PDA

View Full Version : has anyone tried wolf primers?

Lloyd Smale
07-06-2007, 04:48 AM
Im just wondering what you thought. How hard were the cups? I need reliable ignition in my ppc gun with small pistol and need to know how warm the lg pistol mags are in comparison to feds and ccis.

USARO4
07-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Lloyd I cant help you with Wolf primers but I have tried the new Magtechs and am favorably impressed with them. I have wrote thread on them and would link you to it but I dont know how. They are much cheaper than Winchester but have a slight size differance.

felix
07-06-2007, 09:02 AM
USAR, which one is bigger in length (by feel), bigger in width (by feel)? Actual dimensions are not important unless way excessive. We are talking cup metal characteristics for the most part. ... felix

Boz330
07-06-2007, 09:02 AM
A buddy of mine tried them in a BPCR and wasn't to impressed. Got a lot of vertical stringing. Don't know if that would relate to what you are doing. He didn't say if they seemed soft.

Bob

USARO4
07-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Felix, Magtechs are shorter and fatter. WSP= .121" height, .175" diameter. Magtechs= .118" height, .1755" diameter. So they seat a little deeper and take slightly more pressure to seat. I was concerned about the seating depth but they fired good using a Uberti SA clone with a fixed firing pin. I have no way of measuring the softness of the primer other than looking at the fired cup. If I was to guess I would say they are softer than WSP. They are substantially cheaper than WSP at $17.99 per K versus $24.99.

broomhandle
07-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Hi Guys,

I have not seen Wolf primers in this area yet.

I have used both large & small primers from Magtec. They worked as well as any other primers I have in stock.

I do have a bad case of primer sticker shock!

Be safe,
broomhandle

Blammer
07-06-2007, 10:58 AM
wideners has them.

rbstern
07-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Felix, Magtechs are shorter and fatter. WSP= .121" height, .175" diameter. Magtechs= .118" height, .1755" diameter. So they seat a little deeper and take slightly more pressure to seat. I was concerned about the seating depth but they fired good using a Uberti SA clone with a fixed firing pin. I have no way of measuring the softness of the primer other than looking at the fired cup. If I was to guess I would say they are softer than WSP. They are substantially cheaper than WSP at $17.99 per K versus $24.99.

I switched to Magtech when Midway started carrying them. Found they seated a lot more consistently than the Remingtons I had been using. Have not had any trouble with misfires in about 1000 rounds to date.

I wonder if the Wolf primers are Prvi Partisan made, like the Wolf Gold line. It sure is hard to tell who makes what these days.

3sixbits
07-07-2007, 10:08 AM
I can not use Remington primers in my Dillion RL 1000 presses as the anvils are to high and give nothing but trouble. I look forward to trying the Russian primer.

I just hope someone will bring them into Alaska.

felix
07-07-2007, 10:13 AM
I agree. The only problem with remington primers is that the cases must have deep pockets for them to positively clear the case head datum. The newer lots, if and when, might be different, so you cannot say anything about anything except for the lot(s) on hand. ... felix

LAH
07-08-2007, 07:46 AM
Not sure where they are produced but maybe this will help.

4060MAY
07-08-2007, 09:20 AM
I bought some from Wideners, couldn't get F150.
Used them in a 38-50Rem 58grs FFF, and an over primer wad.
shot a 40 shot match, all went off and went where they pointed, not necessarily on the target.
FYI they were shot in a No.3 Remington Hepburn.
I also shot the in my CPA 44 1/2 with no misfires, I tried some 9 1/2M Remington primers in the CPA, and had to strike them twice to go off, need to adjust the Main spring.
My friend tried them in a series 70, 1911, no problem.

JeffinNZ
07-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Play devil's advocate again..........

There is a lot to be said for supporting the local industry. You guys have great US primers and while some might be short supply right now due to Mr Bush's best efforts in the Middle East I think it is worth supporting local.

Example of how Kiwi BP shooters shot themselves in the foot.

For years the only regular commercially available BP in NZ was Elephant. Not great powder but pretty good and better than nothing. Along comes cheap Chinese powder which is very dirty burning and weak. The natives all start buying it cos is it cheap and then the importer of the Elephant stops importing as his sales have dropped. Now all you can buy in NZ is cheap, crappy Chinese powder and worse still, it is now the same price as the Elephant was. Nett result for the BP natives is they now have an inferior product that costs the same as the better grade and they caused the problems themselves.

