost to move. The last guy who comes out has been doing this a long time. He looks at my stacks of ammo and tells me- and I can't remember the exact specifics or everything he told me- more than two storage units with ammo or more than 2 firearms, he had to report it to the Department of Homeland Security. Specifically, he had to supply them with a copy of the shipping manifest. He said he didn't see any ammo in my storage units but did see a lot of "plastic boxes". He was real cool about everything. Just a heads up to fly under the radar.

migtek02
01-05-2013, 12:22 PM
So... If I hire a moving company have 3 kids each with a tacht-evil looking .22 plus my own,the wife's AR and healthy supply of ammo. Then guy is to inventory and report to the Gvm't?
That's what we get for electing the morons in office.

Hamish
01-05-2013, 12:36 PM
"Meet the New Boss" (O), "Same as the Old Boss" (Mao, Hitler, ad nauseum)

Thanks for the heads up sir.

Artful
01-05-2013, 12:37 PM
was this going by Rail or Sea?

375RUGER
01-05-2013, 01:31 PM
ammo maybe, but I'd never let a moving co touch the guns. My Dad was in military service for over 30 years, we always moved the guns ourself.

Beau Cassidy
01-05-2013, 02:21 PM
This was by Atlas Van Lines. Local. He specifically mentioned 2 guns. He mentioned powder but I don't remember everything he said. He said he never saw powder or ammo- just plastic boxes. Welcome to the tentacles of TSA and DHS.

WILCO
01-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Welcome to the tentacles of TSA and DHS.

Keep an eye on them. They'll be doing more and more.

Tonto
01-05-2013, 02:33 PM
My last move I was told the movers wouldn't move ammunition but guns were fine. I said thanks and boxed the ammo and moved the guns myself. They were more squirrelly about aerosols and anything flammable. The actual folks who did the work were much more reasonable. Reporting to DHS is getting spooky. Judging by the idiots at the airports, that's the last bunch to be trusted doing anything.

SP5315
01-05-2013, 04:30 PM
I had to get bids on recent move from California to Nevada. None of the movers would touch the ammunition that I have. I ended up with Atlas Van Lines. They also told me I would have to have the firearms inventoried and reported. I ended up making three trips and storing the ammunition in my brother's Conex container. and on moving day moved the firearms myself. I'm kind of glad I did move the high value items myself, the men who did the packing and unpacking looked like your typical parolees. Watch'em close and get the extra insurance, things will get broke.

williamwaco
01-08-2013, 11:23 PM
DO NOT allow the mover to move your guns. Take them in your car or truck. Even if it takes two trips.

50% of the people I know who have had guns stolen were stolen by the movers.

I have moved many times, ( more than 12 ) and I don't even tell the mover I have any guns.
I put them in my car while it is in the garage. transport them to the new location ( After the movers have unloaded and gone) then back the car into the new garage and unload them.

Lloyd Smale
01-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Ive had told him to empty the truck and get out of my driveway and called around till i found a more gun friendly moving company.

41 mag fan
01-09-2013, 07:51 AM
DO NOT allow the mover to move your guns. Take them in your car or truck. Even if it takes two trips.

50% of the people I know who have had guns stolen were stolen by the movers.

I have moved many times, ( more than 12 ) and I don't even tell the mover I have any guns.
I put them in my car while it is in the garage. transport them to the new location ( After the movers have unloaded and gone) then back the car into the new garage and unload them.

William is right on this issue. My fathers moved twice in 3 yrs now, left this morning actually to go back to Wy, and get out of the Communist state of Il.
We moved his guns the first time, from Wy back to God aweful Il. Sunday we wiped, put in soft cases and put in his Enclave all his rifles, then put his pistols in tubs in his truck.
but we did it in his garage, noone seen us loading them up, then it went to my aunts and put in her garage till the mover were done yesterday.
When he gets out there, he's got a room built in the house he bought, that can be pad locked and dead bolted. he'll have them in it before the movers get there.

