PDA

View Full Version : World's steepest street visit

JeffinNZ
01-05-2013, 05:38 AM
Last weekend when Kiera and I went to my home town of Dunedin to visit my mother in hospital we visited Baldwin Street in North East Valley. This is the steepest street in the world. My late father grew up 'down the Valley' and had many great stories from the Depression one of which involving a car tyre being let go down a similar though not so steep street.

Here is Kiera leaning into the gradient.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Other%20stuff/Baldwin1.jpg

Here is the info:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Other%20stuff/Baldwin2.jpg

Walking up was one thing but coming down was something else. A fit young lady jogged DOWN the hill as we were going up.

41 mag fan
01-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Had to be drunk and fall or slip on that hill!

enfield
01-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Does anybody park on the street, do you chain your car to a post or just hope the park brake holds?

skruske
01-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Curious. The pitch of the roof on the house slopes toward the up side of the hill. [smilie=1:

Seems rather foolish to let water run off the roof only to have to channel it back down hill.

MBTcustom
01-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Curious. The pitch of the roof on the house slopes toward the up side of the hill. [smilie=1:

Seems rather foolish to let water run off the roof only to have to channel it back down hill.

Well, it's probably just a drop in the bucket (pun intended) to the runoff from the house above!

Jim
01-05-2013, 09:54 AM
I bet Baldwin Street would be fun with a coat of ice on it!

nitroproof
01-05-2013, 12:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHGJejmSjg4

OK Boys & Girls... Fallowfield Avenue is one of the steepest streets in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. This occurred after an ice storm two years ago.

Enjoy!

Mal Paso
01-05-2013, 12:03 PM
That's almost as steep as my driveway! WOW!

fouronesix
01-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Jeff,
That is one steep street! Say that three times fast :)

The house, walls, doors and windows look plumb, it's just the camera was tilted a little. If the camera were held level the street would appear even more pitched!

JeffinNZ
01-05-2013, 03:53 PM
I girl died riding down Baldwin Street in a wheelie bin (household garbage bin with wheels). Drunk university students do very short sighted things.

Jim
01-05-2013, 05:03 PM
I girl died riding down Baldwin Street in a wheelie bin (household garbage bin with wheels). Drunk university students do very short sighted things.

At the risk of hijacking the thread subject, many years ago, I worked for a contractor that put all the power and lights on a bridge. One day during lunch, one of the helpers decided to take a ride down the bridge on a buck of scaffolding with wheels on it. He was out of work a coupla' weeks from injuries sustained when it hit the guard rail and flipped.

45 2.1
01-05-2013, 07:36 PM
That is a 34.96 % slope or a 19 degree - 16 minute - 20 second off horizontal grade. I've built a couple of streets in East St. Louis, IL. on the bluff that make that look almost level. I've seen a steeper one than I built down around Silver Dollar City. Lots of steep streets..............

Jim
01-05-2013, 08:28 PM
That is a 34.96 % slope or a 19 degree - 16 minute - 20 second off horizontal grade. I've built a couple of streets in East St. Louis, IL. on the bluff that make that look almost level. I've seen a steeper one than I built down around Silver Dollar City. Lots of steep streets..............

Just out of curiosity, I Googled 'World's steepest street' and found Baldwin Street listed on Wikipedia as the holder of the prestigous position. Apparently, the much steeper streets you built were not registered.

Bello
01-05-2013, 08:30 PM
That's crazy there is a street in jersey city nj that's so damn steep that it scares me on a hot summer day with sticky tires!!!

shooter93
01-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Go to our county seat and the whole town looks a lot like that....lol.

Mal Paso
01-05-2013, 10:45 PM
My driveway tops out at 22 degrees, is dirt, and a real challenge when it rains.

45 2.1
01-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Just out of curiosity, I Googled 'World's steepest street' and found Baldwin Street listed on Wikipedia as the holder of the prestigous position. Apparently, the much steeper streets you built were not registered.

I would say Google isn't the last word on much of anything......... I've seen driveways and streets much steeper than those mentioned here, but again, that was the business I was in so I noticed them.

felix
01-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Bob, what about that one in Alton? I did that one taking movie pictures with 8mm back in the day...circa 1958..... ... felix

ffg
01-09-2013, 12:09 PM
That is one steep street , wow !

popper
01-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Jeff - that is a steep one. Been down the one in San Fran, wasn't to bad. Not to be outdone - of course - 51st between College Ave & Swope Pkwy by Keys stadium. Probably 150 yds either way to the bottom. Fast sled would get you most of the way to the top of the other side. The '47 Stude wouldn't make the bluff from the north but gramp's Chrysler would.

Isaac
01-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing.

What's at the bottom and top? Are there intersection's or does the road level out for a distance?

Isaac

ffg
01-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Kids that grow up on that street end up with one leg longer than the other, they get to the flats and walk in circles.

ffg
01-09-2013, 01:36 PM
I looked on street view ( Google map ) and at the bottom is a stop sign and a Tee intersection !

45 2.1
01-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Bob, what about that one in Alton? I did that one taking movie pictures with 8mm back in the day...circa 1958..... ... felix

Haven't seen it Felix... I've been in Alton once or twice in the last thirty years. I've seen drives/short streets around the bluff in E St. Louis and north of it approach a 1:1 slope (that's a 45 degree vertical angle folks).

starmac
01-10-2013, 03:08 AM
1 to 1 slopes can be pretty tough and tricky ----------------- on a bulldozer.

felix
01-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Bob, the 45 degree street I know of actually is/was top-coated with the original St. Louis dark red house-brick you are familiar with. Too steep for a black-top application, even with today's equipment? Anyway, this street intersects 90 degrees left going up hill from a north going street from downtown, assuming the river goes north-WEST from downtown. ... felix

45 2.1
01-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Bob, the 45 degree street I know of actually is/was top-coated with the original St. Louis dark red house-brick you are familiar with. Yes, paving brick on a sand bed... possible with a brick-layer and hod carriers at that time. Too steep for a black-top application, even with today's equipment? Possible with the right equipment, but I don't know any contractor that would do it..... very dangerous. Possible to pump concrete and finish though. Anyway, this street intersects 90 degrees left going up hill from a north going street from downtown, assuming the river goes north-WEST from downtown. I don't know either, but have seen several streets around the country that match it. Thanks for the confirmation on a 45 degree / 1:1 street.... felix

Pat I.
01-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Boy some people can't even let a simple topic like this go without being bigger and better. Neat picture Jeff just make sure the kid stays off the roller skates.

swheeler
01-11-2013, 12:43 PM
WOW! Jeff do I see a purple skateboard in your future?;)