PDA

View Full Version : Logan 820 lathe

BeeMan
01-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Yesterday I looked at a Logan 820 lathe. The owner has a small shop to do side work and is terminally ill. The equipment hasn't been used for about 5 years and the lathe is covered in chips from the last time it was used. A machinist friend with me turned it on, engaged the feed, looked it over and thought it would clean up. It comes with a pile of tooling; steady rest, turret, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, a set of collets (smaller version than 5C but Hardinge), live centers, drill chuck, and probably some more I'm forgetting. I did not see a quick change tool post but there were piles cutting tools laying around.

The owner seems to be more concerned about emptying his shop so his wife won't have to do it, than getting maximum dollar. He says all tooling goes with the lathe. Specs on line show this is a 10 x 24 machine, and it is 110v with a belt drive.

Any suggestions on a reasonable target price? I'm the first to look at this, so I'm not facing any competition yet.

As an aside, he had a couple oddities procured from auctions. One was a Pratt Whitney jig borer, probably 10 feet to the top of the head. The other was a Bridgeport dual head tracing mill, with a hydraulic system that would follow a master part in 3 axis. I guess it was the predecessor of a CNC for production runs. I had an idea that if the tracer mill doesn't sell, to buy it at scrap value and try to find another mill at scrap needing a Bridgeport head. I might be able to get in a mill for a few hundred bucks that way.

BeeMan

oneokie
01-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Do a google search. Lots of those listed.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-05-2013, 11:56 AM
The tooling and accessories are worth way more than than the lathe

seagiant
01-05-2013, 01:29 PM
The tooling and accessories are worth way more than than the lathe

Hi,
Yes,this is true and something to keep in mind because one day YOU will be looking to sale! This is one reason you buy quality! Here is my 1945 Clausing 12x36 lathe that I bought from a friend after he had rebuilt the motor and fwd/rev switch and cleaned it up as it had been in storage for 20 yrs! This was good as it has little actual wear and was never used in a commercial shop! I paid $1500 but live in a non industrial area of the country and good American Iron, in good shape is hard to find!