Just a thought.

felix
07-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Not unusual, Jeff. Perhaps quality food products in the US have already met their demise. ... felix

Blammer
07-08-2007, 08:09 PM
only difference here is that the primers are made in country.

MAYBE a bit of competition will be good for them.

4060MAY
07-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Jeff
Hasn't Elephant been out of business for about 3-5 yrs. The plant blew and they didn't rebuild.
Black Powder here is made by GOEX, some of it good some not.
Most competitive shooters are shooting Swiss powder.
We also have KIK from Slovenia, and Scheutzen/Wano from Germany
Most of the chinese powder seems to be Fireworks lifting powder.

not sure why the other powders are not available in NZ.

Primer topic.
I had Federal primers on order for 3 months, couldn't get them from my supplier, the Wolf primers were not cheaper delivered, just available.

Buckshot
07-09-2007, 11:30 AM
.............The Elephant powder operation was going to be sold to a new and very motivated buyer who had plans on completely renovating and modernizing the operation. But what happens? Along comes a major flood which does considerable damage to the existing infrastructure of the facility. The entire operation and the sale was toast. Too bad as Elephant was VERY responsive to the consumer and made major efforts to produce what was wanted. In fact they were pretty much the ones who altered Goex's complacent attitude ie: We're the only game in town.

That photo looks exactly like the packaging that the PMC primers Graf & Son had, and were closing out. Packs of 100 in individual compartmented trays, and 10 trays to a pack. Five packs in a sealed plastic sleeve inside that larger carton. Graf had them at $56/5000 and no shipping. Just the $20 per order haz mat :-) I bought a few.

According to the guy at Graf, the highpower shooters at Quantico thought very highly of them.

................Buckshot

Lloyd Smale
07-09-2007, 04:31 PM
I agree with you totaly but ive got DA wheelguns that need to be fed now and theres no federal primers to be found. I wouldnt mine paying the extra 50 bucks federal charges if theyd just put some on the market. Im down to my last 5000 small fed pistol primers and that wont last half the summer.
Play devil's advocate again..........

There is a lot to be said for supporting the local industry. You guys have great US primers and while some might be short supply right now due to Mr Bush's best efforts in the Middle East I think it is worth supporting local.

Example of how Kiwi BP shooters shot themselves in the foot.

For years the only regular commercially available BP in NZ was Elephant. Not great powder but pretty good and better than nothing. Along comes cheap Chinese powder which is very dirty burning and weak. The natives all start buying it cos is it cheap and then the importer of the Elephant stops importing as his sales have dropped. Now all you can buy in NZ is cheap, crappy Chinese powder and worse still, it is now the same price as the Elephant was. Nett result for the BP natives is they now have an inferior product that costs the same as the better grade and they caused the problems themselves.

Just a thought.

JeffinNZ
07-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Jeff
Hasn't Elephant been out of business for about 3-5 yrs. The plant blew and they didn't rebuild.
Black Powder here is made by GOEX, some of it good some not.
Most competitive shooters are shooting Swiss powder.
We also have KIK from Slovenia, and Scheutzen/Wano from Germany
Most of the chinese powder seems to be Fireworks lifting powder.

not sure why the other powders are not available in NZ.

Primer topic.
I had Federal primers on order for 3 months, couldn't get them from my supplier, the Wolf primers were not cheaper delivered, just available.

I have a supply of Swiss that I buy in bulk. It's great.

Scales of ecomony. On a good day the population of New Zealand is 4 million. Not so many of us shoot black powder and moving a class 1.1D around the world ex the US must be too much like hard work for the return.

Such is our lot.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

mark348
07-14-2007, 03:37 PM
for whatever its worth,,, i had read online somewhere? that the wolf primers were formerly distributed by pmc,,,,,,,

Fireball 57
07-15-2007, 12:26 AM
FWIW: I had the same info as Buckshot. Some of the competition AR shooters were raving about Wolf primers but, it was short lived. Personally, my stash of primers dates before the Clinton regime. Good luck!

Lloyd Smale
07-15-2007, 04:45 AM
fireball its tough to find a primer in my house thats more then a year old. I buy in case quanitys and on a good year will go through 5-6 cases Im right now down to a little over two cases of small and am getting nervous about feeding the da wheel guns. It would sure be great to hear someone with a small primer da gun tht has tested the wolfs to see if they are reliable in da mode.
FWIW: I had the same info as Buckshot. Some of the competition AR shooters were raving about Wolf primers but, it was short lived. Personally, my stash of primers dates before the Clinton regime. Good luck!