PDA

View Full Version : Staking Alignment Pins

alamogunr
07-05-2007, 11:58 PM
I've seen several references to loose alignment pins in Lee blocks, primarily the 6 cavity Group Buys. The fix recommended is to "stake" the pins in place. I am assuming that this refers to using a prick punch to upset the metal of the aluminum block around the hole the pin is inserted into and causing the metal to flow, tightening up the pin. I'm just wanting to make sure I understand this before I ruin a mold. I haven't had the problem yet but Murphy (not the one on this board) is alive and well in my shop.

John

Springfield
07-06-2007, 12:12 AM
Actually I use a small flat end punch and peen over the edge of the pin hole. Figured I had less chance of causing the mould to hold open too far than way. Also less chance of breaking off the edge of the metal in the hole. But a punch would work also.

Buckshot
07-06-2007, 02:12 AM
.............Springfield has the right idea. Use a FN punch.

.................Buckshot

imashooter2
07-06-2007, 08:47 AM
I used a center punch to stipple the pin. Found it much more effective than trying to collapse the hole.

alamogunr
07-06-2007, 09:09 AM
I used a center punch to stipple the pin. Found it much more effective than trying to collapse the hole.

I assume that you drive the pin out of the block and stipple the area behind the exposed section to increase the diameter and create more friction, then press the pin back into the block. I know this sounds obvious but I have a habit of overlooking obvious details and making a mess of things.

John

imashooter2
07-06-2007, 10:07 AM
I assume that you drive the pin out of the block and stipple the area behind the exposed section to increase the diameter and create more friction, then press the pin back into the block. I know this sounds obvious but I have a habit of overlooking obvious details and making a mess of things.

John

Yes, that's exactly right. The "press out of the block" isn't a big deal since the pin is already moving or I wouldn't touch it. I leave a short section of the rear of the pin undisturbed to provide a guide back into the block.

USARO4
07-06-2007, 10:54 AM
I put a small dab of permatex gasket seal in the pin hole.

Netherwolf
07-07-2007, 07:18 AM
I put a small dab of permatex gasket seal in the pin hole.

How would a small dab of J&B Weld compound do?
Netherwolf

USARO4
07-07-2007, 09:43 AM
I picked the gasket seal because of its resistance to high temp. Dont know about JB, its good stuff but it might burn up.

Springfield
07-07-2007, 01:31 PM
I tried locktite and JB weld to try and keep the pivot pins from turning, neither worked. I'm sure taking the pins out and stippling them works too but seems like a lot of extra work to me, and I try to avoid work whenever possible!

imashooter2
07-07-2007, 01:43 PM
I tried locktite and JB weld to try and keep the pivot pins from turning, neither worked. I'm sure taking the pins out and stippling them works too but seems like a lot of extra work to me, and I try to avoid work whenever possible!

I tried collapsing the hole first and it didn't work. After another short casting session, the pin was moving again. Rather than try to collapse the hole again I did the stippling. I think the success of the stippling is because the pin gets material raised over a large area rather than just collapsing the edge of the hole.