PDA

View Full Version : Will the green anti-tilt followers work in a

C.F.Plinker
01-04-2013, 06:20 PM
20 round straight (Colt style) AR-15 magazine?

Doc65
01-04-2013, 06:29 PM
That's a good question, I've never had a reason to try it, as I remember they are quite a bit taller than the factory 20 rd al follower, so you'd likely lose some capacity. I've never tried it as I've never had an issue with any of my 20 rd mags. then again they are ALL the old ones with al followers...

Artful
01-04-2013, 06:33 PM
I have not tried it but It should function just fine, I don't know if you'll loose capacity.

What followers do you have now that you need to change them out?

Magazine history lesson
http://www.fulton-armory.com/%5Cfaqs%5CAR-FAQs%5CARMags.htm

John F.
01-12-2013, 02:01 AM
I started with the M16 in 1977, and have shot them extensively in competition and otherwise, and still consider the original GI 20's with aluminum followers the best ever made. I've seen them take abuse you wouldn't believe. Years ago, a few people were putting the "new, improved"green anti-tilt followers into them. This was when the entire mags were only bringing $15, and the aluminum followers sold quickly for $5 each on the few occasions they became available. (This was to put them in later commercial Colt 20's with the crappy black plastic followers.)

The green followers were designed to reduce malfunctions in GI 30's -- they were never intended for the 20's. BTW, there's
a newer, even more improved follower to replace the green ones. The new GI 30's have brown followers for identification.

I strongly advise you NOT to modify your GI 20's unless you actually have a known problem with them.
Sometimes, there's a temptation to fiddle with something just "because," but in this case, it's best to resist!:-D

Hope this helps!
John

bruce drake
01-12-2013, 02:45 AM
The newer green followers (John F is right, the newest followers are tan and shaped differently) they will work but you should replace the mag spring as well, because the old Al followers secure to the springs differently. You can reuse the older mag springs but you have to trim the green follower's center spindle down a bit to secure the older spring to the follower and keep the 20 rnd capacity. If you don't trim the spindle in the middle down and just connect the spring to the follower, you'll max at 18 rounds.

Bruce

milprileb
01-12-2013, 04:34 PM
The mags of VN era work flawlessly if clean and not damaged. Yes, newer mags and followers are improved versions
but they improve upon a near perfect mag to begin with. Followers to transplant are cheap, try a few and find out.
However if you are truly expecting great running GI mags to get better , I doubt you will. I got no complaints with VN
era mags, they served me well then and I did not have any issues with the new GI mags with green followers or the Magpulls
or the ultra smooth H&K mags in Iraq or Afghanistan. No mag issued by Uncle Sam failed to ever give me an issue... but I
maintained them religiously and I am sure that pays off: I got ten fingers and toes still.

bruce drake
01-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Preventative Maintenance is the key to everything! As a former Ordnance Officer, I am glad someone else mentioned that!

Bruce