PDA

View Full Version : WC 860 in 35/348 AI

frank505
07-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Finally got some shooting done despite the damn heat. 76.5 grains of WC 860 ignited by a Federal 215 and a 280 grain gas check bullet from Mountain Molds does right at 2000 fps. I shot some two shot groups yesterday afternoon and it seems to want to be accurate. The reason for the two shot groups is barrel heat, at 95+ the barrel gets very hot with only two shots. I think this load will do all I need in northwest WY. Maybe find a black bear in September.
The rifle is a Winchester 71 rebbarreled with a full magazine tube and restocked with nicer wood. It holds seven rounds and has a Lyman 66 receiver sight and sourdough front. I bought it some years ago at a gun show on my birthday!!! It came with dies and a little brass, I guess it was done up when you could not get 348 bullets or the guy wanted something different. No matter, this rifle will also shoot Kodiak 250's at 2400 if ya think ya need it. The receiver was made in the second year of 71 production and is very slick to operate,unlike the newer ones I handled.