The sub contractor who did the boxing up, were pretty cool. The girl who ran the show told dad, it's best he took his guns, just because of thefts from moving companies, and how his stuff might be put in storage a time or so till trucks came thru going out there

Beau Cassidy
01-09-2013, 09:04 AM
The mover who told me all of the info was very cool about everything. Out of the 3 estimates I got the last one (Allied) was the only guy who volunteered the info about having to report what he was moving. I don't plan on having him move my toys. Also, I would not have a moving company from my new location come to where I am to move me. I would have a company where I am at now move me to the new location 5 hours away. That way they are not local to the area I would be moving to and less likely to come back. When they see all of the lead and bullets they also obviously know what is associated with that. I tend to be very private in what I have and intend to keep it that way.

winelover
01-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Just recently moved from Michigan to Arkansas (13 hour drive). We interviewed all of the big moving companies. All would move firearms, none would move ammo, powder, aerosols or anything flammable. If there is a loss, you can bet their insurance carrier will do everything in it's power to find a loop-hole to get out from under the claim. So I wouldn't take a chance on contraband.

We used North American Van Lines. They did a fantastic job. No loss and only some minor scratches on a few pieces of furniture. With any moving company, the quality of the move is determined by the driver and his crew. It's pure luck on who your assigned.

We were lucky. Our driver worked and supervised his crew. They did the loading as well as the unloading. He did have to hire another worker from a local moving company in Arkansas. His comment was he never seen a van packed so carefully in all the years he worked as a mover.

That being said, my wife and I moved all firearms, ammo, powder, primers, lead, aerosols and the like. We did two trips, each driving full size vans. (I own two Chevy Express) I contemplated renting a U-haul but the same rules apply and none but the biggest vans have cruise control. In my case, it was cheaper and faster to do it with the vehicles I owned, even though two trips were required. Drove straight through so no motel costs were incurred and no chance for theft of vehicles and or contents.

Winelover

Guesser
01-09-2013, 11:12 AM
I moved to a different state in '08, I was advised by the local agent of United Van Lines, unofficially of course, that it would be best if he and his crew did not have to inventory my firearms and ammunition. The safes were not a problem for him and all my casting alloy and raw boolits were fine. Powder and primers he did not want to see or hear about. No problem, I took care of it as he unofficially suggested.

captaint
01-09-2013, 12:19 PM
There's just no way a moving company would even see my guns, or any of my "good stuff". Wouldn't happen. Mike

Lizard333
01-09-2013, 12:53 PM
There's just no way a moving company would even see my guns, or any of my "good stuff". Wouldn't happen. Mike

I agree. I don't even like strangers/contractors in my house. Even if they are not a thief, who knows who they talk to. Call me paranoid.

Larry Gibson
01-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Had the same response from moves in my recent move to AZ from WA; firearms, ammo, powder, primers in the quanity I had would require reports to Homeland security and hazmat permits. The amount of lead would have been expensive weight wise. I ended up with a Uhaul trailer and moved all my own firearms, ammo, powder, primers, other components and lead myself.

Only getting worse as the Obama regs kick in. Thankfully that was my last move.

Larry Gibson

Beau Cassidy
01-09-2013, 09:47 PM
North American moved all of the ammo without a problem in 2011 so they probably put it down as something else on the waybill. The Allied guy here understood my guy stuff and told me a milk crate of ammo is listed as a plastic box. An empty gas can (of which I have probably 40 after getting ready for Katrina) would be listed as a plastic jug, etc. I have too much lead/loaded ammo to safely pull in a U-Haul. I don't want to put that much weight behind my wore out F-350. I did it once and it was hell going over the mountains. The trailer was on its axles before I even got half my lead on the trailer.

edler7
01-09-2013, 10:31 PM
I moved with North American in October. They wouldn't haul any ammo, powder, primers or guns- that was fine with me...I wasn't going to let them haul the guns anyway. Got it all loaded in the car, but the back end was kind of low by the time all the ammo got in there. They also wouldn't haul any solvent based cleaners, solvents, spray paint....the list went on and on. Glad some of the boxes were marked rather "generally", like GARAGE. I got them back by having them load the lead and WW stash. [smilie=1:

On the down side, they managed to break a footboard off an 1890's bedroom set before they even got it on the truck. No problems they tell me, it's covered by their claims policy. Welllll....the claims policy was 1) replace 2) repair or 3) 60 cents a pound which ever is LESS ! Yes, I got a whopping $54 to put towards the $1200 repair by an antique restorer.

I don't think North American will get any more of my business.

dnepr
01-09-2013, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't let a mover move my guns . I recently moved fortunately it is about a 16 mile move and I still own the old house so it has been at my convienance , I did go through a ride check with about a half dozen guns in travel cases in the back of the pickup , That raised the eyebrow from the cop and a warning to lock the guns in the truck if I stopped anywhere . I have also decided I am not moving that much ammo again . If/when I move again , I am inviting my buddies out and we are shooting it all up !!:-D

winelover
01-10-2013, 08:39 AM
I moved with North American in October.

On the down side, they managed to break a footboard off an 1890's bedroom set before they even got it on the truck. No problems they tell me, it's covered by their claims policy. Welllll....the claims policy was 1) replace 2) repair or 3) 60 cents a pound which ever is LESS ! Yes, I got a whopping $54 to put towards the $1200 repair by an antique restorer.

I don't think North American will get any more of my business.

That's because you opted for the basic insurance, required by law. Also by law, they were required to offer you additional coverage that you had to sign-off on!

Be that as it may, all moving companies are basically the same. Their only as good as their drivers.

The minor scratches that incurred during my move resulted in a check for $330 that I pocketed and repaired myself. After we made the claim, a local furniture re-finisher came to our home for a cost estimate. North American used this as a basis for the claim. I'm happy, their happy.

Winelover :coffeecom

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Wait, you mean people pay other people to move their stuff?
I must be doing it wrong

TJF1
01-10-2013, 12:15 PM
I must be doing something wrong i have only moved
twice in 74 years and did it myself.
Terry

Beau Cassidy
01-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Jim I almost got a chance to move all of this up your way to Hamilton but the job didn't work out. You are more than welcome to come help. All I ask is you move this pile. I can handle the rest...

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/OrthoNP/2012-12-15_12-46-46_843.jpg

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/OrthoNP/2012-12-15_12-55-42_88.jpg

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/OrthoNP/2012-12-15_12-46-52_813.jpg

I don't like the idea of someone else handling my stuff but it is being paid for by my potential employer and where I am at now I don't have any help.

badgeredd
01-10-2013, 01:08 PM
I wonder what Homeland Security does with the manifests with firearms. Considering Biden's comment on the news last night about using Executive Orders to control firearms, I'd think a fellow would be prudent to not let anyone unnecesarily know of his stash. I'm thinking that one would be on an unofficial official list if he had a fairly large number of firearms. I personally know of individuals with way over 50 firearms. In the current political climate, I think it is a good idea to keep one's quantity to oneself.

Edd

Springfield
01-10-2013, 01:57 PM
There are LOTS of guys who own more than 50. My wife found that out one time after we helped run a Friends of the NRA dinner. We were sitting around after just talking and she mentioned that I had too many guns, maybe 25! Some of the guys just laughed a bit and she said, what's so funny? One of the guys said he had 25....45 autos. Another said he had at least 25....Garands. And another said he collected 1903 Springfields but had lost count. They told here I had a good start. She asked them if they had any other guns besides the one they specifically collected, and they said of course! She didn't bug me too much about guns after that. Now she has a few of her own so all is good. I hope I never move again, hate to have to move guns and ammo and lead and casting gear and all the tools I have bought over the last 50 years.

264 Win Mag
01-10-2013, 02:45 PM
My last move I was told the movers wouldn't move ammunition but guns were fine.
I am retired Air Force and my last two movers told me the same thing. I wasn't about to let anybody touch or store my guns who knows where. I told them no thanks and it was all out of the house before they showed up to pack. Never had anybody say anything about reporting it though.

Thomas

sundog
01-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Edd, I'm sure that ALL of us here are already on the 'list'...

In fact, I would not be at all surprised if NICS checks are being retained in a permanent database, even though they are not supposed to be. Congress got onto the FBI years ago for that. Makes me wonder if anyone is watching.

Beau Cassidy
01-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Komrad, you can bet your weinerschnitzel that everything called in for "approval" from the SS is logged for future reference.